Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 06:58 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times

Advertisements

For sure MSP is my favorite Metro Area that’s not on the West Coast.

Is there truth to this article? Are the wages for positions with multiple weeks of training that’s at least usually needed, fair to the rents, utilities, etc?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...apolis/384975/

I mean, Indianapolis, Fargo and Pittsburgh are, Ive heard, (opinions in the media) bang for the buck places with an actual inexpensive cost of living but $12 dollars an hour is considered a good salary both of those places and sever others like it, How is that in a way, affordable?

Really hope the Twin Cities area isn’t like that. Particularly when it’s not that cheap, on a Nationwide Scale anyway to live there. Actually seems slightly more than average for COL, maybe like Tacoma, WA out around where I reside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 09:03 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
I would say the article is for the most part true. The one problem is that it was written in 2015 and housing has become exceedingly less affordable in the last couple years. It’s still much more affordable than the coastal cities but expensive when compared to cities like Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore, Detroit, etc.

What constitutes good pay is subjective but I think very few people in the Twin Cities would consider $12/hour good pay. In fact I’d argue that it isn’t even a livable wage.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:18 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
They make it sound like a utopia which is downright false. This "fiscal-equalization" perhaps isn't working as well as they state as people are still getting shot by the dozen in specific areas of the twin cities and school ratings still have a wide disparity amongst wealthier and poorer areas, etc; Also because of this spread the wealth type of mentality taxes are second only to California for the highest tax bracket. Housing isn't outlandish but higher than many places and property taxes are very high!

There are a lot of positives to Minnesota and the Twin Cities but realistically there are some major downfalls too.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:52 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
I agree with both posts above. Housing has skyrocketed in the last two years (as it has in many places), and our taxes are high. The twin cities do make a great combination of good paying jobs with relative affordability. We are a metro where by and large most can choose the lifestyle you want to strive for, whether that be a one income family in a $175k townhome, or a two income family living in a $700k house, both are options here still.

But make no mistake, as others have said, if you want low cost of living regardless of quality of life, that belongs to rust belt cities, Sioux falls, Des Moines, KC, Indy, and a host of other southern cities. My friend has a good paying engineer in job in KC, and he bought his house a few years ago for $93k. Those types of deals just don't exist here and haven't for a long time.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:24 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I would say the article is for the most part true. The one problem is that it was written in 2015 and housing has become exceedingly less affordable in the last couple years. It’s still much more affordable than the coastal cities but expensive when compared to cities like Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore, Detroit, etc.

What constitutes good pay is subjective but I think very few people in the Twin Cities would consider $12/hour good pay. In fact I’d argue that it isn’t even a livable wage.
Even in St Cloud you could be hurting on that, $12 per
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul