Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2019, 04:06 AM

10 posts, read 15,429 times

Advertisements

*To be clear, this isn’t a political post, so please don’t make any comments political.

I’m a single gay minority young professional living in Golden Valley. I love living in GV because it is close to the city and where I work in downtown. It is also a progressive town. There are many gay couples in my neighborhood and no one really cares or judges when they walk around the neighborhood. Many neighbors have the “all are welcome” sign on their yards too. For the last year, I’ve been contemplating moving to the NW suburbs for a new construction home or newer home. You get more for your money out there. My home right now is about $370k for a remodeled 1.5 story 1600 sf home.

I grew up in Rogers. Moved there in 1998 around the housing boom. We were one of the first minority families to move into town. My family still lives there, 21 years now. After 21 years, it’s still not that diverse. Growing up there wasn’t easy. The racist crap we endured then wouldn’t fly today. For years, neighbors would stop what they’re doing and glare as we drove by looking at us like zoo animals. Our next door neighbors have always been amazing though. Today, when I visit my family up there, I get less stares. The neighborhood is still predominantly white and conservative judging by the signs they have up on their front lawns during election season and from chatting with the neighbors.

I’m just wondering for those that live in the area, do you think the area has become more socially accepting? My family recently went to eat out in Rogers, and everyone in the restaurant still stopped and stared like they’ve never seen a group of colored folks sitting down for some pizza. I’m 31 now and I don’t have time to deal with the racist or homophonic crap endured as a child growing up there. As much as I remember the bad crap, I personally know good people who live in the area as well. Just wondering if a single gay minority could mesh in a middle class outer suburban neighborhood. I’m looking in the areas of Maple Grove/Rogers/Otsego/St Michael/Albertville area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 05:37 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Yours is a question for which there really isn't any good, hard data. However, we do have some political realities that you may find serve as useful proxies for roughly measuring the degree of social conservatism of an area.

Part of the area you describe extends into MN-6, the state's most Republican Congressional district. This would generally correlate with that district being the most socially conservative district as well. Of course, that's only a relative metric, and one that doesn't speak to the specificity of each individual city therein, nor to individuals themselves.

In addition, you may find the results of the 2016 and 2018 elections, granular down to the precinct, informative:
https://www.gis.leg.mn/iMaps/elections/2016/all/
https://www.gis.leg.mn/iMaps/elections/2018/all/

Note:
The hyperlinks don't work as such because you're a brand-new poster, but you can cut-and-paste to use them.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2019, 05:39 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Certainly that area is not going to be as liberal as a first ring suburb like Golden Valley. And that's nothing against a Rogers, but probably somewhat typical of the comparison for any outer vs inner suburb in a predominantly liberal city.

Question for you. It wasn't apparent to me why you are dissatisfied in GV and why you think Albertville may be better other than housing value? I think given the current housing market, you may actually find that despite the value difference, the market timing still doesn't work in your favor.

To me, the shorter commute, feeling more accepted, not having to move, etc. would outweigh any potential gain in housing value. I'm assuming you don't have children? If that's the case, I also question why a bigger house is a smart decision? From my own experience, I wouldn't upgrade my house in any way until my family grew and I knew the new house would be an upgrade to all parties.

Maybe you long to be closer to family, want more land, and are looking to transfer jobs to Maple Grove......but none of that came across in your post?

Old 07-24-2019, 08:07 AM

490 posts, read 623,657 times
From an economic standpoint I would stay put and keep building equity. From a social standpoint there might be a small difference doubt a huge one these days. All it takes is one bad neighbor to make life less comfortable than you are now though .You are close enough that you can spend some time in the area. Do some shopping and dining near your target neighborhood. Take some walks. See how it feels. There aren't a lot of gay minority posters here and certainly haven't had anyone mention the NW 'burbs in that context before so you will get a lot of conjecture, like mine

Old 07-24-2019, 12:56 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,071 times
No amount of money in the world would make me do the commute from Albertville to Downtown everyday. But that's just me. Why do that to yourself? I-94 is awful and only going to get worse.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
No amount of money in the world would make me do the commute from Albertville to Downtown everyday. But that's just me. Why do that to yourself? I-94 is awful and only going to get worse.
Lol, I agree. I love my 8 minute commute to work. 12 minutes on a bad day. I’m just looking to buy or build my “dream home” and the outer ring suburbs are cheaper than the ridiculously expensive new construction homes in GV. I’ve got it good right now being in a nice city and amazing neighbors; I’m just living in an older home that needs more up keeping.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:44 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy88 View Post
Lol, I agree. I love my 8 minute commute to work. 12 minutes on a bad day. I’m just looking to buy or build my “dream home” and the outer ring suburbs are cheaper than the ridiculously expensive new construction homes in GV. I’ve got it good right now being in a nice city and amazing neighbors; I’m just living in an older home that needs more up keeping.
I did the long commute from south of the metro (50+ minutes) to downtown (well, St. Anthony Main) and then Golden Valley. It wasn't so bad as I don't mind driving. And the job was worth it. But now I live less than two miles from work, I confess, I cannot imagine going back.

That doesn't mean you can't do it, though!

Old 07-24-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I did the long commute from south of the metro (50+ minutes) to downtown (well, St. Anthony Main) and then Golden Valley. It wasn't so bad as I don't mind driving. And the job was worth it. But now I live less than two miles from work, I confess, I cannot imagine going back.

That doesn't mean you can't do it, though!
I grew up in Rogers, so when I lived there, I went to Minneapolis and St. Paul a lot and got use to the drive; it felt short. I travel for meetings 30 mins - 1 hr from Minneapolis about 30% of the time, so I’m use to traveling. But, it would be really hard to give up a 8 minute commute or $10 Uber ride to downtown to move back out to the suburbs.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:34 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
In terms of housing, keep the following in mind:
-i wouldn't build a dream home until I knew my family would t grow
-HOME values go down, LAND values go up
-i don't know the future of the housing market, but I do know home are expensive now and it's not an ideal time to trade up

I speak from experience...neighbors, neighborhood, and location are far more valuable than a dream HOME. Unless being closer to family was that compelling to you (which would be fine), I would not consider this move.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:46 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
I think the idea of doing some shopping, eating out, going to local fairs, festivals, or markets and just generally hanging out in the area to get a feel for the people is a good one. You will get a larger and newer house for the same money further out, but that draws a lot of young families and in a post about Golden Valley you said something about liking the quiet that comes with a neighborhood with few children. The suburbs you mention have a lot of kids living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul