Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Minneapolis/St. Paul area ever recover from the riots? Or has it already?
Yes, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will recover from the riots. 39 40.21%
No, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will never recover from the riots. 42 43.30%
The Minneapolis/St. Paul area has already recovered from the riots. 16 16.49%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 06:44 PM

588 posts, read 561,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
This forum has been overtaken by those of a certain political ideology it and reflects their warped view of the world. Many moderates, like myself, have left or post infrequently.
All I can say is, just like all cities there are certain rough areas and places to not be hanging out at night. Most of the area is just fine and very livable. You will have to see for yourself if moving here is a possibility for you. I think you will find that the Twin Cities are indeed, not hell on earth.

This is spot on advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WandererAndTraveler View Post
Should I regret having accepted the job then? Y'all make it sound like the area is hell on earth.
You can look at crime data in the neighborhood you’re looking to move into.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
The problem is that currently only a few posters here actually live in Minneapolis. The largest cynics live in places like Sioux Falls, SD or way out in the outskirts of the metro area in places like Cambridge and Hastings and are critical towards the core cities because it suits their political narrative. Kavalier lives in St. Paul but has what I would consider to be a dangerously pessimistic view of life and seems to use this forum to blow off steam.

There are only a few posters here who currently live in Minneapolis proper (Glenfield, Camden Northsider, Somnifor, acrobat612 and myself). Mpls Todd has good input too but I believe he relocated to Ohio? Anyway, I may be missing one or two semi-frequent posters, but that is pretty much it. If you’re looking for a legitimate perspective of every day life in the city of Minneapolis these are posters you can trust. For others here it is a mixed bag and in some cases you have your political troll who wants to weigh in despite never setting foot here beyond maybe passing through MSP to catch a connecting flight once.

So I’m sorry to type this, but, reader beware.
This poster has stated in another thread that they have accepted a position at St Catherine’s and will be moving into that area.

Last edited by Yac; 02-02-2021 at 11:06 PM..

Old 01-31-2021, 08:29 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Just don't live in the Cities proper.
Depends. Do you want to participate in the upcoming riots and highway shutdowns this summer? Then fine.

The increase in crime is shocking and just now they are still planning on defunding the police. Minneapolis is brain dead and the rest of the state isn’t far behind. Breaks my heart!

Old 02-01-2021, 09:40 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
This forum has been overtaken by those of a certain political ideology it and reflects their warped view of the world. Many moderates, like myself, have left or post infrequently.
All I can say is, just like all cities there are certain rough areas and places to not be hanging out at night. Most of the area is just fine and very livable. You will have to see for yourself if moving here is a possibility for you. I think you will find that the Twin Cities are indeed, not hell on earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Depends. Do you want to participate in the upcoming riots and highway shutdowns this summer? Then fine.

The increase in crime is shocking and just now they are still planning on defunding the police. Minneapolis is brain dead and the rest of the state isn’t far behind. Breaks my heart!
I'm just tired of the petty (and some times violent) crime in the Cities. I've been here my whole life so I've seen it all.

There is some exaggeration in what I am saying ("don't live in the Cities proper") but on the other hand I know this place and the level of preparedness you have to have at all times.

Truth be told I'd like to see my part of St. Paul gentrify but I am a pessimist by nature so I don't know that I see that.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WandererAndTraveler View Post
Should I regret having accepted the job then? Y'all make it sound like the area is hell on earth.
It definitely is not a lot of fun right now. Maybe people from high crime cities would not care but it’s been a tremendous over the top spike in car hijacks, catalytic converters stolen and just plain theft. Tremendous. And be careful walking from your bus stop to work downtown. Spiked increase of robberies and muggings downtown. It’s mostly teen and youth, with a dose of hardened criminals thrown in the mix.

What area are you going to be working in?

Old 02-04-2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
The problem is that currently only a few posters here actually live in Minneapolis. The largest cynics live in places like Sioux Falls, SD or way out in the outskirts of the metro area in places like Cambridge and Hastings and are critical towards the core cities because it suits their political narrative. Kavalier lives in St. Paul but has what I would consider to be a dangerously pessimistic view of life and seems to use this forum to blow off steam.

There are only a few posters here who currently live in Minneapolis proper (Glenfield, Camden Northsider, Somnifor, acrobat612 and myself). Mpls Todd has good input too but I believe he relocated to Ohio? Anyway, I may be missing one or two semi-frequent posters, but that is pretty much it. If you’re looking for a legitimate perspective of every day life in the city of Minneapolis these are posters you can trust. For others here it is a mixed bag and in some cases you have your political troll who wants to weigh in despite never setting foot here beyond maybe passing through MSP to catch a connecting flight once.

I have left the city proper and live a whole 13 miles away. Sheesh. Born and raised in Minneapolis, still worked there, with tons of relatives and friends still stuck in that hell whole. I do not think 13 miles destroys my credibility LOL.

Glad you like it , they need someone to keep taxing for their programs. But now they have talked about the Stay at Home tax on worker that don’t go downtown due to the virus. Directly affects my household. Not their choice, their company demanded they work from home. The reason for this tax is to recoup lost money from those working at home and not spending money downtown. I haven’t heard if it passed or not...yet.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:11 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:

First things first, we need to get rid of the leadership here because there is no leadership. Tough love and lots of it will take us back to where we were. The mishandling of the riots (and covid and and and) has put up a sign to degenerates from other areas of the country to come on down. These aren't choir boys & girls coming here.

For those of you that think all this is OK - you need to move to Chicago - you'd be real happy there.

BTW - I agree with Kavalier - that is reality.

Current leadership can only make it worse.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
It definitely is not a lot of fun right now. Maybe people from high crime cities would not care but it’s been a tremendous over the top spike in car hijacks, catalytic converters stolen and just plain theft. Tremendous. And be careful walking from your bus stop to work downtown. Spiked increase of robberies and muggings downtown. It’s mostly teen and youth, with a dose of hardened criminals thrown in the mix.

What area are you going to be working in?
I tend to agree with this. It's not South Central, but it's certainly not gated off North Oaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
First things first, we need to get rid of the leadership here because there is no leadership. Tough love and lots of it will take us back to where we were. The mishandling of the riots (and covid and and and) has put up a sign to degenerates from other areas of the country to come on down. These aren't choir boys & girls coming here.

For those of you that think all this is OK - you need to move to Chicago - you'd be real happy there.

BTW - I agree with Kavalier - that is reality.

Current leadership can only make it worse.

The problem with the City Council in both the Twin Cities is that your intelligence or depth of character doesn't matter. What matters? Your "identity". If you are a trans, or gay, or a "minority"...that is what matters to get elected in our once-decent Cities.

And that will never change that I can see in my lifetime. That is the new normal. Therefore, we will never get decent leadership here. I just hope I can cash in on my house at the right time within the next 5-10 years before it becomes a literal swamp more than it already is.

Got St. Paul Counclmembers talking about "reparations"? I mean, seriously? Are these people completely absolutely bat---- nutter? This is like the last city on earth that should be discussing such lunacy.

BUT...there you go, that is their priority...sewing division and pushing divisive nonsense that will do absolutelly no good whatsoever for any single tax-paying citizen under their schemes.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:20 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:

I've stopped participating in the Minnesota forums for reasons those who are familiar with me don't need explained, although I do still take a glance occasionally..... but since the Cambridge shot was obviously directed at me I'll take a minute to retort.

Cruz's comments personify to a tee the typical Minneapolis hyper-elitism and intolerance that drive an impenetrable wedge between the people who actually live there and the rest of us in Minnesota who depend upon the Twin Cities as the engine that makes this state go. We may not live there, but we go there for business. We go there for healthcare. We go there to dine. We go there for entertainment. We go there for many other things.....and the common denominator with every one of these involves us dropping bundles of money that helps to sustain these establishments and in turn the city and its residents. That's why people never refer to a major city as just the city.....it's always the "metro". Minneapolis is still in essence the big backyard for all Minnesotans. In short, we make people like Cruz's life better with our patronage and our dollars. I would love to know where the city of Minneapolis would be without the massive financial infusions coming from the suburbs and the rest of the state. It's not like he says......most of us "suburbanites" aren't just passing through once every blue moon. We're there constantly. We're major players in Minneapolis, too, whether they want to admit it or not......and yet we're supposed to keep our noses out of any conversation or situation involving the manner in which the city is run and the policies that emerge from it.....even though it should be beyond evident to anyone with so much as a single firing brain cell that the effects of said policies ripple outward far beyond the city's borders. Case in point: The skyrocketing crime on the heels of the defund the police movement that shamelessly compromise law enforcements ability to carry out their duties and which evoke a palpable sense of weakness that criminals descend upon like a pride of Lions to a wounded Wildebeest. Carjackings in Minneapolis up 500% at one point last year......anyone? anyone? Not 25%. Not 50. Not even 100. FIVE HUNDRED PERCENT. The suburbanites should just ignore it, though. The magical suburban force field encasing their vehicles will protect them whenever they show up to unload their contributions which help keep that engine I mentioned firing on all cylinders.

Cruz is hilarious. "Legitimate perspective on every day life in the city of Minneapolis" when half of those (maybe more) comprising that perspective are people just like the rube from Cambridge authoring this post. I guess he thinks those traffic backups going in and out of the city every rush hour are just Minneapolitans getting their daily fix of suburban life. He doesn't want to admit that we're more than just flies buzzing around the bright light and that we are not only beneficial to his city slicking existence.......we are, in fact, essential to it.

You want something legitimate, Cruz? My family and I will never go to Minneapolis again to contribute anything I just mentioned unless it is a dire emergency or until you oh so elite citizens decide to start electing mentally stable adults to run that place again. Now multiply someone like me by the thousands and see where your little exclusive paradise is one, five, ten years from now......because that will be YOUR new normal......and somehow I don't think you'll be bragging on it with quite the same frequency by then.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 02-04-2021 at 12:29 PM..

Old 02-04-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I've stopped participating in the Minnesota forums for reasons those who are familiar with me don't need explained, although I do still take a glance occasionally..... but since the Cambridge shot was obviously directed at me I'll take a minute to retort.

Cruz's comments personify to a tee the typical Minneapolis hyper-elitism and intolerance that drive an impenetrable wedge between the people who actually live there and the rest of us in Minnesota who depend upon the Twin Cities as the engine that makes this state go. We may not live there, but we go there for business. We go there for healthcare. We go there to dine. We go there for entertainment. We go there for many other things.....and the common denominator with every one of these involves us dropping bundles of money that helps to sustain these establishments and in turn the city and its residents. That's why people never refer to a major city as just the city.....it's always the "metro". Minneapolis is still in essence the big backyard for all Minnesotans. In short, we make people like Cruz's life better with our patronage and our dollars. I would love to know where the city of Minneapolis would be without the massive financial infusions coming from the suburbs and the rest of the state. It's not like he says......most of us "suburbanites" aren't just passing through once every blue moon. We're there constantly. We're major players in Minneapolis, too, whether they want to admit it or not......and yet we're supposed to keep our noses out of any conversation or situation involving the manner in which the city is run and the policies that emerge from it.....even though it should be beyond evident to anyone with so much as a single firing brain cell that the effects of said policies ripple outward far beyond the city's borders. Case in point: The skyrocketing crime on the heels of the defund the police movement that shamelessly compromise law enforcements ability to carry out their duties and which evoke a palpable sense of weakness that criminals descend upon like a pride of Lions to a wounded Wildebeest. Carjackings in Minneapolis up 500% at one point last year......anyone? anyone? Not 25%. Not 50. Not even 100. FIVE HUNDRED PERCENT. The suburbanites should just ignore it, though. The magical suburban force field encasing their vehicles will protect them whenever they show up to unload their contributions which help keep that engine I mentioned firing on all cylinders.

Cruz is hilarious. "Legitimate perspective on every day life in the city of Minneapolis" when half of those (maybe more) comprising that perspective are people just like the rube from Cambridge authoring this post. I guess he thinks those traffic backups going in and out of the city every rush hour are just Minneapolitans getting their daily fix of suburban life. He doesn't want to admit that we're more than just flies buzzing around the bright light and that we are not only beneficial to his city slicking existence.......we are, in fact, essential to it.

You want something legitimate, Cruz? My family and I will never go to Minneapolis again to contribute anything I just mentioned unless it is a dire emergency or until you oh so elite citizens decide to start electing mentally stable adults to run that place again. Now multiply someone like me by the thousands and see where your little exclusive paradise is one, five, ten years from now......because that will be YOUR new normal......and somehow I don't think you'll be bragging on it with quite the same frequency by then.
There was a car jacking on the news in Woodbury recently. Which reminds me, I worry not just about the Cities proper, but all surrounding 'burbs. I've posted this link before, but it's always good to repost it when appropriate. The people in charge of this state (and I believe federally, as well) are trying to export as many problems from the cities as well:

As affordability pushes its way into the suburbs, it will be like a kettle in which issues of fairness, class, property values and crime will bubble and sometimes boil over.

Opponents say “affordable housing” has acquired the stink of the “welfare” label — a sign of a neighborhood in decline.

“I don’t want Apple Valley to become the Phillips neighborhood of Dakota County,” Apple Valley City Council Member Tom Goodman said in 2006 as he argued against an affordable-housing project. Phillips is a high-crime, racially diverse part of Minneapolis.

https://www.twincities.com/2008/06/2...dable-housing/

Old 02-04-2021, 12:58 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post

I appreciate your decision to respond as your post supports exactly what I said in my post. Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul