Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:00 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
^yes, this-- even if you decide against painting, updating hardware and your faucet(s) can make a big difference.
I'm having a hard time finding hardware to fit - the holes are spaced differently than today's hardware. This would be no problem if I paint since I could fill in the existng holes and drill new ones easily. All faucets have been replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 09:14 PM

332 posts, read 822,171 times
I like white kitchen cabinets!

Old 08-09-2018, 04:52 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My rear neighbor has a house very similar to mine so I listen to what her realtors have told her. It most definitely is an age thing. When I moved to Denver one of the first things I did was paint the cabinets but they were dark walnut - in those days that spelled cheap cabinets. Walnut, mahogany and other soft woods were fair game for painting because they were considered lesser quality. You paid extra for oak because it's a hardwood that lasts forever. No dings or scratches. These new cabinets are throw away cabinets that will look bad in 10 years. Many are soft woods that do ding and scratch.

Looking online at sold and not sold homes, the ones selling for more $$ are those with painted woodwork - many times the house itself is smaller and not as nice as ones without the painted woodwork (I considered location - near the lakes, etc...).

I guess I need you all to confirm my findings before I commit this deed, which I feel is so wrong. Like I said, if I don't do it and reap the rewards, the next owner(s) will.
Walnut and mahogany are not soft woods, they are hardwoods, and walnut will cost more than oak dollar wise. I personally cannot stand most of the newer style of oak cabinets that I l see in the stores that sell cabinets.

That more modern look, just simply looks too bulky and thick. Most factory made cabinets are possibly not even real wood, maybe the face frame is and the wood made for the frames around the raised panel door, which should be 5 pieces.

The best kitchen oak peices would be 3/4 oak veneered plywood, with well made 5 piece raised panel doors, of oak. I like the darker oak inside of houses, it gives it a more warm and inviting inside feel. The way of older mansions and such.

I do not really like white painted trim, think it is rather bland, dull, and well, ugly.
If oak was meant to be painted, then it should have been built with popular or some wood like that, just my opinion. If the next home owner decides to paint them, then that would be past you.

Would leaving them oak really make all that much difference in the selling price? Maybe a few hundred dollars more? If they are in good condition, I would leave them as is. Including the hardware.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:13 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Go with what the current fashion is. Buyers want homes that are “updated and move-in ready.” Unless you are an exceptionally good painter, hire a pro to apply several coats of a good oil based paint. Astute buyers will notice the difference. You don’t need the most expensive hardware as you don’t need to pay up for the durability.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
My opinion as a recent buyer, and I saw dozens of homes.

If you aren't willing to do it right (or have it professionally done), clean the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap and then leave it be. I'd rather stain than paint wood any day, and I saw tons of crappy paint jobs. They weren't deal-breakers if I liked the rest of the house, but one house had a black and gold "man cave" (Iowa colors) in addition to very bad painting throughout the house, as well as loud primary colors (Think neon orange with green stripes, with bleed through).

I offered 8K lower and made it clear that was why. They ended up not selling because they couldn't get as much as they wanted for it. Going through and spraying the entire interior beige in that case would've made a huge difference.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:07 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
I'm putting this in the Mpls section because different areas of the state and country will probably have different opinions on this.

I grew up when anyone that said they were going to paint oak cabinets would probably get life in prison.

I'm getting my house ready to put on the market (Edina) and when I look at houses for sale and those sold the houses that have the wood painted are going for so much more, - no joke. Other things add to this like drapes are down and just shades are used but I'm having a hard time thinking about painting these cabinets. If I don't the next person that owns this house probably will.

I need to hear from you~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

What to do what to do?

I would not take a chance by painting them and thinking that is what buyers want. Let the buyers do what they want after they own it. If they want white they can paint it themselves. I've seen some bungled kitchen cabinet paint jobs that stick out like a sore thumb.

Use Cabinet Magic or Murphy's Oil Soap and they will shine nicely. (You will expect too much from the buyers and they may just want to rip out the whole kitchen anyway.)

Old 08-10-2018, 09:55 AM

Thanks to all for your advice.

I am a good painter BUT I don't think I'm going to have the time to do it. I am doing 2 of the 3 BTHs and I have to say I like the look so I may have to think this out. The wood in these 2 baths isn't in as good a shape as the K - not bad, but some imperfections. That means I'll have to hire it done if I decide to do it. My confusion is that I like the warmth of wood and this wood is in excellent shape, but, I'm an old fogey (according to the new buyers) so what do I know.

I hear repeatedly that what Glenfield says is true - buyers want the house move in ready.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 AM

701 posts, read 1,709,199 times
Can you post pictures? There are nice oak cabinets and awful oak cabinets--that makes a huge difference in if you should paint or not. If someone had painted the oak in our house I wouldn't have bought the house. But, there are lots of houses where paint makes it look much better.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Thanks to all for your advice.

I am a good painter BUT I don't think I'm going to have the time to do it. I am doing 2 of the 3 BTHs and I have to say I like the look so I may have to think this out. The wood in these 2 baths isn't in as good a shape as the K - not bad, but some imperfections. That means I'll have to hire it done if I decide to do it. My confusion is that I like the warmth of wood and this wood is in excellent shape, but, I'm an old fogey (according to the new buyers) so what do I know.

I hear repeatedly that what Glenfield says is true - buyers want the house move in ready.

For all the time and effort you would spend doing the cabinets, you could also get a buyer who loves the kitchen cabs the way they are. It is good to have a house move in ready, that is fairly true. However, there are many buyers who like to 'make it their own', and will change things anyways. The color of cabinets are not on the list of 'move in ready'. Condition is.

A buyer will have a home inspection; concentrate on all the plumbing, heating, electrical that should be up to snuff. Those are the big ticket items. Decorating is personal. Best wishes.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I would not take a chance by painting them and thinking that is what buyers want. Let the buyers do what they want after they own it. If they want white they can paint it themselves. I've seen some bungled kitchen cabinet paint jobs that stick out like a sore thumb.

Use Cabinet Magic or Murphy's Oil Soap and they will shine nicely. (You will expect too much from the buyers and they may just want to rip out the whole kitchen anyway.)

This is sad but true. They don't understand the value of well made cabinets nor do they care - it's what "in"
that counts. When these fads go out and good wood comes back in style they will be shocked at what these cabinets will cost - most will not be able to afford them. Stripping paint from all these cabinets - O~~M~G!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul