Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:28 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,592 times

Advertisements

I would just google for St Paul crime maps and make up my own mind. For a point of comparison, also google for your home town's crime map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 09:01 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,209 times
Seriously, there is no ghetto anywhere in the Twin Cities.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:53 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
What's a ghettto to you? There are areas of high crime, regardless of how you define "ghetto".

Old 02-14-2010, 01:53 AM

Ghetto is a term used to describe an area with multiple extreme features. Extremely high crime, high poverty rates, neglected city streets and sidewalks, people living under horrible conditions, dilapidated buildings/houses, etc..

For an area to be called a "ghetto", because it has a high crime rate, is a drastic jump to conclusions. I once lived in one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the country (although I'm not rich at all), but it was also the most crime-ridden area of the city. Does that make it a "ghetto"?

Old 02-14-2010, 02:07 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Ghetto is a term used to describe an area with multiple extreme features. Extremely high crime, high poverty rates, neglected city streets and sidewalks, people living under horrible conditions, dilapidated buildings/houses, etc..

For an area to be called a "ghetto", because it has a high crime rate, is a drastic jump to conclusions. I once lived in one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the country (although I'm not rich at all), but it was also the most crime-ridden area of the city. Does that make it a "ghetto"?
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Seriously, there is no ghetto anywhere in the Twin Cities.
I agree with this too, there is virtually no ghetto, sure theres rough spots with crime, but there isn't anything that is a real ghetto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WKMNmFsxM

NOW THIS IS A GHETTO, and there isn't anything like that in the twin cities

Old 02-14-2010, 04:17 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
Generally Frogtown (north of the capitol) and the West Side (the part south of the river) are the worst crime-wise. The eastside can be bad, but having grown up there I've come to realize that as long as you don't get involved in crap you won't have many problems. If you want to be in the safest parts, look on the west side of the city south of Selby and north of 35E; generally the neighborhoods of Highland Park, Summit hill, Meriam Park, and Mac-Groveland. That is also where most of the stuff to do and see is located, incidentaly. The area around Lake Como is nice, too. Downtown is kind of boring but generally safe for the most part.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
One of St Paul's problems is that North Minneapolis gets all the attention. People everywhere know to avoid certain areas there. But St Paul's crime hotspots are barely known. The lack of media attention may be a contributing factor in the area's decline and difficulty recovering.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
A "ghetto" is technically a term for enslaved Jews during the holocaust, so there are no ghettos in America, by that definition. I think the OP wanted to know if there were any "rough" areas to watch out for (i.e. "ghetto"), and even though this ain't Detroit, there are plenty of spotty areas in the Twin Cities.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,739 times
The East Side is supposedly pretty bad but I live there and it's mostly elderly people, and lower middle class to middle class families. I've been told by a coworker (who would know) that it's not hard to find drugs around here but honestly, I like my neighborhood. There are parks and stores and I haven't seen or heard too many domestics, assults, etc happening around here. I think in Saint Paul ghetto pretty much means "where the marijuana is."

If you want a perfect area go slightly east to Woodbury. Although, even though its one of the more affluent neighborhoods, I bet its easier to find drugs there than in Saint Paul proper. Too many upper middle class kids with absent parents and nothing to do.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 AM

Marijuana isn't a drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul