Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 PM

71 posts, read 193,139 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a home (less than $275K) near the Eden Prairie area where I currently rent. I know that I won't be able to afford what I really want here but welcome suggestions to neighboring areas that are safe, welcomes diversity, have good schools and is affordable. I'm not familiar with surrounding communities but love the fact that Eden Prairie schools are diverse which is important. Therefore, I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 09:54 AM

542 posts, read 448,202 times
Here are some options from MLS for Eden Prairie. There is not a huge inventory for the area (for starter homes) and some houses in my area went on sale recently and they sold relatively fast.

TheMLSonline.com: Search by Map

MLS# 5013320
MLS# 5007862
MLS# 5027565

There are some interesting perceptions of Eden Prairie on this site so take what people say about the area with a huge bag of salt.

I should mention we are a couple that is mixed racially and have zero problems here (EP) - of course the McDonalds incident was disappointing. We did live in a medium sized city (40k +) in Minnesota and had to endure some nonsense. Threats through mailing and drive by yelling, and a brick through a snowman with a racial slur. I did/do own shotguns and rifles but because of incidents, I decided to get a handgun(s) and had to go through the carry permit process. However, I rarely carry here in EP.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 12-07-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM

225 posts, read 211,501 times
What kind of diversity? It does matter.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
What kind of diversity? It does matter.
Yes, it really does matter as a (black) minority. I want my family and I to live in an area that's safe and welcoming. Unfortunately, I don't always feel that way but want to live in peace as much as possible.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
Here are some options from MLS for Eden Prairie. There is not a huge inventory for the area (for starter homes) and some houses in my area went on sale recently and they sold relatively fast.

TheMLSonline.com: Search by Map

MLS# 5013320
MLS# 5007862
MLS# 5027565

There are some interesting perceptions of Eden Prairie on this site so take what people say about the area with a huge bag of salt.

I should mention we are a couple that is mixed racially and have zero problems here (EP) - of course the McDonalds incident was disappointing. We did live in a medium sized city (40k +) in Minnesota and had to endure some nonsense. Threats through mailing and drive by yelling, and a brick through a snowman with a racial slur. I did/do own shotguns and rifles but because of incidents, I decided to get a handgun(s) and had to go through the carry permit process. However, I rarely carry here in EP.
Thank you and you are right. There isn't a large inventory of available homes but I think that's the case in a lot of places. Then, there are the holidays and the winter season that affects the inventory as well. What about Waconia, Victoria and Young America? These are areas my real estate agent mentioned as well as Chanhassen. I'm familiar with Chanhassen but don't know much about the other three areas for minorities. Any thoughts? Again, thank you.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancelace View Post
Yes, it really does matter as a (black) minority. I want my family and I to live in an area that's safe and welcoming. Unfortunately, I don't always feel that way but want to live in peace as much as possible.
Okay. Are you set on the area around Eden Prairie? Are you set on not living in or bordering the Twin Cities?

Honestly, there are none in that area that stick out as welcoming to me. I'm also black and while house hunting it was clear to me that some in that area (and similar western suburbs) were surprised or concerned about this, or simply did not want it. I could recommend a few areas closer to the Twin Cities.

I assume you're not doing this but just in case, I would not gauge openness on how diverse the area is on paper. I'm pretty sure there are no black people living within a 15 or 20 minute walking distance of me but I've never felt more at home in a new neighborhood than I do here in south Minneapolis. On the other hand there were more diverse areas around here where I got the "freeze out" right away.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
Okay. Are you set on the area around Eden Prairie? Are you set on not living in or bordering the Twin Cities?

Honestly, there are none in that area that stick out as welcoming to me. I'm also black and while house hunting it was clear to me that some in that area (and similar western suburbs) were surprised or concerned about this, or simply did not want it. I could recommend a few areas closer to the Twin Cities.

I assume you're not doing this but just in case, I would not gauge openness on how diverse the area is on paper. I'm pretty sure there are no black people living within a 15 or 20 minute walking distance of me but I've never felt more at home in a new neighborhood than I do here in south Minneapolis. On the other hand there were more diverse areas around here where I got the "freeze out" right away.
Thank you for sharing this. I really do appreciate it. Please let me know what specific areas to consider (or not consider) in south Minneapolis. We're not natives of Minnesota so I'm not familiar with the safe areas with good school districts. Thank you.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:40 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,049 times
We live in EP near Round Lake. We are probably 70% white neighborhood, with a handful of Indian families, a couple Chinese and a couple African American families.

Everyone in our neighborhood is pretty integrated. Wife had a cookie exchange party last night and we had a Chinese and an Indian woman attend. Along with your typical native white Minnesotans.

I don’t think there are a lot of African Americans in EP but there are a ton of Asians. The school my daughters attend (K-5) has diversity and according to my daughter race really isn’t an issue there. Her dance troupe, for example, modified their required uniforms for the Holiday show to accommodate a young girl who wears a hijab. Didn’t hear any complaints from the other dance moms about it.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:53 PM

512 posts, read 474,244 times
You should be fine anywhere in Minneapolis as a minority. The suburbs are where I'd be wary, however.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancelace View Post
Thank you for sharing this. I really do appreciate it. Please let me know what specific areas to consider (or not consider) in south Minneapolis. We're not natives of Minnesota so I'm not familiar with the safe areas with good school districts. Thank you.
In the Twin Cities and first ring suburbs, these could work: SE Minneapolis just east and west of the lakes (Hiawatha and Nokomis), St. Louis Park, Macalester-Groveland, Tangletown, Kingfield. Anywhere else I wouldn't personally vouch for, have limited experience with, or doesn't fit your other criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul