U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 04:06 PM

92 posts, read 115,392 times

Advertisements

Considering a move from Florida

I have done my fair share of research and have visited in the summer and fall

My question is for parents

What is life like for active kids, especially those in sports like track, cross country, soccer, and gymnastics and soccer. Is there an extended time they kids are stuck inside?

What is their life like during the coldest months? And how many months are there?

As an adult I plan on running outside year round.

Thx
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 05:01 PM

4,428 posts, read 2,253,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
Considering a move from Florida

I have done my fair share of research and have visited in the summer and fall

My question is for parents

What is life like for active kids, especially those in sports like track, cross country, soccer, and gymnastics and soccer. Is there an extended time they kids are stuck inside?

What is their life like during the coldest months? And how many months are there?

As an adult I plan on running outside year round.

Thx
We have twelve here.

How many do you guys have down there?

Old 07-27-2019, 05:11 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,189,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
We have twelve here.

How many do you guys have down there?
I can’t rep you again yet but IMHO you win the internet today!

Old 07-27-2019, 06:01 PM

Funny,
Yeah yeah yeah... my daughter was crawling on me while typing on phone.

How many months, if any, are children kind of stuck in house due to winter weather?
In Florida, most out door sports shut down. There is no kids soccer or lacrosse ��.
We tried a soccer camp this summer, and it was just too hot and humid.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:02 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,189,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post

Most sports combine outdoor and indoor venues and can do 11 months of the year like that.

Gymnastics, basketball, volleyball, hockey, and figure skating are 100% indoor sports and go almost year around.

Soccer and swim are outdoors in the summer and indoors when it’s cold. I think track and lacrosse are the same but i’m not completely sure how many indoor venues there are for these sports.

Skiing (downhill and Nordic) are winter only.

Cross country is not a winter sports but lots of athletes combine cross country and Nordic skiing.

It can snow as early as October and as late as May but the real winter months are December-March. You and your kids do not have to be idle at any time of the year because of the weather even if you don’t participate in outdoor winter sports.

I hope this is helpful.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:20 PM

3,767 posts, read 8,428,434 times
We moved from SFl 10 years ago. Our kids were 6 and 9. Winters are long. Ironically, many in MSP start behaving as winter starts in Nov; which lengthens the season quite a bit. Kids love the snow and there are a ton of activities to enjoy during the winter. Summer and fall can be amazing weather wise. It is a great place to raise children and we have really enjoyed it.

Cons: Despite what I heard about MN education, I think FL was much better We have FL Prepaid and getting into FL schools are so much more competitive than the Midwest. And, we miss being on a coast. You don’t get to enjoy numerous airports and weekend getaways.

Our kids are in college and headed to college and we will likely leave the Cities in a few years, but it has been really good to us.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:03 AM

Thank you for kind responses
@stillthesame, where are you considering moving?

So for example, in Minnesota, what does a childs soccer season for the year look like?
In Florida they play from Sept - April, with Sept and October still being very hot and humid as well as April. Out door sports shut down after April.

Cross Country and Track are just excellent in Minnesota. They often have 2 teams make it to cross country nationals(top 25 in the country), where Florida has about four times the population, and usually qualifies zero teams. So I am up to date with how they run in Mn.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:39 PM

485 posts, read 578,579 times
MN is the opposite of FL, in that winter starts earlier than you want it to and drags on longer than you want, where in FL summer starts earlier and by the end of September you're over the heat and just want winter to start. In FL winter is for yard projects, outdoor activities and cooking out. In MN it's the other way around. They both have a period in the middle where you want to hole up indoors, it's just for a different reason. Either one can be fine or a prison sentence depending on how you're built.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:52 PM

5,354 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
MN is the opposite of FL, in that winter starts earlier than you want it to and drags on longer than you want, where in FL summer starts earlier and by the end of September you're over the heat and just want winter to start. In FL winter is for yard projects, outdoor activities and cooking out. In MN it's the other way around. They both have a period in the middle where you want to hole up indoors, it's just for a different reason. Either one can be fine or a prison sentence depending on how you're built.
It’s why the coastal communities in LA pricing is off the charts, 70’s just about everyday.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 5,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
It’s why the coastal communities in LA pricing is off the charts, 70’s just about everyday.
yeah, Colorado pretty expensive too

Utah concerns me for other reasons

I am looking for a place with seasons and beauty and a good place for my athletic kids. MN is amazing, but I have only been in summer and fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: