Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 5,962 times

Advertisements

So we moved here a couple years ago from Chicago and have been renting in Eden Prairie after wife got job in Bloomington.We wanted to rent until the housing market came down. Our landlord either wants us to buy our current house or move by the end of this year and all the sudden now I'm a lot more confused about where to go. And the housing market is still stupid. We really want a 3br/2k sq ft for under 400k.

We're city people and at first I didn't like EP we were plotting our move to something like Tangletown or Mac Groveland. That was also when our kids were young and we didn't know anything about the area and the schools. Now that the kids are starting school - I'm wondering if it'd be easier to stay in the suburbs since our lives are about to revolve around extracurricular activities.

I thought for sure there's no way I'd stay in EP when we first moved, but now I've fallen for Hyland and Bush Lake. My fam is way into biking and I love the nearby cul de sacs and empty paths in Hyland. I thought for sure SW Minne/St Paul is where I wanted to be - but we're all tall people and none of the houses in St P or SW Minne that we can afford have any room.

Wondering where to look - where to move - what schools have good ratings now and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 06:31 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Why not stay in Eden Prairie?

Old 06-07-2019, 09:43 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denzlite View Post
So we moved here a couple years ago from Chicago and have been renting in Eden Prairie after wife got job in Bloomington.We wanted to rent until the housing market came down. Our landlord either wants us to buy our current house or move by the end of this year and all the sudden now I'm a lot more confused about where to go. And the housing market is still stupid. We really want a 3br/2k sq ft for under 400k.

We're city people and at first I didn't like EP we were plotting our move to something like Tangletown or Mac Groveland. That was also when our kids were young and we didn't know anything about the area and the schools. Now that the kids are starting school - I'm wondering if it'd be easier to stay in the suburbs since our lives are about to revolve around extracurricular activities.

I thought for sure there's no way I'd stay in EP when we first moved, but now I've fallen for Hyland and Bush Lake. My fam is way into biking and I love the nearby cul de sacs and empty paths in Hyland. I thought for sure SW Minne/St Paul is where I wanted to be - but we're all tall people and none of the houses in St P or SW Minne that we can afford have any room.

Wondering where to look - where to move - what schools have good ratings now and all that.
Some thoughts....

1) I feel your pain. I've got a wife & 3 kids. I'm a city guy, but seriously considered the suburbs just because...it's easier. There's just less to think about & maneuver.

2) West Bloomington may be the best value in the TC. So many transplants & young urban dwellers buying these days & they almost always skip right past West Bloomington, leaving great value for the more tuned in home shopper. It's East Edina. But on a budget.

3) If you really have your heart set on living in the city, you can absolutely make it happen, but it requires a bit more effort. Forget SW Mpls. Houses are small. Demand is ridiculous. No value there, at all.

4) St Paul is where it's at if you want to live in the city & need a good sized house. Don't want to violate any rules, but check out 1794 Dayton, 1929 Grand, 1795 Sargent, 889 Hague & 873 Ashland for starters. Some need a bit of work, but all have elbow room for a good sized family, will be in good schools, will have plenty of extracurricular activities (Sports are big, Como Park, skiing, golfing, trails, etc) & I love that my kids & their friends can safely walk to Grand Ave & hang out now that they're teenagers.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:09 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
You pay more in SW Minneapolis than other parts of the city, but with kids it’s worth the premium in my opinion. I just ran a search and found a bunch of 3 bedroom 2 bath homes there in the 350-450k range, especially south of 54th St/Diamond Lake Rd.

I agree that there is more value in St. Paul. I was surprised to find so many decent 3br, 2 ba homes in the Mac-Groveland and Highland Park areas for sub-400k.

Both of those would be the go-to family-friendly areas in each respective city from my perspective.

However, if you are happy staying in Eden Prairie or Bloomington they are fine choices as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul