Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 05:22 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Only in America is public transportation seen as a second class way of getting around. An ignorant view of you ask me.
Try riding the bus between downtown Minneapolis and north Minneapolis, after dark, at night, and see if you change your mind about the risk of being a crime victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 11:14 AM

1,345 posts, read 875,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Try riding the bus between downtown Minneapolis and north Minneapolis, after dark, at night, and see if you change your mind about the risk of being a crime victim.
I have. I used to do it all the time but the question was about a subway system which is a much more efficient form of transportation compared to buses.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:41 AM

1,052 posts, read 451,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Only in America is public transportation seen as a second class way of getting around. An ignorant view of you ask me.
Your statement is quite ignorant itself. Only in America? Just go a little bit up north to Canada and you won't see much of a difference - only the largest 3 Canadian cities have decent public transit. Wanna live in Winnipeg and rely on public transit? Good luck trying.

What about Australia? Again, same story. Sydney is just now constructing a proper metro system. Public transit is near non-existent outside the largest few cities.

How about Mexico? outside Mexico City, not really much in the way of metro systems.

Are you noticing a pattern here? Public transit is feasible only in large, dense cities or in small, dense countries like those you have in Europe or the dense parts of Asia along the pacific coast.

Massive, low-density countries by nature are more automobile centric. Of course public transit will be seen as a second-class means of getting around because it usually sucks in such settings. Enough with the absurd generalizations about America.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:49 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,362,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Your statement is quite ignorant itself. Only in America? Just go a little bit up north to Canada and you won't see much of a difference - only the largest 3 Canadian cities have decent public transit. Wanna live in Winnipeg and rely on public transit? Good luck trying.

What about Australia? Again, same story. Sydney is just now constructing a proper metro system. Public transit is near non-existent outside the largest few cities.

How about Mexico? outside Mexico City, not really much in the way of metro systems.

Are you noticing a pattern here? Public transit is feasible only in large, dense cities or in small, dense countries like those you have in Europe or the dense parts of Asia along the pacific coast.

Massive, low-density countries by nature are more automobile centric. Of course public transit will be seen as a second-class means of getting around because it usually sucks in such settings. Enough with the absurd generalizations about America.
Public transportation isn’t limited to rail. Go to any small or medium sized town in Mexico and you will have no problem finding buses, combis, taxis, moto-carts, etc. I’ve never been anywhere in Mexico that didn’t have access to some kind of public transportation.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:07 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Public transportation isn’t limited to rail. Go to any small or medium sized town in Mexico and you will have no problem finding buses, combis, taxis, moto-carts, etc. I’ve never been anywhere in Mexico that didn’t have access to some kind of public transportation.
Most medium sized towns in the US have buses and Ubers now. Doesn't mean they're great for getting around, but they exist. Ditto for Canada.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Most medium sized towns in the US have buses and Ubers now. Doesn't mean they're great for getting around, but they exist. Ditto for Canada.
I’m sure there are objective measures and data to determine access, quality and cost of public transportation between different cities and countries. I would also guess that for the most part the US lags behind most other countries in this area. Personally I have lived in both the US and Mexico and there is no question in my mind that public transportation is far more available and accessible in Mexico than it is in the US, with very few exceptions. I had no car during the time I lived in Mexico and got by just fine. There are only a few places where you can get away with this comfortably in the U.S. (NYC, D.C., Boston, Chicago, S.F.)

Old 12-29-2021, 07:27 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,326 times
A small subway similar to Cleveland could have replaced the current stuck-at-lights Blue & Green lines. LOL the 94 express bus>>>the Green Line. No reason to take a ghetto choo choo if you're traveling between both downtowns or from either downtown to the soccer stadium on Snelling when you have a faster, less trashier alternative. https://www.metrotransit.org/route/94

Old 12-29-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
A small subway similar to Cleveland could have replaced the current stuck-at-lights Blue & Green lines. LOL the 94 express bus>>>the Green Line. No reason to take a ghetto choo choo if you're traveling between both downtowns or from either downtown to the soccer stadium on Snelling when you have a faster, less trashier alternative. https://www.metrotransit.org/route/94
This is something I’ve brought up here in the past too. It becomes very evident that our light rail system is slow when you compare it to riding the subway in a major city. I still think it’s an upgrade to riding metro transit buses though.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:05 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,326 times
Quote:
This is something I’ve brought up here in the past too. It becomes very evident that our light rail system is slow when you compare it to riding the subway in a major city. I still think it’s an upgrade to riding metro transit buses though.
Can't consider it an upgrade when you feel safer and less disgusted riding the bus. Having ridden both frequently since I've moved here, the buses are cleaner, in some cases newer fleet(Orange Line), and while there are problems with bumpy rides, riff raff and mentally challenged weirdos, the vibe isn't as negative as the Green Line. Not many crackheads eating pot or "sleeping" on the buses. There's a feeling of the wild wild west on these trains, even during the day. Don't know why they can't add faregates or officers to the stations; Central Station is a mess.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:07 PM

6,534 posts, read 7,115,401 times
Quote:
I’m sure there are objective measures and data to determine access, quality and cost of public transportation between different cities and countries. I would also guess that for the most part the US lags behind most other countries in this area. Personally I have lived in both the US and Mexico and there is no question in my mind that public transportation is far more available and accessible in Mexico than it is in the US, with very few exceptions. I had no car during the time I lived in Mexico and got by just fine. There are only a few places where you can get away with this comfortably in the U.S. (NYC, D.C., Boston, Chicago, S.F.)
Did most people have cars in the towns in Mexico you lived?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul