Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:56 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times

Advertisements

Yes, it’s a thing, but as long as you take precautions you’ll be fine. I recommend DEET when outdoors even in early spring, the ticks often come out before the trees start budding. Buy some gaiters if you plan to hike and always wear long pants. The ankle area is one of the most vulnerable places to ticks, and gaiters provide a valuable barrier. I have a pair of black diamond gaiters and love them. They’re also great protection against snow, mud, poison ivy, etc.

I would also recommend treating your outdoor/hiking clothes and shoes with permethrin. If a tick lands on permethrin treated clothing, it will be dead as a doornail. HOWEVER, be extremely careful with permethrin as it is also highly toxic, and often fatal, to cats that come into contact with it. So if you have cats keep permethrin and treated clothing away from them at all times and change out of them as soon as you get home.

Always do body checks after an outdoor activity, including the scalp. If you do find a tick that is latched on, remove it as soon as possible by completely covering it with petrol jelly/aquafor to suffocate it so that it releases itself, and go to the doctor to get tested along with the tick in a plastic bag. Your chances of contracting Lyme are much lower if the tick is removed within 24 hours.

Last edited by Bluefox; 09-22-2018 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 07:36 PM

258 posts, read 647,883 times
I know several people who’ve had it and I’ve been treated more than once after finding a deer tick attached. That said I think it’s unlikely you’d have much risk unless you’re in the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: