Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 01:09 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,686,891 times

Advertisements

I have a good friend who lives in Minneapolis who constantly raves about the beauty and great quality of life there. I grew up in New England and am familiar with natural beauty and seasons. Here is the crux of my thread; are winters in Minneapolis worse than in Massachusetts? I plan to visit Minneapolis, but it may be during the winter months (Dec-Feb) and want to know what I might be able to see or do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 01:34 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,895,538 times
`many Minnesotans and their communities tend to embrace the winter months and there is some kind of outdoor activity scheduled every weekend of the year somewhere around the metro. One of the biggest is coinciding with this year's Super Bowl in Minneapolis tho it occurs in St Paul, which would almost assuredly include some giant Ice Castle in normal times, but with the winters being as warm as they have been the last several years, my not be included this time around.

https://www.wintercarnival.com/

Minneapolis and St. Paul Events Calendar and Things To Do 2017 | City Pages

Old 10-09-2017, 01:54 PM

3,711 posts, read 3,642,566 times
I am originally from NW NJ, 50 miles outside NYC. The quality of life is excellent here (infrastructure, schools, education, employment, parks, safety). Simply put, we operate very efficiently.

Natural beauty.........eh. I want to be careful here because I can find natural beauty in a lot of things. In some ways, corn fields can be beautiful. But I would not consider MN to have more natural beauty than average. The north shore (along lake superior) and the river bluffs along the Mississippi (Red Wing, Lake City, Wabasha) being the most beautiful. In NJ, I lived near the Delaware Water Gap/Appalacian foothills, which I considered very pretty,much like the river bluff area I mentioned.

Winter, probably worse here. We get less snow, and much smaller snowstorms. But we get much colder as well. I'll say this much, we handle winter very well (plowing, salting, staying home when necessary). Generally speaking, life continues on here during the winter, by necessity. Many of our natural beauty looks as pretty, if not more during the winter (our waterfalls freeze for instance).

I would not let winter prevent you from visiting what is otherwise known as a winter state.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:44 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,667,665 times
Winters here have less snow than Boston. While it is often colder, that cold means you don’t have that damp feeling all the time. As to natural beauty, I consider it quite beautiful but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Most people who relish the winter months engage in some sort of outdoor activity. Nordic skiing, snowmobiling, and ice fishing are popular.

If you visit in the winter, try hiking or snowshoeing in Ft Snelling State Park. It’s in the cities but gives you a good taste of the Mississippi River area.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:25 PM

131 posts, read 319,226 times
I am a transplant from Boston (via a couple of other cities) and I have lived in the Twin Cities area for almost five years. Here are my (blunt) opinions:

1. New England is much more scenic than Minnesota (the Boston area in particular has the advantage of proximity to the Atlantic, not to mention the White Mountains of New Hampshire, Green Mountains of Vermont, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, etc). The Twin Cities metro area is very leafy (with some pockets of gently rolling hills), but nothing spectacular in the natural beauty department.

2. I would take a Boston winter (including the "nor'easters") anytime over a Minneapolis winter.

3. The Twin Cities area does boast a considerably lower cost of living, in addition to an abundance of high-paying jobs. This makes it much easier to buy a large house and raise a family here.

4 The traffic in the Twin Cities region is much more tolerable than Greater Boston, however there are numerous unsafe (antiquated) highway cloverleafs and left exits/merges in this region. There is an odd mix of drivers in this region as well (either five mph under the limit in the left lane or riding your bumper on the highway when it is raining heavily).

5. Downtown Minneapolis is very disappointing for a region of 3.8 million. It is frequently deserted outside of working hours, and is not an inviting place. The uptown area is a rather vibrant (albeit small) node of activity close to downtown, however. There is no comparison between Minneapolis and Boston with respect to urban attractions/amenities.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:09 PM

369 posts, read 630,962 times
I lived in NY and NJ for 7 years, originally from the PNW, lived in Minneapolis now for almost 4 years. It is very pretty in its own way, although it's just different than New England. There isn't an ocean and everything is less than 100 years old, but it has its moments. I think the winters are just different. We don't get giant snow dumps, but it also never goes away. There's snow on the ground for 4 months straight. It gets a lot colder, too. But I have never been snowed in and school cancelations for snow just don't happen. So I guess, what is "worse" to you? I think that just depends on the person. I do prefer the history of New England, the main stress USA feel of so many New England towns... a lot of this is suburban sprawl, but that's because the towns developed as an extension of the big city, not as towns in and of themselves.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:17 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,403,925 times
Go live in Texas for a few years. That will open your eyes as to how beautiful Minnesota really is.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:58 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,686,891 times
Thanks for the responses everyone. I really appreciate them. BostontoKC, we were home visiting family in Boston in June and I loved the changes. I was surprised to read that Minneapolis received less snow than Boston! That's why these forums are good for dispelling myths because I was sure that was not the case. Boston gets pretty cold, but the consensus seems to be that Minneapolis is colder?!!!! However, it sounds like they handle the snow better over there than in Boston.

I was not a huge winter guy, but cross country skiing sounds interesting. I guess I need to purchase some winter clothing because I don't think my sneakers and shorts will cut it!

Old 10-10-2017, 10:00 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,647,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonToKC View Post

5. Downtown Minneapolis is very disappointing for a region of 3.8 million. It is frequently deserted outside of working hours, and is not an inviting place. The uptown area is a rather vibrant (albeit small) node of activity close to downtown, however. There is no comparison between Minneapolis and Boston with respect to urban attractions/amenities.
You need to come back to visit some of the urban neighborhoods of the Twin Cities sometime. A lot has really changed in the last decade - The North Loop, Mill District and Northeast are some of my favorite places to hang out and 10 years ago were pretty empty places. Are there as many attractions/amenities as Boston?

Old 10-11-2017, 07:28 AM

3,711 posts, read 3,642,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I really appreciate them. BostontoKC, we were home visiting family in Boston in June and I loved the changes. I was surprised to read that Minneapolis received less snow than Boston! That's why these forums are good for dispelling myths because I was sure that was not the case. Boston gets pretty cold, but the consensus seems to be that Minneapolis is colder?!!!! However, it sounds like they handle the snow better over there than in Boston.

I was not a huge winter guy, but cross country skiing sounds interesting. I guess I need to purchase some winter clothing because I don't think my sneakers and shorts will cut it!
Yes, we are 15 degrees colder, which makes all the difference in whether the snow stays, or melts. Snow begets more cold, so once the snow falls and it's consistently below freezing, the snow ensures it stays below freezing if that makes sense. In the core of winter (Nov - Feb), you can bet the snow is staying around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul