Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 04:48 AM

11 posts, read 7,082 times

Advertisements

Come back in winter.

Seriously -- we moved from Los Angeles and we LOVE it, couldn't be happier.

However, we were seriously sick of LA.

Season tickets to the Wild are awesome. I don't even know/follow or like hockey and it was super fun.

US Bank Stadium is AMAZING.

Well and there's the Vikings. I mean -- the Vikings alone would be worth it!

When we first visited, after 15 years in LA, we kept saying it felt like Mayberry! (Term that means like perfect quaint place with "small town" vibe but the great thing is Twin Cities are a city.)

The nice thing about going out in the TC is that people are super nice, friendly and you don't have the insane crush of crowds you do in LA.

There is a bit of traffic *during rush hour* but it's not bad -- not like LA.

Just like San Francisco has "microclimates for the weather," the Twin Cities "vibe" changes, depending on where you live, which area.

Being from LA and having family in St. Paul (and I love St. Paul) I'm really, really glad I chose the Minneapolis area. I felt coming from a gigantic metropolitan area like LA,, I had more in common in Minneapolis. In general, St. Paul is more died-in-the-wool Minnesotans and in Minneapolis you have lots of executive types, corporate types, families, artistic and well-traveled people -- at least in the people I've met and conversations I've heard/had. Right away going out and about in Minneapolis you hear people talking about all the places they've traveled.

In St. Paul and suburbs you don't hear it as much (except maybe Woodbury). But that being said, even in a tiny town in St. Paul I met a woman whose daughter was attending UC Irvine and had an internship at Disney! LOL.

I just love Minneapolis but I just *like* St. Paul.

If you are super into outdoor stuff -- great place. You have to take up a winter sport. The summers are gorgeous here. Fall is amazing. And just so you know -- the past few winters have been mild but this year was AWFUL. Snowed in April. But I still didn't mind. It's a must to get away during the winter if you can.

I was nervous to make the jump. I'm a native Minnesotan but lived in LA for 15 years but we love it here. In the Twin Cities, the restaurants are great, it has a total foodie scene which is awesome. I'm very glad to get here and get out of LA.

I'm not Asian so I can't speak to that but the Twin Cities are really diverse. Not as much as LA but growing up my best-friend was a Japanese exchange student and there are communities here if that's what you want. We love Dim Sum! There are some great Dim Sum places here, great Vietnamese too!

Other plusses -- healthcare and education are outstanding.

If you're young, it doesn't have the excitement of bigger cities. But if you travel, there is no issue. Are you a bit of a homebody? Twin Cities is great for that. Whenever I come home. I am suddenly really into cooking and hanging out at home, gardening etc. It's a fun place to live but a different kind of fun. (I personally love a lot about LA but got sick of the grime and the grind).

Also -- Mpls is not really "midwest" midwest. There was a whole Super Bowl ad campaign called the bold North. We are the "upper Midwest." and have some Canadian vibes (ha!) Just in the sense that there is a LOT of cool 'cultural' things to do -- great museums, plays, music -- if that's what you like.

The lakes and rivers and parks are second to none.

If I were 26, I would buy a house or a townhouse quickly after you get here for a good price and let it appreciate. Have fun, take in the life here, travel. If after a few years you can always move again and either sell or rent out your townhome/home. It's easier to get ahead here if you have a good job than in LA. Housing isn't "cheap" per se but cheaper than LA.

Also, the lakes are awesome. Awesome!

Did I say the lakes and parks are awesome?

Hope this helps, good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kln18 View Post
Quick intro: I'm 26,M, Asian, and have been living in Los Angeles my entire life.

I visited MN in the summer and caught MSP fever. I was hopping around hotels from close to Mall of America, to downtown MPLS, to right in St. Paul. I just loved the area, the vibe, the people. It just seemed like a great place to move to.

My main reasons considering MPLS as a potential spot is:
1. State of hockey (huge hockey fan and player)
2. Better quality of life than in LA
3. Loved the feel of downtown, yet suburbs are just right out.
4. Avid sports watcher and you have all 4 major sports represented!!
5. I can travel to the east coast for less and faster...(all my family is there)
6. You actually have seasons.

NOW, I know I can never complain about bad weather here in LA, but there are just way too many cons to living here. I'd explain them all, but just put it this way..it sucks and I don't think it'll get any better anytime soon.

Concerns/needs:
1. A job (how are prospects there, growth, etc.) I work for a software company, doing some fairly entry level/mid-management stuff.
2. Traveling. Like I said, most of my family is on the east coast so visiting them would be more frequent. But how is pricing, availability for going anywhere else in the world?
3. Is it pretty easy to make friends?

Would love to hear about life in Minnesota, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Just tell it all.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 03:34 PM

53 posts, read 33,314 times
I was born and raised in suburban Minneapolis, and still have quite a few relatives living in MN. Even though it's been a very long time now (my family and I moved away during the "Mary Tyler Moore" era), I can say without a doubt that just about every place else I've been has seemed like someplace "less" (less quality of life, cleanliness, schools, etc.). So many of the other positives noted by other posters ring true to me.

That the Twin Cities are much more affordable than the coastal metros of CA is nothing new. That has been the case for generations and for many decades.

I still follow the weather there. The climate is most definitely a factor for any newcomer to consider. Having four seasons is great, and I remember a lot of nice summers and spectacular autumns, and the snow when it was early in season. However, what I didn't like even as a native, is the length of winter in the form of the persistence of snow cover. Even in a normal year (which this year pretty much was up until April), it can take weeks and weeks for the "spring thaw" to get rid of even a few inches of snow. I saw that year after year. The newcomer will be wondering why the heck it's taking so long when other northern locales are enjoying much warmer weather and rapid snow melt. Just be ready for that. For comparison, it hit 60 degrees in January and 68 in February in Burlington VT (Vermont!) this year, temperatures that MSP has never recorded in its history in those respective months. Last year, MSP did reach an amazing 63 degrees in February, but that's rare in the extreme. Kind of like getting snow here in San Diego, which has happened, but almost never.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:37 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
The record high for January was 59F and for February it was 64F. Of course, the low for August was 39F! Naturally, those are all rare and extreme. Yes, what falls in December is often still here in March but it can melt quickly. We had a record snowfall in early April— about a foot of snow fell— but it was gone a week later. The sun is pretty high in April and its rays are pretty strong.

Intellicast - Minneapolis Historic Weather Averages in Minnesota (55401)

Old 05-05-2018, 09:05 PM

53 posts, read 33,314 times
Exactly right. The difference is that many other northern locales are closer to warm air sources that can melt snow quickly with 60s and even 70s, even in mid-winter. MN is too far east of the Rockies to benefit from the warm Chinook winds that places like Rapid City experience, and too far west to benefit from air advecting from the relatively mild Atlantic that can reach PA and MA and even VT and ME and lower MI. Most years, Minnesotans must therefore wait until late March or April and its strong sun angle and general warming of the whole atmosphere to bring those kinds of temps.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:52 PM

31 posts, read 36,585 times
MN is very nice, you'll love it there, summer, fall and spring are awesome, you need to embrace the winter, here are some MN winter fun.

Photos Extreme Cold Weather Sports in Minnesota

Last edited by Zer0Zer0; 05-07-2018 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-08-2018, 08:35 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Zer0 View Post
MN is very nice, you'll love it there, summer, fall and spring are awesome, you need to embrace the winter, here are some MN winter fun.

Photos Extreme Cold Weather Sports in Minnesota
That 4 year old learning to skate was hilarious!

Old 05-10-2018, 04:59 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
I met two middle-aged women from Puerto Rico while driving Uber this week in Boston. One said she really liked Minneapolis during her visit there...even better than Boston which shocked me!

Almost everyone I've met over the years visiting here in Boston is impressed with Boston, especially the locals themselves! "Greatest City in the World!," blah blah blah.

Just thought you'd all be happy to hear her feedback!

(I was born in St. Paul but left at age 6, lived many states growing up but settled in Boston for college years ago.)

Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,453 times
Quick intro: I'm 26,M, Asian, and have been living in Los Angeles my entire life.

I visited MN in the summer and caught MSP fever. I was hopping around hotels from close to Mall of America, to downtown MPLS, to right in St. Paul. I just loved the area, the vibe, the people. It just seemed like a great place to move to...

Concerns/needs:
1. A job (how are prospects there, growth, etc.) I work for a software company, doing some fairly entry level/mid-management stuff.
I think you are extraordinarily well situated to take advantage of the shortage of workers that is only growing more severe here in the Twin Cities. The local economy is "Fortune 500 heavy" in that we have one of the highest concentrations per capita of Fortune 500 companies. That being the case, middle management is a great place to be. Frankly, with your IT skills and middle management level positioning, a strong case could be made for the Twin Cities being the best labor market in the country for you.
2. Traveling. Like I said, most of my family is on the east coast so visiting them would be more frequent. But how is pricing, availability for going anywhere else in the world?
Delta has a near monopoly at our airport and competition does not keep prices down like it would in other markets. That being said, our airport is one of the better/best ones in the country, and it is a Delta hub so that has its advantages. Availability for going anywhere else in the world is good for a metro area of our size
No.
I am a native Minnesotan and other than here I have only lived in Europe. However, I hear time and again from transplants that it is hard to make friends and connect with people here. People are not mean- in fact, Minnesotans tend to be quite polite- it's just that we're not particularly good at letting people in beyond our pleasant foyers. Many people have been here most or all of their lives and I think the culture lends itself to smaller social circles of friends, leaving little room for welcoming outsiders in.

That being said: there are other transplants here, and your interest in hockey will make you an excellent fit in many social circles. I certainly do not want to dissuade you from coming here, but I do want you to prepare your expectations. It may be difficult to find a crew to hang with, and an invite to someone's home...may be just a little more common than unicorns. Everyone's luck varies. You may find the right people for you and click right away. It's just that the most common experience I have heard from transplants is difficulty connecting. The worst thing you can do is take it personally or as a sign of rudeness or rejection.

A few more points to add: median income in Minnesota bounces around in the range of the 10th-12th highest in the country. It is the only non-coastal state to crack the top 10. We do not have the cost of living of coastal states. Therefore your high income goes further here.

The Twin Cities are regularly ranked at or near the top of proportion of white collar jobs, and at or near the top in literacy - both language and tech literacy. The share of people with college degrees is around the 10th highest of metro areas https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...s.html?mcubz=3

In short, the population here is well educated and culturally active. The job growth rate here is stifled by a labor shortage. There are many ways in which I believe you could thrive here.

Good luck regardless of what you choose!

Old 05-10-2018, 09:57 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kln18 View Post

I visited MN in the summer and caught MSP fever. I was hopping around hotels from close to Mall of America, to downtown MPLS, to right in St. Paul. I just loved the area, the vibe, the people. It just seemed like a great place to move to.

My main reasons considering MPLS as a potential spot is:
1. State of hockey (huge hockey fan and player)
2. Better quality of life than in LA
3. Loved the feel of downtown, yet suburbs are just right out.
4. Avid sports watcher and you have all 4 major sports represented!!
5. I can travel to the east coast for less and faster...(all my family is there)
6. You actually have seasons.

NOW, I know I can never complain about bad weather here in LA, but there are just way too many cons to living here. I'd explain them all, but just put it this way..it sucks and I don't think it'll get any better anytime soon.

Concerns/needs:

Would love to hear about life in Minnesota, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Just tell it all.

Thanks!!
If you do end up coming to Minnesota, make sure to visit the "Air-Conditioned City" (Duluth) in Summer during the heat of summer or Winter for some snow sports. Lake Superior is gorgeous and Duluth has a pretty nice downtown with cool little shops. Northern Minnesota overall is a nice get-away from the hustle-and-bustle of the Cities.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:55 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
I have to disagree with you on 3, 5, an 6.

3. Our downtown SUCKS. Now Friday and Saturday night, our downtown is amazing. Cars all over the place, so many activities. people going to plays, restaurants, bars, etc. but remember, that's only the weekend. Visit downtown on a monday evening or weekday. TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY. Besides people going to work, it's a ghost town. If you visit new york, la, chicago and go downtown on a whim, you can find something to get into.

5. not sure how fast is it to go from LA to the east coast. But I'm from Philly. Driving its about 20 hours. Flying is about 3. Not cheap either unless you book in advance.

6. In my opinon, there's 2 sesaons here. Winter and Summer. Ok i'm probably exaggerating. but winters here are LONNGGGG. iT'S APRIL and we still have snow on the ground.
Daboywonder, I'm also originally from Philly, so, a shout-out to you.

I know you guys had a longer than normal winter this year but I would still trade winters with you in a heartbeat.

We always have snow on the ground in April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul