Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 AM

19 posts, read 133,306 times

Advertisements

How about utility cost up there?

If I had an approx. 2000sq ft house w/ 4 people living.

On average what would be a reasonable guess for the cost of

Electricity-
Gas-
Water/Sewer/Trash-

I know it could greatly be dependant on usage, we're moderately energy conscious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 03:20 PM

17 posts, read 71,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naranek View Post

I define "nice" as; you can get through a day without hearing a subwoofer. Many thanks.
My thoughts exactly!

As others have said, the northern suburbs (Coon Rapids, Champlin, Osseo etc) are less expensive than the western, southern, or southeastern areas, and there are buses that run every 10 minutes to downtown Minneapolis. Most of those will drop you off right on Marquette Ave.

The Light Rail is far cheaper than the bus, but if your company offers MetroPass, get it without question. It will save 30-40% off the cost of cash fares or stored value cards.

And yes, definitely try to live within your means. Our country has racked up more than $1 TRILLION in consumer debt (credit cards, car loans) and our national savings rate is negative! Your money will go a lot farther when you don't have high interest bills to pay. Fortunately, the Twin Cities are tops in finances: the average credit score is 710+, well above the national average of 675. The area shares this distinction with Boston and (maybe not by accident) has a similar edication-attainment index.

Beware though; housing is not as affordable in the Twin Cities as it once was, especially for renters (who also have to pay property taxes).

Old 03-03-2007, 07:49 PM

22 posts, read 50,230 times
Default Renters pay property taxes?

RE
Beware though; housing is not as affordable in the Twin Cities as it once was, especially for renters (who also have to pay property taxes).

Do you mean renters pay property taxes in addition to their rent? Or is the amount in the rent?

Old 03-04-2007, 07:46 AM

19 posts, read 133,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Cane View Post
My thoughts exactly!

especially for renters (who also have to pay property taxes).

Explain Please.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:51 AM

156 posts, read 792,136 times
Default Cost of Living Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paint View Post
Hi all. I just got back from the cities this week. I was up for a job interview. It was my first time visiting Minneapolis and even though the temp was around +5-10 deg. I loved it. Not what I expected from a "City". I currently live in South Louisiana.

I had a little time to drive out and scout a little of the burbs, but was wondering what the actual cost of living was up there. I know right off the bat property taxes are the biggest shocker. I pay about $600/yr for a 2000 sq ft house I paid around 150,000 for.

Just from internet research I think I would target Elk River, Lake Minnetonka or Lakeville as areas to look to buy a house. I would want to stay in the 250,000 range for a house.

I've been beating my head against the wall trying to calc cost of living differences. I come up with everything from 5% to 25% increases. What is considered middle class in come in these areas? is $75K/yr going to be enough to sustain a family? It's all very intimidating, and advice from those who live there would be greatly appreciated.
Old Paint,

You may want to check out this website to compare the cost of living in the cities you are considering.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Best of luck to you on your move.

TheLastMove

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 07:10 AM..

Old 03-06-2007, 01:56 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The lightrail only runs from Bloomington to Minneapolis right now. It is SUPER cheep, like $1.50/ride. I looked up the monthly pass price and it is $78. A monthly bus ticket runs around $100 give or take depending on how far out you are. The light rail is VERY, VERY easy, you get on at your stop, get off at your stop. It only goes along one line so no transferring, etc. There are several park and ride lots along the ride so you can park for free and ride into downtown. There are also several express bus lines available where you park for free at a lot and ride the bus from that lot to downtown Minneapolis, probably very near your office, without making other stops. The Metro Transit board makes it very easy for those people who live in the suburbs that work in Minneapolis.
Wow, you mean people are actually using that rail line to commute into downtown? Is it possible to actually find a parking space at the park-and-ride lots or are they jam-packed? What do they charge for the parking? Are there any plans to build additional lines?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:02 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Boy View Post
True we have universal healthcare each month we pay 11% of our salary in national insurance so free it ain't That is on top of regular tax,VAT or sales tax is 17.5%!Most companies here now give management grade and above healthcare and guess what the tax man then taxes you on it as its seen as a benefit in kind so you pay your tax rate on that figure.
Consequently, do you hear talk about how people would like to start their own businesses or change jobs but decide not to because they are afraid of losing their health insurace? It's an issue here in the States where the prospect of losing your health insurance creates a large barrier to changing jobs or to opening your own business.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Consequently, do you hear talk about how people would like to start their own businesses or change jobs but decide not to because they are afraid of losing their health insurace? It's an issue here in the States where the prospect of losing your health insurance creates a large barrier to changing jobs or to opening your own business.
There are other options out there besides employer sponsored health insurance so if someone wanted to start their own business you could buy an individual or family plan.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 35,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Cane View Post
My thoughts exactly!

As others have said, the northern suburbs (Coon Rapids, Champlin, Osseo etc) are less expensive than the western, southern, or southeastern areas, and there are buses that run every 10 minutes to downtown Minneapolis. Most of those will drop you off right on Marquette Ave.

The Light Rail is far cheaper than the bus, but if your company offers MetroPass, get it without question. It will save 30-40% off the cost of cash fares or stored value cards.

And yes, definitely try to live within your means. Our country has racked up more than $1 TRILLION in consumer debt (credit cards, car loans) and our national savings rate is negative! Your money will go a lot farther when you don't have high interest bills to pay. Fortunately, the Twin Cities are tops in finances: the average credit score is 710+, well above the national average of 675. The area shares this distinction with Boston and (maybe not by accident) has a similar edication-attainment index.

Paying for land. Huh. Did someone invent the land? Did someone make it in a factory? Did someone have to deliver it? Isn't the idea behind capitalism that we pay someone for services rendered so that we don't make a slave of anyone? If we have to fork over money to someone for something they did nothing to provide us, seems we've made a slave of someone (all of us to one degree or another). Isn't it weird that people are so unphased and indifferent to living in this way? It ought to be shocking and repulsive in a gut level, but instead everyone just goes along with it, like it's just one of facts of life. Odd.

Now see, ya got me started.

But what I was really wanting to know is what the Highland area is like these days. I lived on Hartford, near Edgcumbe (sp?) 27 years ago (gads, time flies) and after moving I heard that the area went down hill. I'm wondering how true that might be. I intend to visit as soon as I'm able, just as a kind of mini-vacation/road trip...

Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,572,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naranek View Post

But what I was really wanting to know is what the Highland area is like these days. I lived on Hartford, near Edgcumbe (sp?) 27 years ago (gads, time flies) and after moving I heard that the area went down hill. I'm wondering how true that might be. I intend to visit as soon as I'm able, just as a kind of mini-vacation/road trip...
Highland is lovely these days. I wasn't here 27 years ago, but if Highland has gone downhill then, it must've been incredible back then. Both my kids went to Horace Mann--it is still one of the best schools in the district (measured by test scores), but there are also more choices with the advent of the charter schools.

Hartford & Edgcumbe is a stable, pleasant neighborhood. If it's like the areas of Highland I've lived in, if anything, the houses are better kept, as the area has seen a large influx of young families move in as the older folks have passed on over the past decade or two. You can always tell which houses have been bought by the younger families. They paint, landscape, re-roof, etc. We bought our house from an elderly couple who had lived in it for 35 years. They hadn't done much to the inside or outside for probably 20 years before they sold it to us. They woudn't recognize it if they saw it today. Same goes for most of the other houses on my block. The values have appreciated quite well over the past few years, at higher rates than much of the rest of the Metro.

You may recall Highland has a mix of mansions, all the way to 1500 foot 3 bedroom homes. The last time we saw any home in Highland for an asking price of less than $225k was about 3 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul