U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:37 PM

429 posts, read 714,413 times
You can probably find a duplex on the east side of Lake Harriet in your rent range. There are some nice coffee shops and restaurants to walk to but not a lot of traffic and easy to get to places you need to go. I'm thinking somewhere between 46th & 50th, the lake and Nicollet.

From your description, I'd stay away from Uptown--it's more congested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 PM

2,506 posts, read 5,622,053 times
Southwest is quite expensive. I still suggest it, but if you are thinking that it is too expensive look in the area around Lake Nokomis. 5 minutes to the Mall of America, transit to downtown, quiet areas. Major streets have some retail on them, but side streets are purely residential. The east side of the lake has less airport noise, which is by far the biggest drawback to the area as a whole.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 PM

2,654 posts, read 3,450,515 times
eh SW rent isnt as bad as you would think. I have a buddy who rents a house in Linden Hills for $900 for a 2 BR, and most of the properties around there average near the same.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:19 AM

8 posts, read 17,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
Why not St. Paul?
For my boyfriend's job, he will spend his days traveling throughout the MInneapolis suburbs and they want him to live in the area he will be covering. It seems most people prefer Minneapolis to St. Paul anyway.

So we will definitely check out SW Minneapolis. Great advice, thanks so much! Anyone have an opinion on northern Minneapolis? I've heard mixed reviews, but I have a friend that lives in Blaine and she really likes it.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:50 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,238,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by messyjesie View Post
For my boyfriend's job, he will spend his days traveling throughout the MInneapolis suburbs and they want him to live in the area he will be covering. It seems most people prefer Minneapolis to St. Paul anyway.

So we will definitely check out SW Minneapolis. Great advice, thanks so much! Anyone have an opinion on northern Minneapolis? I've heard mixed reviews, but I have a friend that lives in Blaine and she really likes it.
There is a HUGE difference between North Minneapolis and Blaine. I think you might be using town names interchangeably that really aren't. Minneapolis proper is different then any of the Minneapolis Suburbs-which Blaine is one of. If you don't have to live in the city limits of Minneapolis, which is what it sounded like with your first post, I would look to St. Louis Park for someone your age.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 17,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There is a HUGE difference between North Minneapolis and Blaine. I think you might be using town names interchangeably that really aren't. Minneapolis proper is different then any of the Minneapolis Suburbs-which Blaine is one of. If you don't have to live in the city limits of Minneapolis, which is what it sounded like with your first post, I would look to St. Louis Park for someone your age.
Oh man I didn't realize that. Ok that helps a lot. I'll have to have him check on exactly what vicinity we have to stay inside.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:44 PM

125 posts, read 136,345 times
Quote:
I agree with Golfgal- Blaine and North Minneapolis are vastly different. There are some super cool areas of North Minneapolis (Camden, around Victory Memorial Parkway), but I advise against looking in the area if you are not familiar with it, since some of the most crime-ridden areas in the Twin Cities are also in North Minneapolis.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:43 AM

404 posts, read 622,535 times
Quote:

Blaine is anywhere USA. Bland and does not have the lakes. If you want vibe and a cosmopolitan feeling that the SW Mpls ( lakes area) offers, I would avoid the further out suburbs such as Blaine etc.

Also, like others have said on here, the Lake Nokomis area is also nice and would be more affordable than SW. You can find cute starter houses ( if you wanted to buy) for around $130,000 + in that area.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 AM

7,205 posts, read 13,449,763 times
Quote:
For my boyfriend's job, he will spend his days traveling throughout the MInneapolis suburbs and they want him to live in the area he will be covering.
What does he do, if you do not mind me asking.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,337,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
I agree with Golfgal- Blaine and North Minneapolis are vastly different. There are some super cool areas of North Minneapolis (Camden, around Victory Memorial Parkway), but I advise against looking in the area if you are not familiar with it, since some of the most crime-ridden areas in the Twin Cities are also in North Minneapolis.
The same argument could be made about South Minneapolis .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul