Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 26,113 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on these two suburbs. My family is moving to Minneapolis (myself, husband - who will be working downtown on 5th st - and 2 boys age 6 and 3). I think we've narrowed it down to either one of these but would love to have any and all input and opinions regarding schools, commute time, shopping, overall community feel, etc., etc. Looking to spend between 500 and 600,000 on a newer home with a large lot. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 11:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Eden Prairie would be an easier commute and is a more upscale town--not that Maple Grove is bad but Eden Prairie is nicer. The school is huge (high school) but it is also an excellent school.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 28,284 times
I would recommend Maple Grove, hands down. First of all, there are a LOT more stores and restaurants in Maple Grove, as well as a Trader Joes (if you are a fan), which is extremely convenient. I work downtown and from my 48th floor office walking to my car 2 blocks and then driving home, it takes me between 25-35 minutes from desk to front door, depending on traffic, taking 94 West to 694 West to home. There are a LOT of racial problems in Eden Prairie, due to quite a bit of Section 8 housing, that has caused a lot of problems in the schools and increased crime in the community, which is really too bad. There is none of this in Maple Grove.

The only hospital authorized to be built in the State of Minnesota is currently being built in Maple Grove. Additionally, there are clinics and more shopping areas being built around the hospital, which will create more shopping/eating choices.

Additionally, the traffic to Eden Prairie is a problem. Crosstown (Highway 62) is under MAJOR construction, as is 35W. The congestion to the south and southwest metro has created major traffic headaches which appear will be the case for at least a few years to come.

I would disagree with the prior poster about Eden Prairie being more "upscale" than Maple Grove. There are no "bad" areas of Maple Grove and lots of housing developments which are just as "upscale" as Eden Prairie. There are, however, "bad" areas of Eden Prairie with the previously discussed housing issues.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:16 PM

14 posts, read 36,783 times
Eden Prairie/Maple Grove

Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
In general, I think EP is more likely to be hit by a tornado than MG. I would live in Maple Grove because it's like a half hour quicker to skip up North on a Friday afternoon.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:20 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
In general, I think EP is more likely to be hit by a tornado than MG. I would live in Maple Grove because it's like a half hour quicker to skip up North on a Friday afternoon.
Based on what?

Eden Prairie seems to have been hit once in 1952 when an F2 wandered all the way up from around St. Peter, and had an F4 come close (Chanassen) during the 1965 Twin Cities tornado outbreak, but there's been nothing since then.

Maple Grove was just missed (to the north) in 1987.

Source: Tornado History Project

It looks like Hennepin County has had 26 tornados since 1950. My new home, Cobb County GA, has also had 26 tornados during that same period. Hmmm.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 04-22-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 26,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debral View Post
I would recommend Maple Grove, hands down. First of all, there are a LOT more stores and restaurants in Maple Grove, as well as a Trader Joes (if you are a fan), which is extremely convenient. I work downtown and from my 48th floor office walking to my car 2 blocks and then driving home, it takes me between 25-35 minutes from desk to front door, depending on traffic, taking 94 West to 694 West to home. There are a LOT of racial problems in Eden Prairie, due to quite a bit of Section 8 housing, that has caused a lot of problems in the schools and increased crime in the community, which is really too bad. There is none of this in Maple Grove.

The only hospital authorized to be built in the State of Minnesota is currently being built in Maple Grove. Additionally, there are clinics and more shopping areas being built around the hospital, which will create more shopping/eating choices.

Additionally, the traffic to Eden Prairie is a problem. Crosstown (Highway 62) is under MAJOR construction, as is 35W. The congestion to the south and southwest metro has created major traffic headaches which appear will be the case for at least a few years to come.

I would disagree with the prior poster about Eden Prairie being more "upscale" than Maple Grove. There are no "bad" areas of Maple Grove and lots of housing developments which are just as "upscale" as Eden Prairie. There are, however, "bad" areas of Eden Prairie with the previously discussed housing issues.
I'm definitely leaning towards Maple Grove (Trader Joe's is a big plus) but I'm a little concerned about the osseo school district. Anyone know anything good or bad about it?

Old 04-23-2008, 04:25 AM

138 posts, read 627,394 times
Eden Prairie is prettier in that it is hilly and near the Minnesota River. The highways there are really messed up, however. Talk about a spaghetti bowl! Maple Grove is a 20 minute commute...not even close to an hour. Both are great cities to raise a family and both are about the same distance to Minneapolis.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaex2027 View Post
I'm definitely leaning towards Maple Grove (Trader Joe's is a big plus) but I'm a little concerned about the osseo school district. Anyone know anything good or bad about it?
Osseo schools are ok, they aren't horrible but EP schools are top 3 in the state. Keep in mind that if you are looking to live some place because of a grocery store, you can always drive up there on weekends too.

Personally, the Maple Grove area is a nightmare. The traffic is ALWAYS horrible. There are times when it will take you an hour to drive 7 miles. Eden Prairie has bad traffic during rush hour but still no where near as bad as the Maple Grove area.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:55 AM

432 posts, read 1,659,539 times
What are the bad areas of Eden Prairie? Are you talking about Westwind Apartments and The Preserve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul