U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 11:10 PM

22 posts, read 34,687 times

Advertisements

Good evening everyone,

I have been doing some research into the St. Paul area as there might be a work opportunity for me there. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but if something does materialize I'd like to be as informed as possible. I've done some research, but since my previous knowledge on Minnesota is pretty low I don't want to make too many assumptions. Anyway, I had some questions about the area I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

1) What is the crime rate like in St. Paul and the Twin Cities area in general? Are there any neighborhoods in St. Paul I should avoid should I end up moving there? Suburbs I should avoid? I'm probably less "street smart" than average so this is important to me.
2) What is traffic like commuting to downtown St. Paul? I've read that good public transit exists, so this might not be something that impacts me daily, but it still would be good to know.
3) Has the housing market in the Twin Cities area been similar to the national one? I've seen some fairly affordable condos in downtown St. Paul that intrigue me, so I'm curious about what the market has been like in the area.

Those are just a few things I've thought of right now. I don't want to bog people down with too many questions. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,293,725 times
Hi. Overall, the Twin Cities have a pretty low crime rate. If you are coming from the Detroit area, crime will be much less than what you hear about in the news, etc.
If you will be working in Downtown St. Paul, I would rule out the western Minneapolis suburbs because of the commute, but in the City itself, depending on budget, there are many nice areas. Downtown St. Paul itself is becoming a residential destination with all of the amenities that go along with that including light rail connection.

Other neighborhoods that are very nice, but a bit on the pricy side would be Cathedral Hill (Summit & Grand Ave. areas), Mac Groveland out toward St. Thomas, Highland Park. Como Park and St Anthony up by the U of M are pretty nice as well. These areas are right across the border from Minneapolis , so that's a bonus as it's quick access to all the amenities there. There are also a lot of nice homes across the river towards West St. Paul (not to be confused with the western part of St. Paul). Generally speaking the east side of St. Paul will be less expensive, but there tends to be more crime in those areas if that is a major concern.

For suburban areas, if you go further ease, Woodbury is your typically upper middle class, cookie cutter suburb with a lot of shopping options- although traffic coming into Downtown from there can be a pain. Mendota Heights, very nice, but more expensive- close to the airport and Mall of America if that's your thing. If you go to the Northern suburbs of St. Paul (Roseville, Shoreview, White Bear Lake, Maplewood) they are all generally pretty nice and mostly middle to upper class. Those suburbs have more of a lakes and forest feel in a lot of areas and are generally highly regarded.

Home prices in the Twin Cities area in general have been ticking up lately and are pretty expensive by Midwest standards. It seems like housing (apartments and single family) are not keeping up with population growth at the present and affordable housing is becoming a big issue-especially Minneapolis/Hennepin County, so if you find a good deal in a nice area with easy commute to Downtown, take it! Best of luck and I hope you are able to come visit before committing to a move.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:21 PM

1,928 posts, read 1,450,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1837 View Post
Good evening everyone,

I have been doing some research into the St. Paul area as there might be a work opportunity for me there. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but if something does materialize I'd like to be as informed as possible. I've done some research, but since my previous knowledge on Minnesota is pretty low I don't want to make too many assumptions. Anyway, I had some questions about the area I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

1) What is the crime rate like in St. Paul and the Twin Cities area in general? Are there any neighborhoods in St. Paul I should avoid should I end up moving there? Suburbs I should avoid? I'm probably less "street smart" than average so this is important to me.
2) What is traffic like commuting to downtown St. Paul? I've read that good public transit exists, so this might not be something that impacts me daily, but it still would be good to know.
3) Has the housing market in the Twin Cities area been similar to the national one? I've seen some fairly affordable condos in downtown St. Paul that intrigue me, so I'm curious about what the market has been like in the area.

Those are just a few things I've thought of right now. I don't want to bog people down with too many questions. Thank you in advance!
1) crime rate is very safe, most importantly most of the crime is in very specific areas, and not widespread. East St Paul, near lake phalen, as well as parts of frogtown are the areas of st Paul to avoid. And certainly north Minneapolis. But there's really no good reasons to even pass through these areas. And on the suburb front, avoid Brooklyn. Center and the southern half of Brooklyn Park.

2) generally speaking, most suburbs have great commuter bus options to the downtown's. Moreso to mpls vs St Paul however.

3) the housing market has been robust, as the current increases in price are not sustainable long term. We bought our house 18 months ago and it's already gained $50k in value. Many are surprised at how expensive our market is given it's in the Midwest. But we have a robust job market to match.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:22 PM

22 posts, read 34,687 times
Thanks for answering my questions Minnesota Spring and Citykid3785. It seems like there's a variety of housing options, but it is becoming pricier.

I appreciate your help!

Old 01-18-2018, 06:40 PM

6,503 posts, read 4,013,259 times
Well I am renting a two storey 5 bedroom house for 1,500. I split the rent with three roommates, so you can definitely find somewhere affordable if you know how/where to look and have people to help with expenses. Crime is pretty low. It feels pretty safe, just use common sense. There's some areas to avoid. People mention north Minneapolis but I am also not a fan of central Minneapolis, like Lake Street east of Uptown. (Powderhorn area)

I-94 usually isn't too bad. It can be a bit slow in the morning and rush hour but usually not a headache or anything but I am used to Dallas and Miami traffic which is horrible.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:32 AM

3,044 posts, read 2,039,014 times
Assuming you want to live in St. Paul, stay South of 94 and you will be good in terms of crime and safety. North of 94 you'll find Payne-Phalen(eastside), Daytons Bluff, Frogtown, and Midway, these areas are known for high crime, there are a few nice areas as well (Como is one that comes to mind). South of 94 you'll find Mac-Groveland, Highland, Cathedral Hill, and Battle Creek which on the whole are much nicer areas.

If you are looking into suburbs, you will be good just about anywhere. A couple St. Paul burbs I would personally avoid are South St. Paul (I personally just don't like it) and North Maplewood (crime from the eastside spills over).

Last edited by Grizzly Addams; 01-19-2018 at 04:47 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 03:54 PM

143 posts, read 424,713 times
Sunset Kid is on a rant rampage, I see.

I actually live in the Greater East Side. It's not as bad as some people say; I have actually had overwhelmingly good experiences with the people here, and I bicycle through it on a daily basis to my job at 3M. It isn't the wealthiest part of town, and yes there are some problems. But I have no regrets about purchasing a home here. I like my neighbors and neighborhood.

If you travel through the East Side, you'll see a lot of "East Side Pride" signs. Plenty of people like myself work to keep it from going down the tubes. Hence why you see the renaissance on Payne, the restored former 3M HQ building on Phalen Blvd, improvements being made to Phalen Park, a new bicycleway on Wheelock, the Gateway trail, and more.

Take the ramblings of a clearly deranged individual with a grain of salt. In fact, if you look back at this individuals posts for the past year, they are nearly all negative.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:13 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,654,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1837 View Post
Good evening everyone,

Statistically, St. Paul is lower crime than Minneapolis. I don't think of areas like Frogtown, North End, Mt. Airy or the Greater East Side as dangerous, necessarily. They are lower-income than other parts of the city, maybe a bit grittier, and yes, higher crime. But not so high crime that I personally would feel uncomfortable living in any of them.

Different people feel differently, though. If your own comfort level is closer to 0 crime than my own, I would stick to anywhere south of 94 and west of downtown St. Paul, and you will be fine.

Traffic is worst on 94 between downtowns (Minneapolis and St. Paul) at evening rush, because of the cross commute. Generally speaking, leaving downtown St. Paul or entering it from the North, South, or East is easier than commuting into downtown Minneapolis.

There is light rail linking the downtowns (Green Line/Central), bus rapid transit running up Snelling, some downtown-to-downtown and suburb-to-downtown routes that stick to the freeways, for the most part, and numerous neighborhood bus routes. The transit density is lower in St. Paul than in Minneapolis.

Our housing market would be considered stable by national standards, losing less cumulative value than in other parts of the country and recovering it faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or