Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:30 PM

1,934 posts, read 5,796,831 times

Advertisements

Today we finally made it over to Gilded Salvage Antiques here in the Camden area (they recently relocated from the Northeast) and I kept thinking to myself that I wish we had known about it while we were doing our kitchen renovation in 2007 and looking for historically-appropriate hardware and cabinets.

If you like Restoration Hardware but prefer the real deal, or if you like the ReUse Center but are seeking more high-end/ high-quality items from the late 19th/ early 20th century, check them out. The majority of their inventory is antique hardware, light/ plumbing fixtures, cabinets, built-ins, doors, newel posts, trim, etc. - a lot of it is in very good shape (makes me wonder who would ever get rid of the stuff), and you can find some deals in need of stripping/ refurbishing. The name is actually a little misleading as it's more of a salvaged building materials place as opposed to an antique store, but they do have a number of knick-knacks, some chairs and other items you see in traditional antique places as well (and the website's catalog doesn't really do their inventory justice).

Just thought that there might be others out there living in older homes (they have a lot of bungalow-style/ arts & crafts items) that might want to know where to find some of these items here in the Metro area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 12:42 PM

701 posts, read 1,698,600 times
When I read the thread title I thought you were looking for a place--and was going to recommend Guilded Salvage. Where are they located now?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:07 PM

871 posts, read 1,081,190 times
Default And also

City Salvage in Northeast Minneapolis is super cool as well-

City Salvage - Architectural Salvage & Antiques: Lighting, Furniture, Stained Glass, Mantles & Millwork, Plumbing Features, Antiques & Collectibles, Retro, etc.

Lastly, I don't think Architectural Antiques is terribly far from Gilded Salvage, either. I'm not doing any remodelling at the moment, but I get this feeling of sheer bliss every time I walk through this place and just look at things:
ARCHITECTURAL ANTIQUES the original

Old 09-07-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraMN View Post
When I read the thread title I thought you were looking for a place--and was going to recommend Guilded Salvage. Where are they located now?
4430 Lyndale Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN, 55412, 612-789-1680.

If you are on 94 W (coming from the south/ east), take the Dowling Ave N exit, take a right on Lyndale, and it will be up on the right in an old manufacturing facility. If you are coming from the North/ west, get off on the 53rd/ 49th ave exit from 94, go straight at 53rd and it will turn to Lyndale Ave N and be on the left.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
City Salvage in Northeast Minneapolis is super cool as well-

City Salvage - Architectural Salvage & Antiques: Lighting, Furniture, Stained Glass, Mantles & Millwork, Plumbing Features, Antiques & Collectibles, Retro, etc.

Lastly, I don't think Architectural Antiques is terribly far from Gilded Salvage, either. I'm not doing any remodelling at the moment, but I get this feeling of sheer bliss every time I walk through this place and just look at things:
ARCHITECTURAL ANTIQUES the original
Thanks for posting that Theodosius (fyi I wasn't able to rep you w/out spreading it around first) - I knew there were other salvage places around but never knew any specifics on them or where they were at- it's nice to know that they're all in the North/ Northeast corridor so it'd be easy to make a day of it if you had something really specific you needed to find (but I'm now a little more worried about how much money I could end up impulsively spending on some of our future renovation/ restoration needs).

Old 09-08-2008, 11:16 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,277,938 times
Alot of that retro stuff is really cool. If I had alot of money to throw around I would definitely add retro fixtures wherever possible.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
There was a place downtown (Mpls) we went to a couple years ago, but I don't remember the name (I think it had the word "architectural" in it). It was on Washington Ave. at about Portland. Lots of cool stuff, but very expensive! I joked to my wife we should take our house apart and sell the pieces. If we got the prices these guys get for their stuff, we could retire!

Old 09-09-2008, 05:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,073,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
There was a place downtown (Mpls) we went to a couple years ago, but I don't remember the name (I think it had the word "architectural" in it). It was on Washington Ave. at about Portland. Lots of cool stuff, but very expensive! I joked to my wife we should take our house apart and sell the pieces. If we got the prices these guys get for their stuff, we could retire!
If it is the same place, they had a shop in Stillwater for a while and they were VERY expensive. We went to one place many years ago, it was in a warehouse somewhere in Minneapolis--helpful I know. They had very reasonable prices then. There is also a salvage lot in one of the northern suburbs that carries a wide variety of hardwood flooring. My sister has 100 year old maple in her house that they got there, paid $800 and it covers their foyer, living room, kitchen and breakfast nook.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:39 AM

250 posts, read 987,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If it is the same place, they had a shop in Stillwater for a while and they were VERY expensive. We went to one place many years ago, it was in a warehouse somewhere in Minneapolis--helpful I know. They had very reasonable prices then. There is also a salvage lot in one of the northern suburbs that carries a wide variety of hardwood flooring. My sister has 100 year old maple in her house that they got there, paid $800 and it covers their foyer, living room, kitchen and breakfast nook.
Could you be referring to "City Salvage" in Minneapolis? I know it was already mentioned. But it's the only one in a warehouse I can think of.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:08 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,530,612 times
There is also Bauer Bros., on about 22d and Washington. That is the most warehousey warehouse I think I have ever seen. Their prices are more reasonable too. City Salvage (Is that the one near Hennepin and Central?) spends alot of money on rent so that their showroom is all neat and organized. Bauer Bros. just dumps stuff on their floor. You gotta love the hands-on building experience there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul