Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 08:13 PM

194 posts, read 400,736 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Duluth area but now live on the East Coast. I’ve given some thought to moving to Minneapolis when I retire but honestly these riots are giving me pause. I wouldn’t be moving for a long time so I guess it’s a moot point but I had thought of moving to the Lyn-lake/Eat Street area which I think is only a couple of miles from where all of this rioting is happening??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 08:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieDC View Post
I grew up in Duluth area but now live on the East Coast. I’ve given some thought to moving to Minneapolis when I retire but honestly these riots are giving me pause. I wouldn’t be moving for a long time so I guess it’s a moot point but I had thought of moving to the Lyn-lake/Eat Street area which I think is only a couple of miles from where all of this rioting is happening??
Call me an optimist but I suspect things will cool down within the next week or so.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:26 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Call me an optimist but I suspect things will cool down within the next week or so.

We need some heavy rain. This warm sunny weather has probably contributed quite a bit.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:17 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
I recognize your sarcasm. If left in the hands of your spineless mayor and incompetent governor you may be right. Make sure you vote for their re-election 2 years from now with all their strong liberal values.

Right now a strong show of force by a federalized national guard, local police department, and even active duty military looks to be in order. Enough of this foolishness.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I recognize your sarcasm. If left in the hands of your spineless mayor and incompetent governor you may be right. Make sure you vote for their re-election 2 years from now with all their strong liberal values.

Right now a strong show of force by a federalized national guard, local police department, and even active duty military looks to be in order. Enough of this foolishness.
There was zero sarcasm in my post.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
There was zero sarcasm in my post.
Well then, you're part of the problem. Let's not offend the protesters (now known as rioters) and they'll stop when there's nothing left to burn IN A WEEK OR TWO. Maybe your mayor can enlist some city employees to start back-burning to stop the progress of the fires. It works for smoke jumpers at forest fires.

I will never understand the crazy policies of the ultra-liberals. How things are being handled in Minneapolis is even crazier than I even imagined.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Well then, you're part of the problem. Let's not offend the protesters (now known as rioters) and they'll stop when there's nothing left to burn IN A WEEK OR TWO. Maybe your mayor can enlist some city employees to start back-burning to stop the progress of the fires. It works for smoke jumpers at forest fires.

I will never understand the crazy policies of the ultra-liberals. How things are being handled in Minneapolis is even crazier than I even imagined.
When Jamar Clark was killed protestors stood outside the 4th police precinct in North Minneapolis for 18 days. The reaction to this has already far exceeded that. Like I said, my prediction is probably optimistic. I don’t care if I offend the protesters and don’t much appreciate your accusatory tone.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
When Jamar Clark was killed protestors stood outside the 4th police precinct in North Minneapolis for 18 days. The reaction to this has already far exceeded that. Like I said, my prediction is probably optimistic. I don’t care if I offend the protesters and don’t much appreciate your accusatory tone.
YOU are not offending any protesters. Your political party encourages these actions. Then when it happens, stands out of the way to let it all take it's course using their sensibility that the police and government officials who believe in laws somehow deserve this. Does the store owners and people living in this neighborhood deserve this too?

Old 05-30-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
YOU are not offending any protesters. Your political party encourages these actions. Then when it happens, stands out of the way to let it all take it's course using their sensibility that the police and government officials who believe in laws somehow deserve this. Does the store owners and people living in this neighborhood deserve this too?
My political party? Settle down now. You don’t know me. And I would argue that our constitution is primarily what encourages the protestors. Please refer to the first amendment.

Nobody deserves for their business or home to be looted and burned and nobody with half a brain is suggesting otherwise. There is a clear distinction between protesting and rioting. One of them is ok and the other is not.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:12 PM

10 posts, read 5,559 times
Quote:
Yes, it is historically low income but has been undergoing the slow process of improving in recent years. These looters and rioters have effectively accelerated the rate of gentrification by a decent clip by my estimation. Thanks rioters.

There are middle class whites in that area too. Riot Ground Zero is Lake Street and Minnehaha Avenue
where the 1st police station was that burned
also right across the street from the infamous Target, Cub foods Supermarket etc that burned in the riots.

LAKE STREET -WHERE MUCH OF THE VIOLENCE OCCURRED RUNS EAST AND WEST, COVERS MANY NEIGHBORHOODS WHERE RACIAL DEMOGRAPHICS AND SOCIOECONOMIC LEVELS CHANGE AS YOU GO FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER

There are rundown sketchy areas along Lake street but the further west you go you end up in the Fabulous neighborhood called (Uptown) consisting of mostly young people who pay some of the highest rents in the city for Minneapolis standards. The apartment buildings are gorgeous. You are also close to a beautiful lake right in the city.
If you go east of the riot corner Lake street again gets nicer and eventually leads into a nice part of St. Paul...

There are upscale small supermarkets and an upscale co-op called Seward Co-op not far from that area.

Yes there are pockets that non blacks that live on and are very close to Lake street Young families could EASILY live in the suburbs but prefer to be in the city.

Reasons:
Close to Light Rail and downtown
(easy and short commute to downtown Minneapolis to get to white collar high paying jobs)

There is a skyway in downtown Minneapolis that shelters these people from the homeless and street people that hang out on Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis
The office buildings in Minneapolis are attached to the skyway making life easy for the workers who are employed in the downtown buildings..
they are working and taking lunch breaks during the work day in this beautiful network of fast casual restaurants. These businesses only are open M-F to serve the business community.

Easy and short commute to many activities/amenities including
Twins Games
Viking Games
Bars/restaurants
4th of July Fireworks etc
Tradeshows (Home improvement etc at the convention center) located in downtown

Don't be confused and think the riots only happened in the hood.. They did not
If you want to move to Minneapolis continue with you plans to do so....

Too bad about the badly needed Cub foods now closed due in this pandemic.. very sad about this.

If you have a car you can go to another shopping area I guess...

Last edited by sunlady; 05-30-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul