Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 09:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Wednesday the Justice Department has launched a sweeping investigation into the patterns and practices of the Minneapolis Police Department after the guilty verdict for former officer Derek Chauvin in George Floyd’s death.

Federal investigators will assess the police department’s use of excessive force, including during protests, whether it engages in discriminatory conduct and the effectiveness of its current accountability mechanisms.

The findings will become public if the DOJ concludes there is a "reasonable cause to believe the MPD has a pattern or practice of unlawful or unconstitutional policing." Garland said. To address issues, the city can enter a settlement agreement or consent decree that would impose restrictions and requirements on the police department for years to come.

"I strongly believe good officers do not want to work in systems that allow bad practices," Garland said. "Good officers welcome accountability because accountability is an essential part of building trust with the community and public safety requires trust."

Investigators have already reached out to community members to hear about their experiences with the MPD as well as police officers, according to the AG.

^https://www.fox9.com/news/doj-probe-...r-george-floyd

a good start.

LA went through a similar inquisition after the assault on Rodney King which led to the uncovering of misconduct by the LAPD and the prosecution and convictions of many additional police and LEOs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 11:26 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
a good start.

LA went through a similar inquisition after the assault on Rodney King which led to the uncovering of misconduct by the LAPD and the prosecution and convictions of many additional police and LEOs.
Okay. Sounds good.

And how did that work out for LA? Crime up, down, or same-same in the years following the inquisition? I welcome the investigation, but it shouldn't lead to increased crime due to the police having their hands tied more strongly.

Or maybe the police will just start acting like other government workers, drawing a paycheck and sitting in Zoom meetings all day.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Okay. Sounds good.

And how did that work out for LA? Crime up, down, or same-same in the years following the inquisition? I welcome the investigation, but it shouldn't lead to increased crime due to the police having their hands tied more strongly.

Or maybe the police will just start acting like other government workers, drawing a paycheck and sitting in Zoom meetings all day.
well, the immediate effect, was that arrests of police officers went up

Old 04-21-2021, 11:59 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
I'm thrilled the DOJ wants to look at the MPD and their practices. So what about all these punks committing all these crimes constantly? I get crime alerts through FB and other apps. It's just insane how much actually goes on. What is the DOJ doing about society's vomit?

Considering the amount of criminal activity going on these days, I don't want the cops being on edge about doing their jobs. How about the DOJ investigates the judicial practices that aren't holding the criminals to their actions.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:06 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I'm thrilled the DOJ wants to look at the MPD and their practices. So what about all these punks committing all these crimes constantly? I get crime alerts through FB and other apps. It's just insane how much actually goes on. What is the DOJ doing about society's vomit?

Considering the amount of criminal activity going on these days, I don't want the cops being on edge about doing their jobs. How about the DOJ investigates the judicial practices that aren't holding the criminals to their actions.
Who in their right minds would even want to go into law enforcement anymore. ESPECIALLY, in F'd Up cities like all too many of the ones run by the "progressives".

It is however, the golden time to be a criminal.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:37 PM

853 posts, read 337,201 times
I you don't think the MPD has been a problem department for decades then you have been going through the city with blinders on. I've lived here since 1987 and the police have been out of control the whole time. It is a bad cop all star team. I don't say that based on things I have seen in the media but on things I have seen with my own eyes. You can't fix crime issues if people don't trust the police.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:21 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
I you don't think the MPD has been a problem department for decades then you have been going through the city with blinders on. I've lived here since 1987 and the police have been out of control the whole time. It is a bad cop all star team. I don't say that based on things I have seen in the media but on things I have seen with my own eyes. You can't fix crime issues if people don't trust the police.
A friend of mine brought a car from dealership he worked at to a bar in Mpls he often visits. The owner of said bar asked to take it out for test drive, which friend allowed. (The car retailed when this happed for $200k) Bar owner was going over 100 down a main popular street. He got pulled over and he knew the cop. The cop rode with him after and they got up to 150 mph in residential area. Friend wasn’t too happy about how long he went on said test drive....

Old 04-21-2021, 07:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
Great. Maybe they’ll take note of their awful funding and help them out there.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:26 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,231 times
Will DOJ be able to tell you, when wad the last day that has gone by without at least one shooting and one carjacking? Ellison? BLM? Bueler?

Old 04-23-2021, 09:23 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Time and statistics have proved this is a faulty method and will not only weed out the bad apples but also the good ones. Crime will increase as it always does after this kind of situation.

Remember taxpayers are already paying to have private protection for the elite who are making these poor decisions for you.

The warning signs are there Is anyone woke enough to read them correctly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: