Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:41 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times

Advertisements

Yeah, whatever. See ya at Lake Calhoun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 09:17 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Lindbergh? He was an avowed White supremacist who rode through Berlin with Hitler seig heiling the masses. Better change the names of the airport terminal and historical site. While we're at it, we better rename Ramsey County, Ramsey Middle School, the city of Ramsey, Washington county, Washington Aves, Jefferson Elementary School, Jefferson Highway & about half the streets in Uptown which were named after Civil War generals turned Indian killers. Should probably rename "Progressive" politics too since the movement was founded on the belief in White supremacy & a disdain for immigrants/minorities. The activists have a lot of work cut out for themselves.
When the Confederate monuments were being taken down against the will of the majority, the argument was "Losers don't get monuments". The Confederates were called seditious and treasonous for fighting against the union army. By that logic, the Sioux lost, after being seditious and treasonous in fighting against the union army. Might as well blow up that Crazy Horse monument in South Dakota on the way to wipe Jefferson, Washington and Lincoln (an avowed White supremacist) off Mt. Rushmore.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Good thing you weren't around in 1962! It was a politically-correct name-changing party!

You see, that year the United States Board on Geographic Names changed the names of over 170 features in the United States. Every single new name included the term 'negro'. Interestingly, every one of the old names also included a single term. It also began with an 'n', but it had six letters instead of five. But people got all offended over those names! So they changed them. Just to placate the offended!
Negro? That's a disgusting and racist term. Try calling someone a "Negro" on a college campus and see how fast you're expelled. Try calling your employees "Negroes" & see how fast you get slapped with a lawsuit. Imagine the cops referring to suspects as "Negroes"?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:55 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Negro? That's a disgusting and racist term. Try calling someone a "Negro" on a college campus and see how fast you're expelled. Try calling your employees "Negroes" & see how fast you get slapped with a lawsuit. Imagine the cops referring to suspects as "Negroes"?
Exactly.

You're offended by 'negro'. Thus, you don't really have any opposition to changing the names of things. And you don't really have any opposition to political correctness, because altering speech/terminology/behavior so as not to offend is the definition of political correctness.

So what it boils down to is a subjective argument over what is offensive and what is not. Some claim that honoring certain individuals with statues or street names or holidays is misguided, as those people are not worthy of being so honored in such a manner. Some would put Robert E. Lee into that category. Some, V.I. Lenin. Some, Martin Luther King. But very few would claim that there is no person who should not be honored.

The problem is the people who come in gnashing their teeth over political correctness and pretending to oppose it on principle, because if you support some political correctness - such as not honoring Lenin with a statue, or not labeling people with racial epithets, or changing the term 'suicide bomber' to 'homicide bomber' in an attempt to avoid conveying the tragic victimhood implied by suicide on someone who is committing an act of terror - then you don't really oppose political correctness.

On some level, people know this. But they also know that it sounds a lot better to claim to oppose something on principle than to acknowledge that their point of view is merely a subjective difference of opinion. To this end, the magically absolve anything that is avoided if that thing offends them as being political correctness. I don't think most people do this on purpose. Partly, they just don't think. And partly, there's some willful self-deception going on.

We see this all the time. Notice how I referred to Denali earlier? No one's going off on that. Why? Because the boogeyman of political correctness is incessantly invoked by conservatives and Republicans, and the name 'Denali' has been supported for many years by the heavily-Republican Alaskan political establishment. So it's conveniently ignored. Lake Calhoun is being re-named? Orwellian! Mount McKinley was renamed? <crickets>

Need I even mention the hysterical reaction if someone doesn't wish the usual suspects a Christian-centric greeting during the holiday season? (Oh, dear - I said holiday season instead of Christmas season! Sometimes I forget to be politically correct!), or if a person fails to adopt the politically correct posture during the pre-sporting event song?

Note:
By the way, this was in 1962. The term 'negro' was at the time a mainstream term, and the one it was replacing was even then a vile epithet. I can't write it here, but you can figure it out. Anyway, 'negro' is mostly being replaced nowadays. More political correctness!

Oh, wait... I forgot... if you're offended, then it's magically not political correctness...

Old 12-04-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

You're offended by 'negro'. Thus, you don't really have any opposition to changing the names of things. And you don't really have any opposition to political correctness, because altering speech/terminology/behavior so as not to offend is the definition of political correctness.

So what it boils down to is a subjective argument over what is offensive and what is not. Some claim that honoring certain individuals with statues or street names or holidays is misguided, as those people are not worthy of being so honored in such a manner. Some would put Robert E. Lee into that category. Some, V.I. Lenin. Some, Martin Luther King. But very few would claim that there is no person who should not be honored.

The problem is the people who come in gnashing their teeth over political correctness and pretending to oppose it on principle, because if you support some political correctness - such as not honoring Lenin with a statue, or not labeling people with racial epithets, or changing the term 'suicide bomber' to 'homicide bomber' in an attempt to avoid conveying the tragic victimhood implied by suicide on someone who is committing an act of terror - then you don't really oppose political correctness.

On some level, people know this. But they also know that it sounds a lot better to claim to oppose something on principle than to acknowledge that their point of view is merely a subjective difference of opinion. To this end, the magically absolve anything that is avoided if that thing offends them as being political correctness. I don't think most people do this on purpose. Partly, they just don't think. And partly, there's some willful self-deception going on.

We see this all the time. Notice how I referred to Denali earlier? No one's going off on that. Why? Because the boogeyman of political correctness is incessantly invoked by conservatives and Republicans, and the name 'Denali' has been supported for many years by the heavily-Republican Alaskan political establishment. So it's conveniently ignored. Lake Calhoun is being re-named? Orwellian! Mount McKinley was renamed? <crickets>

Need I even mention the hysterical reaction if someone doesn't wish the usual suspects a Christian-centric greeting during the holiday season? (Oh, dear - I said holiday season instead of Christmas season! Sometimes I forget to be politically correct!), or if a person fails to adopt the politically correct posture during the pre-sporting event song?

Note:
By the way, this was in 1962. The term 'negro' was at the time a mainstream term, and the one it was replacing was even then a vile epithet. I can't write it here, but you can figure it out. Anyway, 'negro' is mostly being replaced nowadays. More political correctness!

Oh, wait... I forgot... if you're offended, then it's magically not political correctness...
I'm not offended. I was being facetious & mocking their hypocrisy. One simply can not judge history through the modern progressive lens. If they really want to right the wrongs of history by renaming things, they should start with the institutions they so admire. Rename the Democratic Party that fought to maintain slavery and Jim Crow. Then they can rename Progressive politics, who's entire movement was founded on white supremacism, along with the beliefs that the poor, minorities and immigrants should be eliminated. How many of those same activists identify as or sympathize with Communism, the single most violent and fascist political ideology in the history of the world? Just leave the damn name alone and understand that people are not cartoon characters, but rather complex human beings who are never all good or all bad. Replacing Calhoun because he supported slavery is nonsense. More than half the country supported slavery. If we dig hard enough, every single historical figure prior to 1970 is flawed and a case could be raised to wipe them from history as well.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:09 PM

810 posts, read 851,233 times
Do you find the other N word offensive? I do however i think it is wrong to change it in a book. Such as Huck Finn. It was written in that time and that is how they talked. Today it is very offensive to use those words.

I don't think statues should be removed and history should be taught as REAL not made up crap that makes us out to always be the good guys because we are and were not. it is disgusting what the government did to Japanese AMERICANS during WW 2. It was a blatant violation of their rights. African Americans STILL to this day in some ares being treated s less than anyone else. ( that is putting it politely) And the FACT that it continued after the passage of Civil Rights. Gays still being mistreated every day. Then ignorant people say they don't want to hear they gay agenda/ Well treat them with the RESPECT they deserve and it would NOT be an issue. I guess treat everyone with respect regardless of the color of their skin, religion. etc.

As for Christmas shut up. It is not the only religious celebration going on this time of the year. if it offends you to hear happy Holidays you are an idiot. Not everyone is a Christian and not everyone celebrates Christmas. Some people are atheists. I say both usually more Happy Holidays. If someone says Merry Christmas I will usually say the same thing back to them.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:10 PM

810 posts, read 851,233 times
Quote:
I'm not offended. I was being facetious & mocking their hypocrisy. One simply can not judge history through the modern progressive lens. If they really want to right the wrongs of history by renaming things, they should start with the institutions they so admire. Rename the Democratic Party that fought to maintain slavery and Jim Crow. Then they can rename Progressive politics, who's entire movement was founded on white supremacism, along with the beliefs that the poor, minorities and immigrants should be eliminated. How many of those same activists identify as or sympathize with Communism, the single most violent and fascist political ideology in the history of the world? Just leave the damn name alone and understand that people are not cartoon characters, but rather complex human beings who are never all good or all bad. Replacing Calhoun because he supported slavery is nonsense. More than half the country supported slavery. If we dig hard enough, every single historical figure prior to 1970 is flawed and a case could be raised to wipe them from history as well.
It is too bad the democratic party back then is NOT the same as today. Look at where RACISM is more prevalent. it is in the south and most southern states are republican.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:23 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
Do you find the other N word offensive? I do however i think it is wrong to change it in a book. Such as Huck Finn. It was written in that time and that is how they talked. Today it is very offensive to use those words.

As for Christmas shut up. It is not the only religious celebration going on this time of the year. if it offends you to hear happy Holidays you are an idiot. Not everyone is a Christian and not everyone celebrates Christmas. Some people are atheists. I say both usually more Happy Holidays. If someone says Merry Christmas I will usually say the same thing back to them.
Wow. You sure are rude, calling the poster above you an idiot and telling them to shut up. Today it is very offensive to use those words.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:53 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
The only Christian in this thread objecting to your happy holidays is the Straw-man Christian in this post.

Quote:
Need I even mention the hysterical reaction if someone doesn't wish the usual suspects a Christian-centric greeting during the holiday season? (Oh, dear - I said holiday season instead of Christmas season! Sometimes I forget to be politically correct!)...
Careful now. Your mask is slipping and your hatred is showing.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:

I don't think statues should be removed and history should be taught as REAL not made up crap that makes us out to always be the good guys because we are and were not. it is disgusting what the government did to Japanese AMERICANS during WW 2. It was a blatant violation of their rights. African Americans STILL to this day in some ares being treated s less than anyone else. ( that is putting it politely) And the FACT that it continued after the passage of Civil Rights. Gays still being mistreated every day. Then ignorant people say they don't want to hear they gay agenda/ Well treat them with the RESPECT they deserve and it would NOT be an issue. I guess treat everyone with respect regardless of the color of their skin, religion. etc.

Happy Holidays? you sure that's what they've been saying? I've been saying Happy Hollandaise all these years, kinda thought it was dumb but didn't really seem that harmful. I'll try it your way this year.

from wiki...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul