U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:03 PM

989 posts, read 1,891,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMaster View Post
What is the coldest it ever gets?
Record low for Minneapolis is -41 F
Record low for the state is -60 F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:24 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,635,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Record low for Minneapolis is -41 F
Record low for the state is -60 F
While true, temperatures below -20 F are relatively rare in the Twin Cities. I suspect that it doesn't even get that cold once during some winter seasons.

On the flip side, occasionally a year will have a stretch in January where the temp will remain below 0 degrees F for several days. I guess in 1936 the temp was below zero on 36 consecutive days. Salt on the roads doesn't work very well in those conditions (it might as well be sand).

Here are some interesting Twin Cities weather tidbits:

http://climate.umn.edu/doc/twin_cities/alltimet.htm

Old 09-24-2008, 08:12 PM

229 posts, read 437,008 times
Zero F is still fairly cold...

Old 09-25-2008, 10:28 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,635,288 times
Quote:
Zero F is still fairly cold...
Yes, it is. If you've been in -20 F for a while, though, 0 F *will* feel warmer, and 30 F will feel like tee shirt weather.

We don't see temps like that here in Atlanta at all (well, the all-time record low here is -8 F or something, I guess, but it only got down to around 15 degrees F this past winter).

Old 09-25-2008, 10:56 AM

989 posts, read 1,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
While true, temperatures below -20 F are relatively rare in the Twin Cities. I suspect that it doesn't even get that cold once during some winter seasons.

On the flip side, occasionally a year will have a stretch in January where the temp will remain below 0 degrees F for several days. I guess in 1936 the temp was below zero on 36 consecutive days. Salt on the roads doesn't work very well in those conditions (it might as well be sand).

Here are some interesting Twin Cities weather tidbits:

Reference Temp and Precip Variations
Seems we get a strech of cold weather every year between late december and middle of Feb. Never know exactly when it is comming or how long it will stick around. Prety sure last year we were down to -18 or so for at least 3 or 4 days. I remember it because I did have to plug in my truck to get it running. I would agree that -20 is fairly rare in Minneapolis, but almost every year we get down to -10 for a least a couple days.

15 degrees is the majic temp where I need to grab the hat and gloves if I am going to be outside more than a 14-20 minutes.

Back to the original topic. Unless you have a big v8, block heaters are really needed down to -20 or so. Fuel injection has been pretty much standard since early 90's so unless your car is at least 15 years old, or has big motor, or you run a diesel, you are good.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:55 PM

229 posts, read 437,008 times
So if your car has a diesel engine, you need a block heater?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:00 AM

960 posts, read 2,636,498 times
Quote:
So if your car has a diesel engine, you need a block heater?
Nope. You have glowplugs.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:03 PM

7,504 posts, read 14,634,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Nope. You have glowplugs.
Yes, there are glowplugs, but my experience is that with a diesel you want the heater if you are parking outside overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul