U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 AM

20,805 posts, read 29,332,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
It should be easier. In a state where one can vouch for their neighbor at the polling booth one's word should be enough for a library card.
Yes but that neighbor has to prove their identity before they can vouch for you. You can't just walk into a place and say we live on x street next to each other-one person has to show ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yeah yeah I'll probably update it on Thursday. I don't think any non-verified website should be used but the City of Minneapolis website is pretty reliable.
That website isn't real time. You could have moved from that Minneapolis address to your Anoka address on your license and how would they know. Not all people are honest. Besides, didn't you live in Eagan before Minneapolis and you didn't change your license for that either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
It still bugs me that you can't get your vehicle tags and DL at the same place. They seem related... at least to me.
We can do our license tabs and driver's license renewals at the license bureau near us. You can't do that at the state places but the private ones you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 07:00 AM

4,926 posts, read 8,156,811 times
Thanks for keeping track Golfgal. Eagan was just a temporary address while I was settling into a new job and looking for a permanent place to live. I kept getting my mail sent to the Ramsey address and paid rent in Eagan on a month to month basis with no real intention of staying for more than a year. I also lived in Mexico for a year but I didn't change my license to say I lived in Cuernavaca, Mexico. Should have I?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:36 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,343,902 times
Slig, I can totally understand your gripe - and I think the "law" that you have to get your DL/ state ID address changed within 30 days of moving to a new location is a little ridiculous. And it's always funny when places aren't willing to take your word for it when you try to show them how to find proof/ evidence because it would go against the rules, especially in something minor like a library card.

Maybe we should turn this into a "rants/ vents" thread - or post a new thread for it, for those times when people need to spout off about something. I've got one...

Last week I was at the Guthrie, and after an hour 1/2 of the show that I was at, I really needed a cigarette at intermission. I had no idea how to get back down to the main floor/ lobby without a guide (and that stupid huge escalator isn't marked very well, and you can't take the elevator down??) but remembered how to get out to the balcony from the last time we were there. When I got to the balcony, I pulled out a cigarette, and a gentleman - I'm not sure if he was Guthrie staff (we've witnessed Guthrie staff be very rude to some other people on past ocassions) or just a vigilante citizen (he was dressed in a sportcoat), spoke up with a loud and pompous "Excuse me" and stared at me, apparently disgusted by what I was about to do. So I said, "I'm sorry, can you not smoke out here?" His response, and I really wish I could capture his tone as it was just obnoxious - "do you see any ashtrays out here?" Annoyed, I just looked around and said "no, I guess I don't" and was about to be on my merry way to get back to the lobby, but the gentleman at this point decided that it was OK to continue his assault on my habit/ lack of awareness of this policy and said "so were you just going to put your butt out on one of the pieces of glass or steel out here? Or maybe on this nice new cement?" Now I was pissed off, and I think he recognized it, as at some point he dropped his little show of ostentation and reverted to mumbling about how there were stickers somewhere on the glass that said no smoking or something or other. Not wanting to get uncivilized at an uppety theatre of all places, I said 'thanks for letting me know' (and another comment to let him know I was displeased with his attitude) and walked away.

I know that by even posting this I am opening myself up to get a whole host of people telling me that that guy was right, what was I thinking, and other assorted smoker-bashing from everyone that feels the need to chime in with their opinions on the topic - which is fine. It's almost become trendy for people to vocally display their distaste for anything relating to tobacco products or the people that use them under the pretense that they are just nobly trying to "help" that person or society as a whole. My only point is, there was no need for his attitude and behavior - I replied with a sincere response to his "excuse me" as I was oblivious to this policy, at no point did I ever light up, and yet he felt the need to obnoxiously carry on in a manner intended to make me feel like a blight to society that I feel was completely inappropriate - I can only hope he was from out of state as it was definitely not Minnesota Nice.

Then it took me well over 5 minutes to figure out how to get back out to the lobby/ street level again. I love modern (or I suppose I should say contemporary/ postmodern) architecture, but I think there are elements of ridiculousness in that building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul