Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2019, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 3,040 times

Advertisements

Hi All

Does anyone here have recent experience adding a second level to their rambler in Minneapolis?

I'm looking to add 3 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs (approx 700 sqft). I'd like to get a basic idea how much it would cost, and if anyone had any good experiences with the building company you used.

I'm not planning on any fancy features, it's more about the space.
Floor would be carpet with tile for bathroom.
House was originally built around 1980.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 07:53 PM

83 posts, read 130,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdd1978 View Post
Hi All

Does anyone here have recent experience adding a second level to their rambler in Minneapolis?

I'm looking to add 3 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs (approx 700 sqft). I'd like to get a basic idea how much it would cost, and if anyone had any good experiences with the building company you used.

I'm not planning on any fancy features, it's more about the space.
Floor would be carpet with tile for bathroom.
House was originally built around 1980.

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't even think of doing this nowadays. You're almost certainly better off selling and buying a larger house.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
Not exactly sure. My cousin added, basically a second story to home. Bought a 1940's home that had a walk up attic, stairs but it finished at all. He assumed he could bump out with a former or two. However wasn't up to code to do that. They had to take the whole roof off and put on new one with one large dormer. What you want done is even more drastic, it can be done, one near me that looks good. I've seen that it is approximately 20% more than if you were to build a home on ground level, unless you do some work yourself.

This home I've seen was done well. The back half of roof doesn't have a very steep pitch though. I suppose the roof would have much high if it was.
Google this house:
7007 West Palmer Lake Dr, Brooklyn center. I imagine the home was very much like the others before the addition.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 08-25-2019 at 09:10 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the replies - looking at what we want to do I got a rough estimate of 100-125k for one reputable company to do everything.
That plus what we owe would still be less than the current home's value, so we might go for it - but if course we'll shop around and see what other places offer - perhaps looking for a company who will put up the frame and then do the guts in stages.

We really don't want to move out of our neighborhood, it's more about making the home the way we want it.

Now I just need the banks to give me a loan

Old 08-27-2019, 05:21 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,598,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdd1978 View Post
Thanks for the replies - looking at what we want to do I got a rough estimate of 100-125k for one reputable company to do everything.
That plus what we owe would still be less than the current home's value, so we might go for it - but if course we'll shop around and see what other places offer - perhaps looking for a company who will put up the frame and then do the guts in stages.

We really don't want to move out of our neighborhood, it's more about making the home the way we want it.

Now I just need the banks to give me a loan
Will the city code allow for such a project? Check that out first. IF so, there are plenty of folks who add on or even gut out the entire house and rebuild on site. I know of several homes that have done so. Some add an entire bath, others rebuild and expand an upper level. I think it does happen quite a bit, and you see it from time to time. Most often though, I think the homeowner takes out walls, opens up spaces, and such, maybe add a larger living space downstairs or remodel the entire kitchen. Many homeowners do much of the work themselves, stretched out over maybe a year, others hire out carpenters and or such.
Good luck.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:46 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
You will need a trained architect or engineer to add a second story. We’ve done several remodels and used a design/ build firm. A good general contractor can save you time and money over contracting the job out yourself.

While you may be able to do some of the work yourself, I would caution against against getting in too much over your level of expertise.

A fellow not too far from us added a second story, doing the design and construction himself. Midday way through, after the sheathing was added, the whole thing tipped over onto the neighbors house. He had to bring in professionals for the demolition.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
You will need a trained architect or engineer to add a second story. We’ve done several remodels and used a design/ build firm. A good general contractor can save you time and money over contracting the job out yourself.

While you may be able to do some of the work yourself, I would caution against against getting in too much over your level of expertise.

A fellow not too far from us added a second story, doing the design and construction himself. Midday way through, after the sheathing was added, the whole thing tipped over onto the neighbors house. He had to bring in professionals for the demolition.
Ouch - thanks for the insight - we don't plan to do much ourselves except maybe put up the doors/trim - any other work would be through licensed professionals, just looking at the most cost effective method overall.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Will the city code allow for such a project? Check that out first. IF so, there are plenty of folks who add on or even gut out the entire house and rebuild on site. I know of several homes that have done so. Some add an entire bath, others rebuild and expand an upper level. I think it does happen quite a bit, and you see it from time to time. Most often though, I think the homeowner takes out walls, opens up spaces, and such, maybe add a larger living space downstairs or remodel the entire kitchen. Many homeowners do much of the work themselves, stretched out over maybe a year, others hire out carpenters and or such.
Good luck.
Thanks for the reply - City is ok with it. We're pretty happy with the house so don't want to gut it, basement is finished and we did the kitchen this year, just looking to add more space if possible.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:25 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
Glenfield, Yikes about the house tipping over. Probably didn't get any permits.

My brother bought a HUD home once that needed the whole roof replaced. The previous owner decided he wanted vaulted ceilings and must have taken a chain saw to the ceiling in the living room area and cut all the roof rafters, (whatever they are called) He also took out structural walls for a "open concept" look. The previous owner did manage to put up drywall too. How it survived heavy snowfall in Minnesota without collapsing I don't know.

The place was a money pit and probably would have been cheaper to teardown. The only value was the lot. This was 30 years ago before the fipping houses craze. He never moved in and sold at a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul