U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 10,870 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I’m a 26 year old public accountant currently living in Appleton, WI. After much thought I decided I want to move to the twin cities. The firm I work for has a location in Edina, so I’m hoping to move somewhere close to there such as St. Louis Park.

Now my two concerns are the price of rent over there and the fact that I need secure parking for my vehicle. I’m guessing I should be making about $60k over there and it seems like rent is $1,100+ per month for a studio. There are endless options, but I don’t really even know where to look or what would be good. A lot of places have pools, bars, etc and I really don’t need any of that. I mostly value something that’s modern, has air conditioning, a dishwasher and underground parking or a garage. Any recommendations? I’m really open to anything, just need to get some direction on if this is even a good plan to move over there. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 AM

413 posts, read 212,403 times
As a long time homeowner, I'll leave it to others to comment on rent and neighborhood situations. If I'm going to pick on your words however, I would nail down just how much you'll be making here, rather than "guessing" on what that amount will be. I know you know that, but have a more concrete salary estimate, plus any bonus you might be subject to, will help others give you better, more precise information.

Only you can then decide if a move "over here" is a good idea.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:40 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,891,123 times
It's not cheap but when I was in your shoes I planted myself in the West Calhoun area, which straddles St. Louis Park and is also close to Edina. I stayed at the Calhoun Greenway and Calhoun Towers, personally. They're both built in the 1960's and because of the location and popularity, they're very modernized. The rents could easily be $2.00/SF now (was about $1.00/SF back in the mid-2000's), so you'll have to look into that. But these apartments and this area in general is a good place to start if you're new to the area, I think. Plus, you're walking distance to the Lake (Bde Maka Ska....formerly Calhoun), and about a mile from Uptown. There are numerous other rental options in the vicinity as well, some in Mpls and others in St. Louis Park. Also, I believe the #6 bus route runs through here that connects you to Edina via France Ave., but you may want to check into the routes yourself to verify if you can take transit to work as an option.

Also, PLEASE REMEMBER: in Minnesota if you make under a certain $$ threshold per year you can get a return on the taxes you pay in your annual rent, so the EFFECTIVE rent may be less than what your lease shows if you qualify. According to the MN Dept. of Revenue:

"Your household income for 2017 must be less than $59,960 (for 2016, less than $58,880). The maximum refund is $2,100."

So this may be peanuts for you based on your projected income, but it's worth noting.

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 03-12-2018 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 2,365 times
Im 28 and have a lot of friends that live in St. Louis Park. It's a good medium between having options to be close to the bars and other forms of entertainment like uptown and also being able to chill and relax. In addition I tend to think you will get more for your money in STLP than areas such as Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul