Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 09:39 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Man MN View Post
I'd say huge. Once we're past the pandemic and business and convention travel resumes, there would be little reason for someone to choose Minneapolis over a multitude of other cities. I mean every time you open up a national newspaper, including the NY Times and Washington Post, it's an article on another stupid thing the city council has done.
I’d say you’re off your rocker. Let’s not discount the fact that it’s the most populated city in the state and the economic center of the 16th largest metropolitan area in the country.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 09-29-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 09:43 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
What's the chances Minneapolis along with Portland and Seattle are on many's 'do not visit' list? Long memories will put a big dent in the tourism industry for those places for years to come.
It's on mine. As I've posted before, the Twin Cities have always been a favorite day trip/weekend trip for me my whole life. Your damn city has gone nuts AND dangerous over the last few years.

I have no appealing reason to go there right now. I'm the relatively close out of stater who's repeat business should be like gold. It's not just us people from the outside of the state region that look at your metro as unappealing. The same can be said about people living IN Minnesota, yet not connected to the Twin Cities by employment, healthcare, or relatives. Your cities, I can guarantee you, are not on a huge number of these people's "go to" list as well.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:44 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
This reminds me of the incels and Red Pills contributing to the Romantic Relationships sub forum. They post every other day about not trusting evil wimmenz, not wanting a relationship, online dating is stupid...and yet there they are reading, replying, and “trying” to give advice. The overwhelming question is always: “if you dislike all of this, why are you always here trying to post about it?”

Just like the people who live in The Cities, who want to see their friends, other people, and their businesses do well here, are silently replying: “Who cares if *you hate it and won’t come here? With naysayers nasty attitudes and constant put downs, why would we care if you come here for anything?”

Concentrate on your own wonderful communities.

ETA: *Not directed at one particular poster, but a general miserable attitude that comes through in the posting of many.

Last edited by RbccL; 09-29-2020 at 07:07 PM..

Old 09-29-2020, 09:34 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
What's the chances Minneapolis along with Portland and Seattle are on many's 'do not visit' list? Long memories will put a big dent in the tourism industry for those places for years to come.
Minneapolis’ tourism industry is pretty small, and is a tiny part of the overall economy. Business travel is a much bigger component of travel to the Twin Cities. Even if those tourists from the Dakotas, outstate Minnesota, Iowa, and Western Wisconsin stop coming, the impact won’t be big. It’s not a city like Miami, LA, San Diego, or even Chicago as far as tourism being an important part of the economy.

The biggest risk to the city is upper middle class flight, or never settling in the city to begin with. Minneapolis is one of the few big cities in the Midwest that has a fairly intact core (outside of N Mpls). If there are less amenities due to businesses closing (both due to COVID and damage from riots), and crime goes up due to more passive policing, the suburbs will start to look more attractive for those than can afford to live almost anywhere in the metro. We have no plans to move back, but I had always thought that if we did, we would buy a house somewhere in East Isles or Lowry Hill. Just looked and Lowry Hill has a lot of houses listed. I would be too risk averse to buy right now. I would probably rent or at least consider the burbs, which I never would have before. I think the trajectory of the city will be clearer in a few years. Hopefully it doesn’t follow the decline other Midwest cities have seen.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:44 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Minneapolis’ tourism industry is pretty small, and is a tiny part of the overall economy. Business travel is a much bigger component of travel to the Twin Cities. Even if those tourists from the Dakotas, outstate Minnesota, Iowa, and Western Wisconsin stop coming, the impact won’t be big. It’s not a city like Miami, LA, San Diego, or even Chicago as far as tourism being an important part of the economy.

The biggest risk to the city is upper middle class flight, or never settling in the city to begin with. Minneapolis is one of the few big cities in the Midwest that has a fairly intact core (outside of N Mpls). If there are less amenities due to businesses closing (both due to COVID and damage from riots), and crime goes up due to more passive policing, the suburbs will start to look more attractive for those than can afford to live almost anywhere in the metro. We have no plans to move back, but I had always thought that if we did, we would buy a house somewhere in East Isles or Lowry Hill. Just looked and Lowry Hill has a lot of houses listed. I would be too risk averse to buy right now. I would probably rent or at least consider the burbs, which I never would have before. I think the trajectory of the city will be clearer in a few years. Hopefully it doesn’t follow the decline other Midwest cities have seen.
Yep. We were okay with paying the exorbitant taxes until they started allowing lawlessness and defunding the police. If safety is not being funded, then nothing else matters. Maslows hierarchy. Safety is a pretty big deal.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:28 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Yep. We were okay with paying the exorbitant taxes until they started allowing lawlessness and defunding the police. If safety is not being funded, then nothing else matters. Maslows hierarchy. Safety is a pretty big deal.
Exactly! I don't think people are going to want to pay high property taxes when it isn't safe to live in Mpls anymore. I am hoping that housing prices drop in 2021 so I can buy a place in the suburbs. Would never buy in Mpls.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:26 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
I am hoping that housing prices drop in 2021
Not likely, especially outside the cities. Sellers paradise right now and has been for a while.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:32 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
What a ridiculous thread.

Minneapolis is the 3rd-densest major city between the coasts. No Fortune 500 companies are fleeing Minneapolis. In fact, Amazon has invested in new offices in the North Loop of Minneapolis. Minor companies like Taco John's have moved their corporate offices to Minneapolis. So has Winnebago. So has Jack Links.

"Not safe to live in Minneapolis anymore????" What a stupid statement. Yes, the city had violence as response for the murder of George Floyd. And that response involved about 1% of the city.

"Minneapolis is burning!" scream the right wing. Well, from my neighborhood in North Minneapolis, I don't see the embers. All I see is a right-wing propaganda campaign to de-stabilize peaceful neighborhoods by promulgating stupid conspiracy theories that we are on the verge of a civil war.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:36 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
What a ridiculous thread.

Minneapolis is the 3rd-densest major city between the coasts. No Fortune 500 companies are fleeing Minneapolis. In fact, Amazon has invested in new offices in the North Loop of Minneapolis. Minor companies like Taco John's have moved their corporate offices to Minneapolis. So has Winnebago. So has Jack Links.

"Not safe to live in Minneapolis anymore????" What a stupid statement. Yes, the city had violence as response for the murder of George Floyd. And that response involved about 1% of the city.

"Minneapolis is burning!" scream the right wing. Well, from my neighborhood in North Minneapolis, I don't see the embers. All I see is a right-wing propaganda campaign to de-stabilize peaceful neighborhoods by promulgating stupid conspiracy theories that we are on the verge of a civil war.
What Fortune 500 company is headquartered in Mpls proper besides Target? They might have more employees at their Brooklyn Park campus?

Old 10-02-2020, 08:37 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
What Fortune 500 company is headquartered in Mpls proper besides Target? They might have more employees at their Brooklyn Park campus?
U.S. Bancorp
Ameriprise Financial
Xcel Energy
Thrivent Financial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul