U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city seems best for me?
Madison, WI 6 24.00%
Minneapolis, MN 19 76.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 AM

38 posts, read 25,854 times

Advertisements

It really depends on what you're looking for. I've lived in both places for 20+ years each. Madison's the quintessential college town. There's nothing better than Camp Randall and the Union Terrace on a Saturday in fall. If you want to go to a big city. Chicago's two hours away. That said, good paying, private sector jobs are few and far between. Generally speaking, unless you're a professor, government worker or attorney, the pickings can get pretty slim. If you're single and over 30, it starts to feel like a small town pretty fast.

As people have pointed out, the Twin Cities are large and continue to expand. Tons of jobs and opportunities. Much more to do here. Professional sports in town. The U of M spots get little play unless they're doing well. 10x the events and cool neighborhoods. Very liberal like Madison. Weather is similar, maybe a bit more cold and dry.

If all things were equal, I'd live in Madison. But my job requires me to live in the Twin Cities and I'm OK with that.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-18-2018, 10:38 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,734,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skibumm View Post
Are any of you not from Minneapolis originally? I was talking to a buddy of mine from college and he said he didn’t like it in Minneapolis because people either 1.) grew up in the area and have a tightly knit friend group or 2.) went to college there and again have a close friend group. He’s now in LA and said it’s the best decision of his life....I don’t want to move to LA though.
I did not grow up here nor did I go to college here (my wife did grad school here, FWIW, between college in a neighboring state and our move to Los Angeles).

IMO - and IMO only - there is some truth to what you write. A lot of people don't leave the Twin Cities. Because they don't have to leave the Twin Cities ... for college, for career, for quality of life.

I will admit that that is a foreign concept to me because where I grew up (a university city in a neighboring state with a solid manufacturing base in the '40s-70s) did not offer that when I was in my 20s. We had to leave, either for college or after college if we attended there, because the manufacturing base and all of the other businesses it supported went south (in some cases, literally) starting in the mid-70s and stayed that way for another 20-25 years). So, there were few jobs that paid well.

By the same argument for natives staying here, the Twin Cities attracts people. Not just from the Dakotas, Iowa, Wisconsin and Chicago (I know a lot of transplants from Chicago) but from all over the country, Canada and the world. The Twin Cities is not made up of a bunch of Scandinavians who have never ventured outside the area unless heading up to the cabin. And the TC natives typically are well-educated, well-read and fairly well-travelled (at least within the U.S.).

And many people go to Los Angeles for the same reasons - careers, college, quality of life (though quality of life - including decent schools for your children - will cost much more in the SoCal area). Or Denver. Or Seattle. Or Chicago.

Just my opinions, FWIW.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:04 AM

5,991 posts, read 9,664,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skibumm View Post
Are any of you not from Minneapolis originally? I was talking to a buddy of mine from college and he said he didn’t like it in Minneapolis because people either 1.) grew up in the area and have a tightly knit friend group or 2.) went to college there and again have a close friend group. He’s now in LA and said it’s the best decision of his life....I don’t want to move to LA though.
I grew up here but have lived in 4 other cities in 3 other states for about 12 of my 36 years. I can't speak for all cities/states but I do like it here and we moved back for a reason. Also, if the city is nearly 10 times larger than Madison, statistically you may find that there will be about 10 MSP perspectives for every 1 Madison perspective.

I'm sure LA is also great.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:30 AM

513 posts, read 417,137 times
I personally enjoy both cities in terms of quality of life. Both cities have strong economies and are extremely left-wing, but Minneapolis is more racially and ethnically diverse.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:33 AM

513 posts, read 417,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Flash View Post
It really depends on what you're looking for. I've lived in both places for 20+ years each. Madison's the quintessential college town. There's nothing better than Camp Randall and the Union Terrace on a Saturday in fall. If you want to go to a big city. Chicago's two hours away. That said, good paying, private sector jobs are few and far between. Generally speaking, unless you're a professor, government worker or attorney, the pickings can get pretty slim. If you're single and over 30, it starts to feel like a small town pretty fast.

As people have pointed out, the Twin Cities are large and continue to expand. Tons of jobs and opportunities. Much more to do here. Professional sports in town. The U of M spots get little play unless they're doing well. 10x the events and cool neighborhoods. Very liberal like Madison. Weather is similar, maybe a bit more cold and dry.

If all things were equal, I'd live in Madison. But my job requires me to live in the Twin Cities and I'm OK with that.
Sorry, but you defintiely don't know what you're talking about. Madison is hardly a "quintessential college town", and I live here. UW-Madison's enrolllment is 43k, whereas the city's population is 255k. Subtract that enrollment figure from the city's population and you still get over 200k of the population that isn't affiliated with the university.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:26 PM

369 posts, read 599,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Sorry, but you defintiely don't know what you're talking about. Madison is hardly a "quintessential college town", and I live here. UW-Madison's enrolllment is 43k, whereas the city's population is 255k. Subtract that enrollment figure from the city's population and you still get over 200k of the population that isn't affiliated with the university.
The enrollment isn't the only factor when it comes to affiliation to a university... You're leaving out all the faculty, researchers, and administration. It's definitely going to be higher than just the 43K enrollment.

But I agree that Madison isn't a college town in the same way that Minneapolis isn't a college town. A college town is a town that exists almost entirely for the purpose of sustaining the college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul