Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Oh, you were protecting they's gender and then you went and spilt the beans anyway.

Take a plate of cookies over to they's house and discuss it like a couple of level-headed Minnesotans. You really should want to be on good terms with your driveway partner.
Dang!! I even re-read the post before submitting it...but missed this one! Ya got me! Lol.

Seriously, I do want to be on good terms with my neighbor. I didn't include the things they have said to me, both in person and via text. Cookies, pizza and a case of beer wouldn't work with this person, I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
We have plenty of these in the city.

Imagine the alley is on the east, the garages are west of the alley in the corner of the lot adjacent to the alley. The garages face each other with a small driveway in front of each.

The issue seems to be that snow is moved to the center between the driveways. To enter the garage, each neighbor must cross the other’s driveway. It would seem the OP’s neighbor does not use her garage and doesn’t want to have to shovel it anymore.

We almost bought a place that had a shared driveway, but I heard too many horror stories about them so we passed on it. This thread makes me glad we did.

I would second the plate of cookies idea. Apologize for bringing it up and maybe she’ll relent and shovel it. If not, i’m afraid you have three choices. Pay to have her drive partially shoveled so you can get in, try to drive over it, or park in the street.
Smart! If I knew then what I know now...I might have kept looking for a house with a different driveway/garage situation!

You described the driveway/garage situation well. The driveways could be seen as one piece of land with a garage at either end and an alley to one side. In order for either of us to get into our respective garages, we need to use each other's driveway. Except the driveways are separate properties and made with different materials (asphalt and cement). When it snows, another neighbor of ours uses their snowblower to clear the snow from both of our driveways, then the city comes by and leaves a big ridge across them (between the driveways and the alley). This is what needs to be shoveled.

My neighbor actually does use their garage - every day - and must cross over my driveway in order to access it. In fact, a couple of years ago, this person asked another neighbor to ask me to pull "as close as you possibly can" to my garage when I park in my driveway so my neighbor can pull into their garage easier (because they use my driveway). I don't have a big car and parked close to the garage anyway, but after that, I pulled even closer because I wanted to be a good neighbor and make it easier for them.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be apologizing for: "Apologize for bringing it up and maybe she'll relent and shovel it." Clarify, please? And I still don't think the cookie idea will do anything. Although... I do have some Girl Scout cookies and I think I'm going to raid the stash now!!

Old 03-02-2018, 01:59 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
On the bright side, most of the snow should be melting in the next couple of days. Otherwise would there be any way to shovel just enough snow out of the way so your car can slip in?

Old 03-02-2018, 06:52 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Nothing View Post
Smart! If I knew then what I know now...I might have kept looking for a house with a different driveway/garage situation!

You described the driveway/garage situation well. The driveways could be seen as one piece of land with a garage at either end and an alley to one side. In order for either of us to get into our respective garages, we need to use each other's driveway. Except the driveways are separate properties and made with different materials (asphalt and cement). When it snows, another neighbor of ours uses their snowblower to clear the snow from both of our driveways, then the city comes by and leaves a big ridge across them (between the driveways and the alley). This is what needs to be shoveled.

My neighbor actually does use their garage - every day - and must cross over my driveway in order to access it. In fact, a couple of years ago, this person asked another neighbor to ask me to pull "as close as you possibly can" to my garage when I park in my driveway so my neighbor can pull into their garage easier (because they use my driveway). I don't have a big car and parked close to the garage anyway, but after that, I pulled even closer because I wanted to be a good neighbor and make it easier for them.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be apologizing for: "Apologize for bringing it up and maybe she'll relent and shovel it." Clarify, please? And I still don't think the cookie idea will do anything. Although... I do have some Girl Scout cookies and I think I'm going to raid the stash now!!
Perfectly clear now. I think you’d probably only need four feet or so of her drive shoveled. If she’s using your drive and not shoveling hers, she’s a jerk and you’re stuck. I’d ask your guy to shovel that extra four feet and be done with it. Maybe she’s just tired of it because it’s March. See how next year goes.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 28,928 times
Used 2 stage snowblowers are plentiful and cheap on Craigslist... Then you wouldn't have to shovel

Old 03-06-2018, 10:43 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
Sounds like you're saddled with a plain old crappy neighbor. Forget trying to reason. Just plan to budget for the hired shovel to go the extra few loads next year. Ridge Removal Inc needs hired.

Or you could buy a 4x4 truck.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:44 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,227 times
Get back at her. Park your vehicle in your driveway in such a way that it makes it impossible for your neighbor to get into hers. If that don't work, try finding a different place to park for a few nights, and then cover your driveway with broken glass and roofing tacks.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:17 PM

254 posts, read 458,457 times
Even with all the descriptions I don't understand how this works. If a garage cannot be accessed without a neighbor shoveling the garage is poorly built. What if that neighbor didn't own a car? Would they still be expected to shovel? Shoveling the sidewalk in front of your house is a civic responsibility, but I never attached the same feeling to the driveway. I shovel it when I plan to use it...if I work from home i might shovel it at the end of the day instead of the morning.

I didn't grow up here so I have no ingrained culture around snow that I sometimes hear echoed, but I think shoveling snow is the worst possible thing about living here. I hate every moment of it. Part of me wants to not own a car so o don't have to, which is feasible as i live near downtown.

It sounds like the garages were built facing each over instead of the alley? That seems like really bad design.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:49 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladude60 View Post
Used 2 stage snowblowers are plentiful and cheap on Craigslist... Then you wouldn't have to shovel
It's possible that even a snowthrower would suffice-- we initially had a corded one that was about $100 (new) that worked pretty well for most snowfalls. We've since 'upgraded' to a single stage snowthrower that is gas-powered, we purchased it used for about $60.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:13 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
Even with all the descriptions I don't understand how this works. If a garage cannot be accessed without a neighbor shoveling the garage is poorly built. What if that neighbor didn't own a car? Would they still be expected to shovel? Shoveling the sidewalk in front of your house is a civic responsibility, but I never attached the same feeling to the driveway. I shovel it when I plan to use it...if I work from home i might shovel it at the end of the day instead of the morning.

I didn't grow up here so I have no ingrained culture around snow that I sometimes hear echoed, but I think shoveling snow is the worst possible thing about living here. I hate every moment of it. Part of me wants to not own a car so o don't have to, which is feasible as i live near downtown.

It sounds like the garages were built facing each over instead of the alley? That seems like really bad design.
That is how I read it.

If so - even if not - it is common in parts of St. Paul and Minneapolis, where neighborhoods were built with no or few plots with driveways which lead to the street and instead use alleys bisecting blocks behind the houses.

What may be initially been a home with "reasonable" front yard and backyard with a small, detached single car garage on the alley (or, initially, no garage at all) over time gave way to people building larger garages for multiple cars, boats, hobbies, etc. I have been in yards where the size of the garage matches the house, leaving little for yard. Many that I see have the side of the garage parallel with the alley, so the entry for cars into the garage does not face the alley. Often, two neighbors' garages face each other with a "driveway" (more of a pad) between the two with basically enough room to enter the garage if you use all of the "driveway."

When we were looking at homes in St. Paul - wonderful old craftsman homes in tree-lined neighborhoods - this was always a consideration. Living in parts of Minneapolis and St. Paul means dealing with alleys and all that entails (read https://streets.mn/2015/12/01/tales-...t-paul-alleys/).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul