Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in little known facts and oddities about Minneapolis. Like what foods in minn. known for (ny strip steak, philly cheese steak ect.). Is it affordable for a blue collar worker? Wierd accents? stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:22 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I'm interested in little known facts and oddities about Minneapolis. Like what foods in minn. known for (ny strip steak, philly cheese steak ect.). Is it affordable for a blue collar worker? Wierd accents? stuff like that.
Well yes, it is fairly affordable for a blue collar worker.

Minnesota foods? First of all, a casserole is referred to as 'hot dish'. Lutefisk is pretty Minnesotan, although you will probably never see it, nor eat it once you figure out what it really is. Although there could be some dispute over this; but beer and brats are pretty Minnesotan as well. Another Minnesotan 'food' thing that comes to mind is that if you like hot and spicy food, then this is the wrong state. Even the Thai restaurants tone it down for Minnesota.

Mostly Minnesota is known for Spam, Hormel, Pilsbury and Green Giant.

The 'Minnesotan accent' is pretty hilarious, but unfortunately you will not hear it too often in the Twin Cities.

Oddities? I'll have to come back to that one.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:30 PM

73 posts, read 320,452 times
Default On a stick...

If you come out to the state fair (Haven't been to any smaller or regional fairs yet) you can get everything on a stick... corn dogs, t-shirts, spaghetti and meatballs, pictures, ect. Alas, no funnel cakes...

Also, if you order 'wild rice soup', sometimes called 'mn wild rice soup' its a creamy soup, very rich, not like the brothy ones I've seen elsewhere in the country.

Coming from PA I'd say its mostly a little cheaper here (gas is 15 cents cheaper, my weekly groceries went down 15-20 bucks a week. Housing is more expensive if you stay close to the twin cities.

As for oddities, its not in every state you can walk over the Mississippi.

Last edited by aperfectbass; 03-21-2008 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 03-22-2008, 12:42 AM

638 posts, read 3,123,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperfectbass View Post
Not in just a few steps, anyway!

One of the lesser-known oddities (or road-side curiosities) is the number of towns with huge fiberglass or cement statues of birds, fish, and other animals. You can include Paul Bunyun and Babe the Blue Ox in Bemidji; the loon in Vergas, the Prairie Chicken in Rothsay and so many more that I can't remember. I'm sure many other people could give other towns with other oversize critters; when our kids were little we tried to go to every small town in MN that had one of these roas-side attractions in it.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
-You can find the only 2 story outhouse in the world here, although I'm not exactly sure where.
-Minnesota is the land of 10,000 Lakes and Wisconsin is the cheese state yet Minnesota actually produces more dairy than Wisconsin and Wisconsin has more lakes than Minnesota.
-Liquor stores are closed on Sundays here

Old 03-22-2008, 04:02 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,861 times
The two story outhouse is in Belle Plaine, about 45 miles southwest of Minneapolis on US Hwy 169. It is no longer used, if you were curious about that.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:25 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,730 times
There is a book out there titled Weird Minnesota. There is a whole "Weird" series I guess...

Old 03-23-2008, 03:26 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
I spent a summer in the Chaska area. One food item I loved was Apple Pie with cinnamon ice cream. Yum, Yum!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
Not in just a few steps, anyway!

Sure you can--up in Itasca State Park, headwaters of the Mississippi. It is about 3" deep and about 20 feet across.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:25 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperfectbass View Post

Ah, I like that one. I'm somewhat of a road/bridge/civil engineering geek. Off the top of my head, Minneapolis alone has at least 13 walkable bridges across the Mississippi, and if the city ever builds the pedestrian portion on the new 35W bridge, it will be 14. (Or more. Did I miss any? I'm thinking of Ford, Lake/Marshall, Franklin, No. 9, Washington, 10th, Ol' Stoney, 3rd, Hennepin, Plymouth, Broadway, Lowry, and Camden. I've been on all of them and then some, but age and common sense keeps me off the railroad bridges these days.)

What else? If you do like spicy foods, the words "pretend I'm not white" might get you what you want at the ethnic restaurants.

And I've never even seen lutefisk, let alone tasted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul