Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,870 times

Advertisements

Although Minnesota has many wonderful things about it, the older we get, the harder it is to deal with the winters. We are both in our mid 50's and unfortunately, we aren't able to retire for another 10 years or so.

We are looking for little or no snow. Cost of living is also very important. We are going to visit St. Augustine and Jacksonville, Fl, Brunswick and Savannah, Ga, Charleston, SC and possibly Gulf Shores, Al next month.

If we don't fall in love with one of those places, Franklin, Murfreesboro and Brentwood, Tennessee with be the next cities we check out.

We want affordability, warmer weather, water (lakes, rivers, streams, oceans), we want small town feel, beauty, green grass and trees, job opportunities, things to do.

Would love to hear suggestions from anyone that is familiar with any of the places I named.

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 06:34 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
use to live in Putnam (Palatka) and Volusia (Daytona Beach) Counties in Florida. St Augustine (outside of the Keys) was my favorite place down there. More laid back than than most of the coastal areas, lots of history and cool architecture and pretty nice beaches. Still a bit of a haul to Miami and the Keys but you have a lot of the Mid-Atlantic States and the sights they offer within a days drive.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,474 times
Hello! I moved from Marshall MN almost a year ago to Tennessee. I live 50 north of Nashville, in Clarksville TN. I was stationed here in the Army (Ft. Campbell) in the 80's and loved it. I am regretting my move. So much crime here. Murders every day. You know it's bad when someone gets shot in broad daylight in front of the Country Music Hall of Fame. I am already looking to move elsewhere. Just check out the stats before you move. I didn't. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2019, 12:33 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
I lived in the south for 30 years. The crime is the major drawback. It's bad. Be careful of that whole Nashville area - it was a hot spot to move to for many for years, but has become much more congested and expensive, plus you guessed it - the crime is awful. Nashville is beginning to resemble Atlanta, where I lived for a long time. Everyone is moving there and driving up prices. The winter weather is obviously milder, but the traffic and crime - yikes. Those coastal cities you mentioned are oppressively humid and crime ridden - especially Charleston and Savannah with the crime......but if no snow if your major selling point, those spots on the coast are the place to be.

I just turned 50 myself. We're originally from Michigan, and as such are no strangers to snow and cold, but all my years in the south have made dealing with these winters very hard, so I know where you're coming from, OP. The cold I can deal with, but the freekin snow and the pains that come with it.....holy crap it's awful. I seriously cannot see myself standing in 10 below temps pulling snow off my roof and pushing a snowblower back & forth into my old age. I don't mind it during the holidays, but New Years to May 1st can be SO depressing.

That said, when this nicer weather (like the past couple weeks) begins to roll in I fall in love with Minnesota all over again. One of the most underrated places in the country in many ways, IMO. Probably gonna be enough to keep us here for at least another few years, but our dream has been to eventually move to and spend our final days down in the Ozarks, so we'll see. The economy in those spots is not nearly what it is up here, and we still have kids in school, so probably still 4 to 5 years away at the earliest.

But who knows.....we already love Minnesota (aside from the winters) and another 4 to 5 years here may make it too hard to leave.......we'll see. Just do your diligence before moving.......grass aint always greener.....even without snow on top of it.

Right now it's 50 out and I'm goin' outisde to bask in it!

Old 03-22-2019, 03:34 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
I'm not sure that exchanging cold weather for hot/humid weather is such a bargain. For me personally, a sweltering climate is absolutely not an option. CA might have some appeal, but the South is a no-go ( for other reasons as well).

Minnesota is a pretty good place to be. At least you have some time to mull it over..

Old 03-22-2019, 03:54 PM

83 posts, read 130,637 times
I'm in my 30s have lived in the midwest my whole life and even I'm getting fed up with the winters.

And risk of injury is a serious issue - one of my coworker's mother (in her 70s) wiped out on her driveway this year while getting the newspaper. Really nasty injury that involved substantial hospital time and major surgery and physical therapy.

Another option is a condo, especially if kids are not (or no longer) an issue. One of our friends just moved to a condo in downtown Minneapolis - beautiful building, has an indoor gym, cafe, yoga room, dog park, access to the skyway system that goes several locations including Target, heated underground parking. And most importantly, no shoveling, raking roofs, etc.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:59 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
coconuts falling from tress kill more people every year than slipping on ice, or so I'd like you to believe

Old 03-23-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
coconuts falling from tress kill more people every year than slipping on ice, or so I'd like you to believe
You just might be right...nasty coconuts...

Still reminiscing about the 1970 Vikings....and Gary Cuozzo. They really couda "been somebody" at 12-2, but a Gold Rush got in their playoff way..

Old 03-24-2019, 06:56 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You just might be right...nasty coconuts...

Still reminiscing about the 1970 Vikings....and Gary Cuozzo. They really couda "been somebody" at 12-2, but a Gold Rush got in their playoff way..
Oh jeeze, you would have to bring up the Vikings and their painful playoff history. While I remember the days of Gary Cuozzo, Gene Washington and Bill Brown, I also painfully recall:
1998 Season: Vikes lose to Falcons in Overtime NFC Championship Game with flubbed field goal from hitherto perfect kinder Gary Anderson

2009 Season: the infamous ‘bountygate’ loss to the New Orleans Saints

2015 Season: Vikes lose to Seahawks 10-9 due to a Soul-crushing 27-yard missed field goal at end of the game.

I am a Vikings fan, but thankfully they’re not a big factor in my being a huge fan of my home state of Minnesota!

Old 03-24-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Oh jeeze, you would have to bring up the Vikings and their painful playoff history. While I remember the days of Gary Cuozzo, Gene Washington and Bill Brown, I also painfully recall:
1998 Season: Vikes lose to Falcons in Overtime NFC Championship Game with flubbed field goal from hitherto perfect kinder Gary Anderson

2009 Season: the infamous ‘bountygate’ loss to the New Orleans Saints

2015 Season: Vikes lose to Seahawks 10-9 due to a Soul-crushing 27-yard missed field goal at end of the game.

I am a Vikings fan, but thankfully they’re not a big factor in my being a huge fan of my home state of Minnesota!
Genghis has all kinds of theories, LOL

No longer a Viking fan, and haven't been one for many years. I hardly watch anymore. But they were my team, from the ,late 60s tlo late 70s, when the fun petered out.

Minnesota is a great place to live--I just find it ironic when some want to leave, citing weather issues, when their desired locales have the same problem, on the other side of the temperature spectrum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul