U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:43 PM

268 posts, read 24,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It's called the internet. People don't need to go to the library any longer, pretty much everything they need is on the internet. Book stores are booming, people buying books vs getting them at the library. Make the library more like a coffee shop and you will see increased use.

I am surprised that the U of M doesn't have a library science program. They did at one time--or maybe one of the other schools offers it--St. Cate's??
Actually, many people are online daily at libraries for various reasons. Oftentimes, there are people waiting to use the 20 available computers at my library. I have returned to the library recently after years of just spending, and have come to love it more than ever. You can take out DVDs, CDs (try them out at no cost, see if you like them, then buy them). It's a damn dirty shame that budgets cut libraries - not everyone has extra money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 04:50 PM

8 posts, read 24,126 times
I lived in Minnesota for 22 years of my 27 years on earth.

Pros:
Change of seasons. If you like all 4 seasons in FULL force. Summers still hit the 90's, 15,000 lakes/beaches...fishing...etc. Spring is GREEN like VERY few states and WET! Falls are like that of out in the West Virginia area, so many trees, so much turnover in colors. And Winters, if you like the Fall/Winter fashions/clothes...it can be fun. Winters offer ice fishing, ice sports, snowmobiling, etc.
Educationally...they are great in the K-12th rankings. Colleges leave a little to be desired for GRAD schools. U of MN is really the only real grad school.

Money/economy. It's a farming state and has 6 or 7 major Fortune 500 companies.

Sports: All major sports. NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB...new ball parks for Minnesota Gophers (football) and Twins (baseball).

Has Winter Skywalk for getting around all the uptown areas so you don't have to be in the cold that much.

Happy hour specials. Some states don't have that. e.g. North Carolina.

Cons:
COLD!! If you don't like winter sports, winter activites, or winter period you WILL NOT LIKE MN. If it bothers you a lot. but otherwise...very educated state as well.

Twin Cities area has the highest per person capita of educated persons with at least a 2 year and 4 year degrees in the US.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,687,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsuphysics View Post
Money/economy. It's a farming state and has 6 or 7 major Fortune 500 companies.
Just FWIW, in 2008 Minnesota had 19 Fortune 500 companies, and 6 in the top 100.

Fortune 500 2008: States - Minnesota

Of course, Northwest Airlines probably doesn't count anymore.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 AM

27,754 posts, read 23,037,022 times
luauelvis, the TC area was rated 19th in the world for quality of life. I don't think you could go wrong there.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 AM

4,933 posts, read 8,718,954 times
Just so you know the original post was from last may. It isn't relevant anymore.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM

514 posts, read 429,615 times
Look seriously at San Diego. The housing prices have dropped dramatically and you have the biggest lake in the world at your doorstep. You can also have better snow experiences in CA. The mountains near LA get much more snow than the TC and with the exception of ice fishing, everything that is fun about snow can be done there, plus you don't have to live in it. And the many ski resorts in the Sierra are world-class. Lake Tahoe far surpasses anything in MN. My wife is from St. Paul and I met her at our church college there. I think MN is a nice Midwestern state and the lakes, including Superior, are an obvious great plus. But Minnesotans are overbearing in their attitude to their sister Midwestern states. There seems to be an almost irrational need to prove that they are first in everything. ie. We have the nicest people, the hardiest people, the smartest people, the best education, the best summers, the best winters, the best autumns, the best forests, the best outdoor opportunities, the best fishing, the best hunting, the best scenery and on and on. The only other place I've experienced this is in when we lived in Texas for a short time. I was raised in NE and we weren't raised that way. We found it extremely off-putting and were only too happy to hightail it out of MN, first to Phoenix and then to San Diego. To each his own.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 PM

17 posts, read 50,607 times
So right about the "first/best" thing. The media in MN tries to find the MN connection to everything, and when there is nice day after days/weeks of no sun, they'll say "this is why we live in MN"!?!?!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 PM

744 posts, read 784,512 times
Its MY FAVORITE state in the US! HANDS-DOWN!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:25 AM

53 posts, read 96,479 times
Minnesota is the best place... for me. A lot of the criticisms of people here and their attitudes towards the state have some truth to them. I certainly love finding the MN connection to anything. I notice when I learn about a national company based in MN.

I think what everyone loves about Minnesota so much is the little bit of everything without going to extremes. Sure, we aren't known for our summers, but It rarely gets unbearably hot. We aren't known for our forests being the biggest, densest, tallest, etc, but they're better than most, and an easy drive from populated areas. The Twin Cities might not be the biggest or most metropolitan, but they offer an extremely wide array of amenities for their geographic footprint. Yes, Florida has better summers. Yes, Reno has better mountains, yes, Cali's got the Ocean, and sure, New England has some great clam chowder. I can't think of any place I've been that's got a better mix of all of them though. If you generally like ALL outdoor activities AND indoor things like arts/sports, there's no place better for me.

I've been all over the country. Both costs, both borders, the Gulf... and pretty much liked everything. I loved New York, could see myself living there for a while. DC was a blast, Chicago is always a good time, San Antonio is beautiful downtown, San Fran is overrated but still fun... LA was cool in short stints.... and San Diego was probably my favorite. All of those places are great to visit for me, when I want the absolute best of the things they're known for. My day to day life though? I don't need the best of just one thing, I'd rather have "close to the best" of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul