U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 PM

12 posts, read 9,182 times

Advertisements

Had no idea Otsego even existed until this week as my husband found a home there we like. Anyone know of the area and can share any pearls of wisdom. This home I beleive it falls under Rogers HS part of Elk River. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 10:00 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,805,136 times
I can't say I know a ton about Otsego, only to say that it's very distant suburb that grew quickly leading up to the great recession, and became a poster city for abandoned housing developments that came to a halt. Without knowing for sure, I'd assume it's recovered from that. I know there is a super target there.

I don't personally love the distant NW suburbs as they are a little townie for me, but some prefer that. I also would want to take into consideration the MN "up north" cabin traffic along 94 and 10 that you may have to fight with on summer weekends. I do know that it's not as developed as some of the more connected suburbs. Would you be commuting to Minneapolis? The answer to that question alone might determine a lot for you

Old 03-16-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I can't say I know a ton about Otsego, only to say that it's very distant suburb that grew quickly leading up to the great recession, and became a poster city for abandoned housing developments that came to a halt. Without knowing for sure, I'd assume it's recovered from that. I know there is a super target there.

I don't personally love the distant NW suburbs as they are a little townie for me, but some prefer that. I also would want to take into consideration the MN "up north" cabin traffic along 94 and 10 that you may have to fight with on summer weekends. I do know that it's not as developed as some of the more connected suburbs. Would you be commuting to Minneapolis? The answer to that question alone might determine a lot for you
My husband will need access to the airport occasionally for business trips, but otherwise he works from home. I imagine the traffic would be similar to the Jersey Shore or Pocono Mountain traffic in the summer. Thanks for the items to think about.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:47 AM

2,493 posts, read 1,805,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFix5 View Post
My husband will need access to the airport occasionally for business trips, but otherwise he works from home. I imagine the traffic would be similar to the Jersey Shore or Pocono Mountain traffic in the summer. Thanks for the items to think about.
You are correct. I grew up in NW New Jersey along route 80, and my family had a cabin in the Poconos! My dad was also a lifeguard at Point Pleasant while he was in college (Rutgers).

How familiar with the Twin Cities area are you? I ask because unless you enjoy being on the outskirts, in my opinion there are much better suburban options in the Twin Cities. I would imagine the appeal to Otsego is that one can get a lot of bang for their buck in terms of housing.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:47 AM

8,627 posts, read 13,911,219 times
Here is my tagline for Otsego - a budget friendly Twin Cities exurb with newer housing stock, far enough out to make for a miserable commute into the city, nestled right next to the Albertville Outlet Mall providing convenience for shopping.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:31 AM

878 posts, read 976,826 times
If your current location (Hatboro, PA) is correct and you enjoy where you currently live, then I think Otsego will likely be not quite cosmopolitan enough, but can understand the allure of the lower housing prices. I've spent a decent amount of time in the Philadelphia suburbs and have friends that live in Abington, Doylestown, and Newtown. I really LOVE that area of PA-- great old houses, cute downtowns and an educated populace.

I have a few friends in Rogers-- it has some nice housing stock, but it wouldn't be my first choice, partially due to the more remote location but mainly because it feels, to borrow a word from another poster, too "townie" (for me). You will likely find fewer transplants, meaning that most of the inhabitants are born and bred in or around Rogers/Elk River which often leads to being insular which can feel unwelcoming to newcomers. I think that you'll also find that the people are, on average, a good bit different than where you currently live (which you might think is a good thing!) Lots of hunting/fishing enthusiasts, typically more conservative (politically), and more blue collar than closer in suburbs-- none of these are bad things, just likely different than what you're used to-- also, that area (like many MSP suburbs) is not all that diverse, if that's something that's important to you.

Best of luck!

Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 AM

3,652 posts, read 5,224,149 times
You will see attractive housing prices in places like Otsego, Elk River, Big Lake, Albertville, etc. because they are all right next door to and downriver from the Monticello Nuclear Power Plant.

Maybe that bothers you and maybe it doesn't, but I personally wouldn't want to live that close (within 10 miles, which is the established plume hazard zone in case of accident) to that kind of potential threat. We're currently home shopping and couldn't help but notice the much better deals that just happen to be in that area.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
If your current location (Hatboro, PA) is correct and you enjoy where you currently live, then I think Otsego will likely be not quite cosmopolitan enough, but can understand the allure of the lower housing prices. I've spent a decent amount of time in the Philadelphia suburbs and have friends that live in Abington, Doylestown, and Newtown. I really LOVE that area of PA-- great old houses, cute downtowns and an educated populace.

I have a few friends in Rogers-- it has some nice housing stock, but it wouldn't be my first choice, partially due to the more remote location but mainly because it feels, to borrow a word from another poster, too "townie" (for me). You will likely find fewer transplants, meaning that most of the inhabitants are born and bred in or around Rogers/Elk River which often leads to being insular which can feel unwelcoming to newcomers. I think that you'll also find that the people are, on average, a good bit different than where you currently live (which you might think is a good thing!) Lots of hunting/fishing enthusiasts, typically more conservative (politically), and more blue collar than closer in suburbs-- none of these are bad things, just likely different than what you're used to-- also, that area (like many MSP suburbs) is not all that diverse, if that's something that's important to you.

Best of luck!
Hatboro is my current residency for 1 more week, neat that you of the area. We are looking for something a but more out there. I love the Lancaster area (Amish) so this will probably be more up my alley, and yet not that far of a drive to see family in St.Paul and do things more in the city - similar to me here in Hatboro and going into center city Philly. Thanks for replying.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
You are correct. I grew up in NW New Jersey along route 80, and my family had a cabin in the Poconos! My dad was also a lifeguard at Point Pleasant while he was in college (Rutgers).

How familiar with the Twin Cities area are you? I ask because unless you enjoy being on the outskirts, in my opinion there are much better suburban options in the Twin Cities. I would imagine the appeal to Otsego is that one can get a lot of bang for their buck in terms of housing.
I’m familiar in the sense I’ve been out there multiple times over the past 19 years visiting my in-laws and spending time in many areas around there, granted not as far North as this.

Aren’t the Poconos the best? I would take the mountains over the beach any day!

Thanks for responding.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:17 PM

5,808 posts, read 6,418,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
You will see attractive housing prices in places like Otsego, Elk River, Big Lake, Albertville, etc. because they are all right next door to and downriver from the Monticello Nuclear Power Plant.

Maybe that bothers you and maybe it doesn't, but I personally wouldn't want to live that close (within 10 miles, which is the established plume hazard zone in case of accident) to that kind of potential threat. We're currently home shopping and couldn't help but notice the much better deals that just happen to be in that area.
Prices are lower there because these are still considered a fair distance from the city and in more of a rural or perhaps exurban area so for most people there is a commuting inconvenience discount. I’ve lived here for almost 40 years and this is the first I have heard of a nuclear power plant there, though admittedly they don’t frighten me so I was not looking for information on the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul