U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-02-2008, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 22,181 times
Default leaving home for three months in winter -winterizing

I need to keep my town house vacant for three months (Oct 1st to Dec/Jan end) as I will be out of town for job related work. I do not have anyone to look after the home for heating failures etc.

One of my friend mentioned that I have to winterize the house before leaving in wither.
My questions are

1. Is it possible to winterize town home
2. Are there any agencies that do winterizing
3. How much typically it would cost me.
3. Any other alternatives to winterizing

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 05:05 PM

20,798 posts, read 31,338,303 times
Turn your furnace down to 55 but not off. Turn off your water. Have someone check your house while you are gone. There are companies that will keep an eye on your house for you for a fee. Any chance you can find someone to house sit while you are gone--college prof on sabbatical maybe?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:25 PM

250 posts, read 626,937 times
Not only should you turn off the water, you should bleed the pipes and make sure the exterior water valves are drained and off.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 PM

30 posts, read 143,922 times
i do agree that turning your furnace down to 55 degrees is correct. living in a town house there is probably an association. talk to them if there is, to keep an eye on it. it is better for them since they have a vested interest in the property also. my worry is more of theft or worse. draining water is not nessasary unless you plan to shut off your heat and water heater. So i would turn down the water heater and furnace and get a good security system. they can have systems built into them that keep track of inside temp of house. and if it drops below degree set it can notify someone.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:27 AM

3 posts, read 22,181 times
golfgal, Sarah Maske, arvid1985

Thanks a lot for all your responses and suggestion!.

golfgal: I do not have any one to check it for me regularly. I would prefer to pay a fee to look after during my absence.
I am searching for companies that keep an eye on my house. If you know of any companies please let me know. I appreciate that.

Sarah Maske: thanks, i will make sure the exterior walls are drained and off.

arvid1985: I already talk to my association and the manager will be coming back to me with his suggestions after talking to his boss.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,484 times
I would like to know when leaving your home for 6 winter months do I have to empty out my pantry like, flour, sugar, spices, oils, etc, what can I leave or what do I have to remove ?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 AM

753 posts, read 1,158,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys Hill View Post
I would like to know when leaving your home for 6 winter months do I have to empty out my pantry like, flour, sugar, spices, oils, etc, what can I leave or what do I have to remove ?
I'd keep that stuff as long as I keep it normally, just put it in plastic bags or storage containers.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:08 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,544,767 times
Yeah, keep all your cooking products in containers and put bay leaves in with them to prevent bugs. You could also put an ad on Craigslist for a housesitter. Make sure you interview them well too. College kids make good housesitters too (RESPONSIBLE ONES- GRADUATES EVEN). If that doesn't work out, maybe you could even inform the police that you will be gone and they could occasionally check on the place??? If they're willing, of course.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 7,919 times
Another answer to your delema would be to get a reliable house sitter. [mod cut: advertising]

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 12-07-2009 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul