U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2020, 01:03 PM

43 posts, read 52,387 times

Advertisements

Howdy folks.

Sometime in the (relatively) near future, my wife and I plan to buy a home somewhere in the outer suburbs of MSP. We currently live around the Chain of Lakes, which while it has its perks, doesn't offer what we want in the long run. We also are generally not interested in the bulk of Minneapolis or St Paul proper, but still need to be within a ~30 minute driving time of MSP airport (I'm a pilot).

The areas I've been looking at the most start just south of Lake Minnetonka and work counterclockwise in a ring shape until about where I-494 cuts Eagan off from Mendota Heights. To be more comprehensive, here are most of the places I've been looking at:

Chanhassen, Eden Prairie, Chaska, Carver, Shakopee, Savage, Burnsville, Apple Valley, Lakeville, Rosemount, and Eagan. There may be some others I am forgetting to mention.

Our priorities are low crime and relative quiet, homes on the newer and more affordable side, a decent number of parks and other green spaces, and, if at all possible, a relatively centralized business district.

We aren't thinking of having children so schools don't matter to us. We also don't care about night life and having cultural establishments near us as we would be willing to drive on the rare occasions we go.

The only ones I feel iffy on are Shakopee and Savage. I've noticed the crime numbers are a bit high for suburbs so far out, and I never was a fan of the vibe I've gotten while in the area. I'm still open to the suggestion, however.

Chanhassen seems quite nice, but also seems to have home values to match, so it may end up being a no-go for us.

I'd also like to ask that we keep politics out of this. I know it's been a difficult time, but I don't want nor need a flame war here.

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 07:24 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,282,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator545 View Post
Howdy folks.

Sometime in the (relatively) near future, my wife and I plan to buy a home somewhere in the outer suburbs of MSP. We currently live around the Chain of Lakes, which while it has its perks, doesn't offer what we want in the long run. We also are generally not interested in the bulk of Minneapolis or St Paul proper, but still need to be within a ~30 minute driving time of MSP airport (I'm a pilot).

The areas I've been looking at the most start just south of Lake Minnetonka and work counterclockwise in a ring shape until about where I-494 cuts Eagan off from Mendota Heights. To be more comprehensive, here are most of the places I've been looking at:

Chanhassen, Eden Prairie, Chaska, Carver, Shakopee, Savage, Burnsville, Apple Valley, Lakeville, Rosemount, and Eagan. There may be some others I am forgetting to mention.

Our priorities are low crime and relative quiet, homes on the newer and more affordable side, a decent number of parks and other green spaces, and, if at all possible, a relatively centralized business district.

We aren't thinking of having children so schools don't matter to us. We also don't care about night life and having cultural establishments near us as we would be willing to drive on the rare occasions we go.

The only ones I feel iffy on are Shakopee and Savage. I've noticed the crime numbers are a bit high for suburbs so far out, and I never was a fan of the vibe I've gotten while in the area. I'm still open to the suggestion, however.

Chanhassen seems quite nice, but also seems to have home values to match, so it may end up being a no-go for us.

I'd also like to ask that we keep politics out of this. I know it's been a difficult time, but I don't want nor need a flame war here.

Thank you in advance.

We owned in Eagan from 2001-10 and were there a year prior, renting.

It would certainly meet your needs for MSP - we had two Delta pilots on our street. One of the reasons we left was the new runway that went in around 2008 which direct a lot of new air traffic over Eagan. By no means the only reason but it factored in, so take a look at the MSP Flight Tracker map if you are looking in Eagan.

Eagan was nice. Very good location to MSP and the downtowns. Our neighborhood was built out in the '80s and driving around it looks like the bulk of Eagan was built in the 70s through the 90s, but some older homes. By the time we left, there were not many vacant lots left for building in Eagan. With the established neighborhoods, a lot of mature trees and big lots. And some hills, at least not entirely flat.

Since we left, Boeing left and vacated a huge property on Yankee Doodle on the west side of Pilot Knob that is now an outdoor shopping area. That is in addition to outdoor shopping nearby in the East side of Pilot Knob and more down off of Cliff and I-35. And now an outlet mall. Eagan does not lack for shopping, but it chains. The restaurants when we where there were almost entirely chains, which is common to the Twin Cities suburbs.

A great part in Lebanon Hills Regional Park, which is almost 2k acres.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:06 AM

43 posts, read 52,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
We owned in Eagan from 2001-10 and were there a year prior, renting.

It would certainly meet your needs for MSP - we had two Delta pilots on our street. One of the reasons we left was the new runway that went in around 2008 which direct a lot of new air traffic over Eagan. By no means the only reason but it factored in, so take a look at the MSP Flight Tracker map if you are looking in Eagan.

Eagan was nice. Very good location to MSP and the downtowns. Our neighborhood was built out in the '80s and driving around it looks like the bulk of Eagan was built in the 70s through the 90s, but some older homes. By the time we left, there were not many vacant lots left for building in Eagan. With the established neighborhoods, a lot of mature trees and big lots. And some hills, at least not entirely flat.

Since we left, Boeing left and vacated a huge property on Yankee Doodle on the west side of Pilot Knob that is now an outdoor shopping area. That is in addition to outdoor shopping nearby in the East side of Pilot Knob and more down off of Cliff and I-35. And now an outlet mall. Eagan does not lack for shopping, but it chains. The restaurants when we where there were almost entirely chains, which is common to the Twin Cities suburbs.

A great part in Lebanon Hills Regional Park, which is almost 2k acres.
Great info, thank you.

Funny you mention the runways, we did look into that with a noise map and we drew the cutoff where the noise is comparable to where we live now. We actually currently live right under the main approaches used by MSP, but we're far away enough to have the noise not be an issue.

Old 09-13-2020, 08:49 PM

3,662 posts, read 5,231,073 times
My choices from your list would be Chaska and Lakeville. Lakeville has quicker access to the airport. We actually lived there for a year (rented a duplex) and loved it, but wound up coming way north in correlation with affording a bigger home. It's just a very pretty, safe area with relatively quick access to so many things and places. Chaska is even prettier IMO and their town square is straight out of a Rockwell painting. Probably my favorite spot in the whole metro and we go there all the time just to walk around and take it in.

You didn't mention your budget, but like I said we ended up where we are because those spots were a little too pricey for us being a family of 6 and needing a 4BR 2BA house.....otherwise we'd probably still be down there. Happy hunting and good luck....the market is a sellers paradise and you have to strike quick as a rattlesnake when you see something you like.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:49 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,401,489 times
Chanhassen would be my top pick if I were you. It’s also in carver county so property taxes are quite a bit lower. It’s very green and seems to be a really well ran city. People seem to be friendly out there too. We got recommendations to check out savage and also had the same impression as you (same goes for shakopee). I have a friend who lives in Eagan and they really like it.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:32 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,812,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator545 View Post
Howdy folks.

Thank you in advance.
I lived in eagan/av/bv/lakeville for 20+ years. There's not really a bad one on your list, and are all a lot more similar than different. Cost aside, I'd pick eagan as it's close to the airport, has good schools, retail, and highway access.

AV and eagan do get airplane noise, but I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir there.

As nice as eagan is, there are some parts I would avoid. Voacan road, blackhawk road behind outlet mall, wescott apartment, and western Lone oak area, while not bad by national standards, they are the sub-par parts of eagan

Old 09-25-2020, 06:32 AM

2,403 posts, read 491,152 times
You could look at southern Woodbury. Bailey road now connects to I 494 and then it’s a straight shot to the airport.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:01 PM

24 posts, read 12,734 times
We moved from Uptown to Eden Prairie about five years ago. EP's not perfect, but we're happy with the choice we made. Lots of parks and things to do. Schools are generally good. A bit lacking in restaurants and culture, but Minneapolis is only 15 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul