Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 12:10 AM

108 posts, read 401,636 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Richfield and I'd like to find a new home where I could hopefully build a fairly large shop/pole building and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know if any of the suburbs allow for it? I'm sure that it varies city by city, but if anyone happens to know the specifics on any areas I'd appreciate any info. My main areas of interest are; Apple Valley, Eagan, Burnsville, Bloomington and Eden Prairie. Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 04:40 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty8940 View Post
I currently live in Richfield and I'd like to find a new home where I could hopefully build a fairly large shop/pole building and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know if any of the suburbs allow for it? I'm sure that it varies city by city, but if anyone happens to know the specifics on any areas I'd appreciate any info. My main areas of interest are; Apple Valley, Eagan, Burnsville, Bloomington and Eden Prairie. Thanks a lot
Pole Buildings and a Shop. Sounds way cool. Hope you get it done.

What type of shop?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 AM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Seems like you gotta be on the edges of the cities to allow that. Farmington might be to the south. Ham Lake, Bethel area to north have homes with shops on them. I’ve looked into for future, instead of renting a shop, the rent could be paying a mortgage on a place that has a shop to run my business. But I don’t want to live in the outer suburbs, so I’ll still rent place 10 mins from my home.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Pole Buildings and a Shop. Sounds way cool. Hope you get it done.

What type of shop?

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to do about a 40X80' shop for my flooring business.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Seems like you gotta be on the edges of the cities to allow that. Farmington might be to the south. Ham Lake, Bethel area to north have homes with shops on them. I’ve looked into for future, instead of renting a shop, the rent could be paying a mortgage on a place that has a shop to run my business. But I don’t want to live in the outer suburbs, so I’ll still rent place 10 mins from my home.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Ya I had the feeling that you have to be way out there, but I was hoping not. I'm in the same situation with renting a shop for my business, but it would be nice to have it right outside my house..

Old 02-16-2019, 07:25 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty8940 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to do about a 40X80' shop for my flooring business.
The issue is not going to be the structure itself but your intent to use it for commercial purposes. None of the cities you listed will allow a commercial building in a residential area.

Even in rural areas there are zoning restrictions. My suggestion would be to hire a real estate agent to find a piece of property that meets your needs and to check with the local municipality on whether your intended use is permissible.

Here is one county’s zoning ordinance as an example.
https://www.chisagocounty.us/Documen...dinance?bidId=

Old 02-17-2019, 11:27 AM

162 posts, read 155,167 times
I know many of the outlying areas of the Twin Cities allow pole barns. I know specifically that I've seen them in places like Oak Grove, Zimmerman, etc. Similar cities in the south metro would likely have pole barns too. Glenfield is right though, operating a business out of it might be the tricky part. Some cities might let you if you apply for a conditional use permit which potentially could let you operate a business from your pole barn - you'd have to check with specific cities to see if that is permitted. Or maybe you could test your luck and try to be sneaky, and hope that works out.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:03 PM

114 posts, read 136,666 times
I think it really depends on lot size. I visited a house in Apple Valley once with a full-sized basketball court in a detached building. The owner was hosting events - hard to believe.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:16 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,294 times
A lot of suburbs have banned pole building because they've found it's a slippery slope to pole dancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul