Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:31 AM

4 posts, read 13,862 times

Advertisements

I'm a medical student in Louisiana, have been here all my life, and always thought I would stay here. However, I'm thinking about making a big change for residency, and I believe Minneapolis would qualify. Does anyone here know something about the medical school or residency programs? Would it be difficult to find housing in the area? Is the crime very bad? I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 06:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
The University of Minnesota medical school is very highly respected. Finding housing will be easy and crime levels are low in most areas. The Mayo clinic also has a large residency program, Rochester is only 70 miles south of Minneapolis.

There are many large hospitals in the Twin Cities that have large residency programs as well so it is somewhat a mecca for medical students.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
A friend of mine went through the nursing program at the UofM-TC. Not the same thing, I know, but she absolutely loved it and immediately got hired on with Fairview.

I am not sure about residency, but I do know that Minneapolis and the Twin Cities in general are top notch for medical training as well as medical related fields. I would recommend it.

Crime---most of the crime is petty or considered nuisance. There are violent crime-which can be argued all day over if it is going up or down-but Minneapolis is generally a safe as far as cities go. As far as neighborhoods, most are a mixed bag-a little bit of everything-while some are worse then others (obviously), although there is varying opinion over which areas to avoid. I would suggest to stay away from Jordan in the north and Phillips/Powderhorn in the south. There are many, many decent people that live in Powderhorn, and some genuinely nice areas, but it seems as if it is on the verge of going either way (becoming a complete dump or completely middle, upper middle class). It has the potential to become both.

Historically, Minneapolis has a very low vacancy rate-around 1 to 2%, with the recent construction of condos, those figures may be different now. Either way, you should have no problem finding a place to live.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 13,862 times
I didn't realize the May clinic had a base in Minnesota. How is live in Rochester?

Old 04-18-2008, 07:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Rochester is a town of about 80,000 people an hour south of Minneapolis and St. Paul. It is a great town with a lot to offer, low crime and obviously a great area for anyone interested in medicine.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:24 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones View Post
I didn't realize the May clinic had a base in Minnesota. How is live in Rochester?
Heh. The Mayo Clinic started in Rochester -- the other locations are expansion sites.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:02 PM

411 posts, read 992,529 times
I didn't realize that the Mayo had locations outside of Rochester.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:56 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
I didn't realize that the Mayo had locations outside of Rochester.
Arizona and Florida for sure...

Old 04-21-2008, 09:49 PM

85 posts, read 216,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones View Post
I'm a medical student in Louisiana, have been here all my life, and always thought I would stay here. However, I'm thinking about making a big change for residency, and I believe Minneapolis would qualify. Does anyone here know something about the medical school or residency programs? Would it be difficult to find housing in the area? Is the crime very bad? I appreciate the help.
What specialty are you considering? I can possibly be of help as I attended medical school and residency at the U of MN.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,139 times
Question details about medical school

hi
I am a postgraduate from the Ayurvedic system of medicine (Indian system of medicine). It would be a great deal of help if some one could find me some details about the admission to the medical school in minneapolis. Is my postgraduate degree valued there, or am i supposed to go through any exams. What are the details of the exams, and what is the eligibilty to write those. please help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul