Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 11:55 AM

13 posts, read 44,805 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

We are planning a move to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and would like to know if anyone has any information about good school districts that include special needs children in mainstream classrooms. My 7 year old son has high functioning autism and is currently in a mainstream classroom with supports all day in school. He needs to be mainstreamed because academically he is well above grade level. We need a district with good inclusion practices and understands that autism is a spectrum. Hopkins? St. Louis Park? Mendota Heights? Any information would be greatly appreciated. We also have a 7 year old daughter (his twin) and an 8 month old. We are looking forward to our move to the Twin Cities!

Thanks! Elise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:34 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseinNY View Post
Hi everyone!

We are planning a move to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and would like to know if anyone has any information about good school districts that include special needs children in mainstream classrooms. My 7 year old son has high functioning autism and is currently in a mainstream classroom with supports all day in school. He needs to be mainstreamed because academically he is well above grade level. We need a district with good inclusion practices and understands that autism is a spectrum. Hopkins? St. Louis Park? Mendota Heights? Any information would be greatly appreciated. We also have a 7 year old daughter (his twin) and an 8 month old. We are looking forward to our move to the Twin Cities!

Thanks! Elise
Check with an organization called PACER. Their whole purpose is to help parents of special needs kids get good educations for their kids in the Twin Cities schools. They probably have a web site.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 10,611 times
Default Best school district?

Hi Elise,

I'm a fairly recent immigrant to Minnesota too and live in the south suburb town of Lakeville. While I can't speak to the school systems in other towns in the area you might want to take a look at Lakeville. Our daughter started school here in 4th grade 5 years ago and has had the opportunity to learn with and assist (Best Buddies after school program) several special needs students over the years. Lakeville is a mostly new town (population ~45K) with a brand new 2nd high school that opened last year. The facilities and teachers are terrific and the education is progressive (I.E. team learning etc).

Here is a link you might find helpful: "http://www.isd194.k12.mn.us/se/

Lakeville town site: "http://www.ci.lakeville.mn.us/

Good luck, hope this helps!

Last edited by Jerseyite; 10-12-2008 at 07:46 PM..

Old 10-12-2008, 09:29 PM

177 posts, read 815,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseinNY View Post
Hi everyone!

Thanks! Elise
Hi Elise,

We are in District 196 (Apple Valley, Rosemount, Eagan) and have both our ASD kids ( aged 8 and 6) mainstreamed for part of the day and for the other part they are in the special classes for English and Math. They get social skills training every day too. We are happy with the services they are receiving so far.

Mumof3

Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Check with an organization called PACER. Their whole purpose is to help parents of special needs kids get good educations for their kids in the Twin Cities schools. They probably have a web site.
www.pacer.org

Old 01-16-2009, 12:47 PM

15 posts, read 51,644 times
I've heard that Eden Prairie is a good place for autistic students. In general, the schools in the southwest suburbs are all pretty good -- Eden Prairie, Edina, Minnetonka, Hopkins, St. Louis Park. To the northwest, Wayzata and Osseo are some of the wealthier districts, and they also have a good reputation. To the east, Mahtomedi is supposed to be a great district.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:25 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,623 times
This is sort of an old thread so you've probably made your decision and move, but I thought I'd steer you towards Wayzata schools. Its a very strong district and it's true, they have the funding to put behind special needs programs and staff.

My daughter is a 1st grader in the Wayzata school district. Her particular school just completed an addition that, from my understanding, will be used primarily for special needs children and is equipped with the space and extra features not available before the expansion. The children are part of the classroom but also spend time in this area...I can't add much more since we're new to the district and have simply taken part in a guided tour of the area.

There is only one child in her particular classroom who is part of the "STEP program" I believe it's called. Despite moving between the two areas it seems this boy is as part of the classroom as any other child, at least from what I can tell when I visit and from what my daughter says. They've also given the opportunity to students to visit with a special needs friend during the school day occasionally. My daughter tells me everyone in her class has taken a turn spending time with him & that the boy's aide is the one who chooses who and when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul