Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 09:35 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,041,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Lighten up, Frances. It’s entertainment. No better or worse than other firms. Of course, reading your post leads me to believe that you’re not much into fun and do your best to make sure that those around you don’t have any either.

It's nice of you to come out of the gate like that and assume that I'm some kind of weirdo because I don't subscribe to the same brainwashing that you've invested your whole life into.

Man, I played tennis for two hours with 6 friends yesterday, a couple sets of singles and a couple sets of doubles and we all rotated. It was way better than sitting in front of the television munching on potato chips and downing Keystone Light. Yeah you sure do live a fun life doing that. Gee. How did those Doritos taste? I don't know about you but I sure enjoyed the breeze yesterday and got my daily dose of sun-induced vitamin D production along with all the exercise.

I do all kinds of stuff: weekly hikes, board games for 4-10, invite people over for home cooked dinners (and attend the same hosted by others), skiing, bowling, and even your occasional bar run. The difference between you and me is that I'm getting out and about and socializing while you watch a bunch of 20-somethings chase a ball.

If you want something fun, put together your own ball game. Maybe start by playing catch with your kids instead of salivating over Tony Romo and how you wish you could be him if only your life had turned out just a little bit differently. Gee, you're so cool. "Your" favorite team really needs "your support", and they couldn't win games without you cheering. Lol. I'm sure you're stoked after "you" won, but conversely how many of you go to work sad and depressed on a Monday morning if "you" lose a game that you didn't even play.

Please. Please people. Break free of the sports trap and fandom. Get back to having real relationships with people and doing real activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 10:04 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,664,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
It's nice of you to come out of the gate like that and assume that I'm some kind of weirdo because I don't subscribe to the same brainwashing that you've invested your whole life into.

Man, I played tennis for two hours with 6 friends yesterday, a couple sets of singles and a couple sets of doubles and we all rotated. It was way better than sitting in front of the television munching on potato chips and downing Keystone Light. Yeah you sure do live a fun life doing that. Gee. How did those Doritos taste? I don't know about you but I sure enjoyed the breeze yesterday and got my daily dose of sun-induced vitamin D production along with all the exercise.

I do all kinds of stuff: weekly hikes, board games for 4-10, invite people over for home cooked dinners (and attend the same hosted by others), skiing, bowling, and even your occasional bar run. The difference between you and me is that I'm getting out and about and socializing while you watch a bunch of 20-somethings chase a ball.

If you want something fun, put together your own ball game. Maybe start by playing catch with your kids instead of salivating over Tony Romo and how you wish you could be him if only your life had turned out just a little bit differently. Gee, you're so cool. "Your" favorite team really needs "your support", and they couldn't win games without you cheering. Lol. I'm sure you're stoked after "you" won, but conversely how many of you go to work sad and depressed on a Monday morning if "you" lose a game that you didn't even play.

Please. Please people. Break free of the sports trap and fandom. Get back to having real relationships with people and doing real activities.
Nice of you to come out of the gate like that and assume I am brainwashed, physically inactive, and a huge pro sports fan. Unfortunately for your narrative, none of those are true.

I haven’t watched a complete pro sports game of any kind in years, am physically active, and as regulars to this forum will attest, adamantly oppose public subsidies of pro sports facilities.

Unlike you, however, I am not a sourpuss or a killjoy so I don’t berate people who do enjoy spectator sports. I understand that people make all sorts of different choices in their lives and am fine with that.

Now you better get back to your board game, Frances.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:21 AM

413 posts, read 320,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
If you lived in St. Paul/ Minneapolis area, and you moved away.... what was the root reason of you leaving the area? Cost of Living? Weather? Crime? Politics? Education Quality? Lack of ... What?

Or why? Why did you move away?

Dear Mr. or Ms. Pertmm-

Here we are two weeks into the topic you initiated and you have yet to participate in the discussion you started (and I assume, have a sincere interest in). Can we look forward to you re-joining and contributing to this discussion? Or are you hanging out with Barney the Banker?

Old 08-05-2019, 01:05 PM

1,186 posts, read 957,655 times
I grew up in the Twin Cities metro and moved to the NYC metro in 2013 due to better job opportunities and higher pay. Specifically, in the tech field I was working in, there was a lot more opportunities to work on technologies and research where the local MN businesses just hadn't adopted yet or were maintaining decades old systems.

Having a few years of perspective behind me now, I do miss the beautiful summers on the city lakes, the flat terrain and the bicycle culture. I miss spending lazy summer evenings out by St Anthony Falls, and the general cleanliness of the city (seriously, guys it is SO CLEAN). I miss the working environments that were less openly cutthroat and had overall better work/life balance. Sometimes I miss the lack of crowds.

What I do not miss is the spring that doesn't start until May, the brutally long winters (and wind!), the need to drive 7+ hours to reach the next major metro area, the lack of public transit outside the immediate metro and having to commute by car/sit in traffic to get almost anywhere.

That said, my family still lives in the twin cities area, so I'm often around for visits but I don't think I have any plans to move back.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM

202 posts, read 426,810 times
Cold weather and too many sjw liberal psychos around

Old 08-15-2019, 02:14 PM

36 posts, read 37,438 times
I moved to Mpls from Texas way back in the 90s and then moved away. As you can see by my username, I've lived a few places since. I left to go to law school. But what I really wanted to comment on was the discussion above about Minnesota (n)ice. Given my history of living a lot of places, I thought maybe I could provide a useful perspective. The way I always describe it to people is that Minnesotans are nice, but not necessarily hospitable. For example, in the south (including the part of Texas I lived in), if you are a guest in someone's home, they make their home yours. In Minnesota, they invite you in, but it's always clear that you're a guest. In the south, people will talk more openly about their thoughts and feelings and ideas. Minnesotans tend to be more surface. Pleasant, but surface. There's a difference between niceness and hospitality. Minnesotans are more the former. I also think you could say there is a bit of repression going on.

I love the Twin Cities though. I wouldn't mind moving back. My only real concern would be my wife and kids making friends because of the above discussion of hospitality vs. nice.

Last edited by chicago2kc; 08-15-2019 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-19-2019, 07:32 PM

143 posts, read 205,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
Dear Mr. or Ms. Pertmm-

Here we are two weeks into the topic you initiated and you have yet to participate in the discussion you started (and I assume, have a sincere interest in). Can we look forward to you re-joining and contributing to this discussion? Or are you hanging out with Barney the Banker?
Hey there, Twins Fan,
First, the only Barney I know is a big purple guy. My apologies for not monitoring this forum closer. In my Minnesota passive aggressive way, I must confess I have been busy working.

Why did I ask?
We lived south of Cedar Ave, moved to the South, moved back to the same area, and then moved away again. Our child left with us in high school, graduated college in the South, moved back to the Twin Cities, got a job- married- had children. When it was time to register for Kindergarten, they looked at the
current school situation in the area and decided to start over in another state.

That is the background to my question. I was in the Twin Cities this past weekend. I wonder if Minnesotan citizens watched the press conference today, and If they agree or disagree? I must say my friends and family never said boo.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Hey there, Twins Fan,
I wonder if Minnesotan citizens watched the press conference today, and If they agree or disagree? I must say my friends and family never said boo.

I did not. Omar is a piece of **** and as it was, I was busy working.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:51 AM

588 posts, read 557,489 times
Quote:
Hey there, Twins Fan,
First, the only Barney I know is a big purple guy. My apologies for not monitoring this forum closer. In my Minnesota passive aggressive way, I must confess I have been busy working.

Why did I ask?
We lived south of Cedar Ave, moved to the South, moved back to the same area, and then moved away again. Our child left with us in high school, graduated college in the South, moved back to the Twin Cities, got a job- married- had children. When it was time to register for Kindergarten, they looked at the
current school situation in the area and decided to start over in another state.

That is the background to my question. I was in the Twin Cities this past weekend. I wonder if Minnesotan citizens watched the press conference today, and If they agree or disagree? I must say my friends and family never said boo.

There’s an active thread regarding the political climate of the Twin Cities

http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...nneapolis.html

Join the discussion there.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
There’s an active thread regarding the political climate of the Twin Cities

http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...nneapolis.html

Join the discussion there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul