Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 09:23 PM

401 posts, read 319,408 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a condo because I HATE mowing, shoveling, major home repairs, etc. I also want the use of a pool and gym, and the ability to meet my neighbors in shared areas.

My biggest questions are, since you are paying an association fee, does that cover all your utilities as well? If not, what utilities are your responsibility? I have enough money to put down on most of the cost of an average condo, so my payments would be lower. So I was just wondering what i would have to pay, aside from my mortgage, each month.

Are the walls thin so you can hear your neighbors talking in the next condo? Is it better to live on the top floor or bottom floor? What is your general overall opinion about living in them?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 12:52 PM

369 posts, read 633,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
I am considering buying a condo because I HATE mowing, shoveling, major home repairs, etc. I also want the use of a pool and gym, and the ability to meet my neighbors in shared areas.

My biggest questions are, since you are paying an association fee, does that cover all your utilities as well? If not, what utilities are your responsibility? I have enough money to put down on most of the cost of an average condo, so my payments would be lower. So I was just wondering what i would have to pay, aside from my mortgage, each month.

Are the walls thin so you can hear your neighbors talking in the next condo? Is it better to live on the top floor or bottom floor? What is your general overall opinion about living in them?

Thank you!
No, association fees don't cover your utilities. The fees cover the maintenance of the building, so the gym, the pool, shoveling and plowing, maintenance for the building itself. Water and garbage might be included, but my understanding is utilities for condos are paid for by the owner of the unit.

The walls depend on the quality of the building. And in general, like apartments, it's better to be on top than on the bottom (footsteps).

Old 10-05-2018, 01:07 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,453 times
I've long thought about buying a condo for the exact same reasons you are. One of the main things stopping me from doing so is that literally everyone I know who lives in a condo shares their building with at least one total freak who makes group decisions by condo owners very onerous. A friend of mine recently had to pitch in for 'Parking for residents only' signs in their consistently near-empty lot because ONE obsessive-compulsive person in his building harped on it until everyone else just gave in and acceded to his demands.

That greener grass has some major dog poops on it. Know your fellow condo owners before you buy.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:44 PM

114 posts, read 136,722 times
There are a lot of factors to consider. A concrete/steel building will be quieter (but more expensive) than a wood-frame building. What utility fees you are responsible should be disclosed on the listing info. Once you are ready to buy, get a copy of the HOA's legal documentation and budget. Yes it is boring, but important. There should be reserves in the budget. You don't want to get surprised with a big special assessment later because the HOA had no money saved. Look at the rules. For instance, someone who likes gardening may not be able to plant anything outside. Are rentals allowed? If half the units are rented, it feels like living in an apartment building. Are there rules on Airbnb type rentals? That is a real hot button issue these days.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:51 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Yes, as others have mentioned, below are just some things to consider about condo living:

Financial statement of HOA
Are there any outstanding special assessments?
Stability of HOA fee over time
Parking situation for guests
Is there a calendar of social events
# of comparable units for sale, condition of your unit vs those for when you sell
Do they allow rentals/air bnb

Old 10-08-2018, 07:05 PM

401 posts, read 319,408 times
Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems like a lot to think about and do research on. I am trying to earn more money so I am ok with paying extra for things, right now just fed up with constant repairs and upkeep where I live (in a mobile home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul