Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 01:19 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times

Advertisements

Thinking of visiting Minnesota this summer. Not planning to spend much time in Minneapolis other than Mall of America. Mostly wanted to do an outdoor trip, visit Fargo to claim "North Dakota" and maybe spend some time on Lake Superior.

Some of my travel party are very concerned about crime in Minnesota and think anything in Minneapolis or Duluth is unsafe. I'm from Houston, TX so I don't think it's worse than that but I'm not familiar with Minnesota at all. Wanted a break from the heat and see some good scenery, as well as popping into North Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 02:12 PM

701 posts, read 1,709,199 times
Sounds like you plan to cover a lot of ground! You'll be fine as long as you use common sense. Doesn't sound like you'll be hanging out anywhere risky or in the wee hours of the morning. Don't leave valuables in your car--and lock it.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:46 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Thinking of visiting Minnesota this summer. Not planning to spend much time in Minneapolis other than Mall of America. Mostly wanted to do an outdoor trip, visit Fargo to claim "North Dakota" and maybe spend some time on Lake Superior.

Some of my travel party are very concerned about crime in Minnesota and think anything in Minneapolis or Duluth is unsafe. I'm from Houston, TX so I don't think it's worse than that but I'm not familiar with Minnesota at all. Wanted a break from the heat and see some good scenery, as well as popping into North Dakota.
You’ll be fine. Enjoy your visit.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:17 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Don't waste your time on the mall. It's just a big mall. Most stores are the same as your local mall. You can walk it in a few hours. Sure, it's got some kiddie rides in the mall, and that's unique, but not worth the trip.

I say this as someone who came from FL (for more reasons than the mall) and spent an afternoon there. I didn't even end up buying anything because it just wasn't that different from home.

Old 06-15-2021, 02:06 AM

26 posts, read 33,848 times
Minnesota is very dangerous. It has a violent crime rate lower than all of its neighboring states and 60% that of Texas. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...the-us-states/
Stay safe, stay away.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:11 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times
If you are flying, I’d just visit the mall once you land as it’s next to airport, maybe stay at hotel within it. Mpls isn’t bad, you’d have to go way out of your way to find the areas where something could happen, but every city is that way everywhere.

Fargo is a boring and to me ugly drive to it. The drive from Fargo to Duluth, do the northern most route you can find. North means thick forests and more lakes. You’ll be in the general area of where the Mississippi starts, Itasca state park. Highway 2 is a good route.

My advise is when coming into Duluth via highway 2 is turn right on South Boundary road. Then turn left on Skyline Parkway about a mile down. Skyline is by far the most scenic road we have in state, keep following it as it crosses many roads. It passes a tower on top of a small mtn overlooking the town/bay/lake. Enger Tower is free to use also. The best hotel I’ve found in Duluth is the South Pier Inn as it’s right next to the shipping canal thousand footer ships use and a famous lift bridge next to it. You can toss a rock from the rooms and hit ships, it’s that close. But only book a room on the canal side. I’ve never heard of Duluth being unsafe, it’s a little grungy and people loitering on Superior street, but it’s really nothing.

If you want scenery, take highway 61 up the shore to anywhere. Thick forests, giant lake, rivers and waterfalls, small mountains, tons of lakes. Most of the waterfalls are right next to the highway as it follows the coast to Canada.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:18 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
In general it's pretty safe here. Stay away from Downtown (or anywhere around Downtown) Minneapolis in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanderX View Post
Minnesota is very dangerous. It has a violent crime rate lower than all of its neighboring states and 60% that of Texas. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...the-us-states/
Stay safe, stay away.
Is that true? Hard to imagine Iowa, the Dakotas or even Wisonsin have more murders per year than MN (namely, the TC, which is effectively where 90%+ of all murders occur).

Old 06-15-2021, 09:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 882,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
In general it's pretty safe here. Stay away from Downtown (or anywhere around Downtown) Minneapolis in general.

Is that true? Hard to imagine Iowa, the Dakotas or even Wisonsin have more murders per year than MN (namely, the TC, which is effectively where 90%+ of all murders occur).
He's saying MN has a lower crime rate than neighboring states.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:45 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Stay safe, stay away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
He's saying MN has a lower crime rate than neighboring states.
I know what he's saying, but some times there are nuances to crime rates.

For example, Rbcccl (or whatever her name is) argued that Virginia, MN has a higher crime rate than Minneapolis. But when you look at, say, murder, there have been like 4 murders in 20 years in Virginia, MN, whereas Minneapolis has probably had a thousand murders in the last 20 years.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:48 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Quote:
Stay safe, stay away.
Quote:
ZanderX's source for is for reported violent crime rate, not murders per year.

If you have sources that state something different, post them here for discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul