U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 11:10 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,330,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
From a purely aesthetic point of view, Red Wing>Hastings. I have no information about the schools. The top public schools in the area, IMOP, are in the SW metro.

On Tuesday, out of curiosity, I checked the traffic at 5:30pm and, according to the traffic map, you could travel from Red Wing to MSP in 59 minutes. I was VERY surprised at that. Actually, I would prefer a commute like that vs. a commute where you go 10 miles in 35 minutes in stop and go traffic.

I would consider getting AWD vehicle, preferably a SUV, with some clearance. I would also put on snow tires. This should aid you when the it snows during your commute or they haven't cleared the snow yet on your drive. You won't need this probably most of the time but for those 8-10 times of year, it will make a difference.

I would also check the map and see how the commute is estimated for a week or two. If everything is consistent and you don't mind the 1 hour drive, then Red Wing works. On a side note, I always suggest people do the apartment first and get a feel for the area before diving into a house (smaller town usually have a slower housing market so it might be harder to sell if you don't like the area). A little headache now, might save a larger headache in the future.
From Red Wing to MSP at 5:30pm is the wrong way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 11:17 AM

416 posts, read 221,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
LOL...True. I think I actually imputed MSP to Red Wing but I'll check it out tomorrow to make sure. That is a VERY important point.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:08 PM

503 posts, read 1,143,092 times
No. Don't do that to yourself. Hastings should be the very furthest that you should be considering unless you really enjoy spending all of your free time in traffic.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:49 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,769,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
No. Don't do that to yourself. Hastings should be the very furthest that you should be considering unless you really enjoy spending all of your free time in traffic.
Don't know for certain, but I'd imagine from a traffic perspective, the OP wouldn't start hitting congestion until 494 (or maybe northern Cottage Grove depending on route taken).

I don't love long commutes, but my point being that this isn't likely to be a very congested commute until the latter third. Also, if OP has a flexible employer, the snow piece is a moot point.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:49 PM

3,994 posts, read 3,784,382 times
Quote:
LOL...True. I think I actually imputed MSP to Red Wing but I'll check it out tomorrow to make sure. That is a VERY important point.
It's 1hr 1 minute right now at 5:48pm Monday MSP to Red Wing.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:56 PM

416 posts, read 221,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I tried it at 3pm, 4pm, and 5:35 pm (MSP to Red Wing, MN on 12/2/2019). They longest was 1 hr 2 minutes and the shortest was 59 minutes. The assumption is that the google is accurately reflecting the driving time. Like I said before, this is surprising.

The original poster doesn't have a problem with a hour commute so, if this reflects a typical drive, that should not stop him from selecting Red Wing.

Hmmm. I looked up MLS and came across this interesting house from the 1870s.

https://matrixmedia.northstarmls.com...LYdm1EVRtBCw))

MLS# 5259694

what a bargain assuming no major issues!!!

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 12-02-2019 at 06:14 PM..

Old 12-02-2019, 06:00 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,330,453 times
Quote:
I tried it at 3pm, 4pm, and 5:35 pm (MSP to Red Wing, MN on 12/2/2019). They longest was 1 hr 2 minutes and the shortest was 59 minutes. The assumption is that the google is accurately reflecting the driving time. Like I said before, this is surprising.

The original poster doesn't have a problem with a hour commute so, if this reflects a typical drive, that should not stop him from selecting Red Wing.
I guess I would buy these times. Is it down HWY 52 or HWY 10?

Either way those aren’t major commuting corridors. It’s still a long commute and on snowy days could be impassable. At the very least I’d negotiate work from home privileges if possible for weather.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:46 PM

5,798 posts, read 6,391,775 times
People from the east coast are used to very long commute times. That said, while an hour may seem like a piece of cake when they first get here, after a couple of years they’ll be like what am I doing spending two hours a day on the road?

Old 12-02-2019, 10:06 PM

3,631 posts, read 5,201,383 times
I don't know which route they plan on commuting to and fro but if they're going 61 to 50 to 52 there are some hills going through New Trier, Miesville, etc. that I wouldn't want anything to do with in heavy winter weather. We used to go that way to Red Wing when we lived in Lakeville and it took a while. I can't imagine commuting between the airport and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul