Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 11:52 AM

542 posts, read 448,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Exactly. Some posters in these threads assume that if something doesn't happen at, say, riot speed, it isn't happening or going to happen. Up to 66 homicides already this year in Riotville to date, against only 49 in all of 2019.
And some posters are unaware of how high the crime was in the 90s. 1995 had 98 murders with a much lower population, so the murder rate was even higher. Somehow Minneapolis survived the 90s, so I expect it to survive now. The big issue will be economics and how many people lost there jobs. I expect foreclosures, evictions, and people leaving due to Covid-19-thanks to the bungling and crazy leadership by Trump. I wouldn't be shocked at a 10-20% drop in population that rebounds as the economy improves in the next 3 to 5 years

A positive for renters is that if there is a drop in population, rents will go down.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 10-21-2020 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 12:08 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Exactly. Some posters in these threads assume that if something doesn't happen at, say, riot speed, it isn't happening or going to happen. Up to 66 homicides already this year in Riotville to date, against only 49 in all of 2019.
And what I have asked and have still not received an answer on is how much longer should we have to expect to wait? George Floyd was killed 5 months ago.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:09 PM

542 posts, read 448,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Makes sense.

Yes the law says one thing but according to research this law has been interpreted many different ways. Like the man in little falls who had a jury decide his fate because he shot two teenagers who repeatedly broke in. This law is not as cut and dry as people like to portray, unfortunately.

Here is the case I was referring to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_...Smith_killings
What research are you referring to? I do not think there is much ambiguity to that case and makes a good example how the castle doctrine could be abused to try to justify murdering someone. If you think he was justified, than Lord help you.

My first instructor was a cop who worked in a mid sized Minnesota town for thirty years. In all that time, he never drew his weapon. His belief was if you're brandishing your gun more than once, you are doing it wrong.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:49 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The exodus might happen slower than some think. Assuming that they will continue with a downsized police department, crime will continue to rise and more will move out. But certainly not most or all. Milwaukee WI is terrible, high crime, high taxes, and terrible schools. I wouldn't think anyone would want to live there, but over 600,000 still do. Different strokes for different folks.
If crime and the rule of law is not re-established, then there will be a slow degradation, and the people that leave will be the ones you actually want staying.

The people of Minneapolis need to be quite aggressive in removing the current city "leadership", and finding some adult management. This will be hard to do with a region of majority progressives, but even progressives get tired of crime and the degradation of their quality of life, and begin to yearn for the rule of law again. I sincerely hope my hometown of Minneapolis normalizes again, and sooner vice later, but I am not holding my breath.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:53 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post

Yes the law says one thing but according to research this law has been interpreted many different ways. Like the man in little falls who had a jury decide his fate which ultimately landed him in prison for life because he shot two teenagers who repeatedly broke in. This law is not as cut and dry as people like to portray, unfortunately.

Here is the case I was referring to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_...Smith_killings
That is not a good example of home defense in Minnesota at all. He performed a Coup de Grace on the girl far after she was any threat at all. That sunk him with the jury, and with the law.

I followed that case very closely, being from Minnesota and also having personally worked with Byron Smith in the past. Byron Smith was a strange dude to start with, I know that for a fact. I was not surprised at all he took the steps he did.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:21 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
If crime and the rule of law is not re-established, then there will be a slow degradation, and the people that leave will be the ones you actually want staying.

The people of Minneapolis need to be quite aggressive in removing the current city "leadership", and finding some adult management. This will be hard to do with a region of majority progressives, but even progressives get tired of crime and the degradation of their quality of life, and begin to yearn for the rule of law again. I sincerely hope my hometown of Minneapolis normalizes again, and sooner vice later, but I am not holding my breath.
I predict that those with the means will get the hell out of Minneapolis eventually if they are in disagreement with the politics. The mental harm from the riots and support for criminals cuts too deep. Also, what about those increased taxes coming to pay for all of this!

Old 10-22-2020, 06:31 AM

Eventually, Mpls won't be the destination for those who come for the liberal benefits, since as the tax payers leave, less money for free stuff. Enduring the cold won't be worth it anymore.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:01 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
My sister was paying $7,000 in property taxes every year in Milwaukee, on a $200,000 house. I wouldn't call that inexpensive. But I'm sure rich people have a different standard.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
My sister was paying $7,000 in property taxes every year in Milwaukee, on a $200,000 house. I wouldn't call that inexpensive. But I'm sure rich people have a different standard.
Ah, that is right, property taxes are high in WI. Yes, i think that is an insane amount to pay for that property. Illinois is even worse. MN property taxes soon to be increased a lot I assume.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:35 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Milwaukee WI is terrible, high crime, high taxes, and terrible schools. I wouldn't think anyone would want to live there, but over 600,000 still do. Different strokes for different folks.
I was not aware Milwaukee was that bad. I have many relatives who live there and have no desire to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul