U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 AM

308 posts, read 274,958 times
Quote:
Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now?
Plymouth, MN

Quote:
Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why?
Portland, OR.
PDX has better winters and summers are not as hot, better quality of life, less conservative people, and I always loved the beatiful Pacific Northwest.

Quote:
Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota?
1) the winter
2) the people
3) the endless farmlands
4) MN state fair rednecks

Quote:
Question 4. What will you miss most about minnesota?
1) friends and family
2) lakes
3) downtown Mpls
4) Minnesota Wild games
5) excellent concert venues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 AM

26 posts, read 49,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Are you settled in Dayton?
We just moved here last week. We are not yet in Oakwood because our house in MN just sold, and I was not going to look until we had the money from the sale. I start my house hunt this week.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM

833 posts, read 598,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Of Oz View Post
Everytime winter comes around, I can't help get the feeling of wanting to abandon ship. Minnesota is beautiful, 6 months out of the year... but I feel like I'm wasting half my life by justifying this statement. Like everyone else, when it's cold out - I spend my days inside watching television, reading, on the internet, etc. (winter activities are well, cold and boring for the most part and I don't enjoy being outside in negative ten degree weather)

I'm thinking florida, as I spent some time there a couple summers back and loved it. (never experienced a hurricane, but I'm pretty sure I slept through one of their "tropical storms") besides, I love wind, rain, and thunderstorms as well as hot weather, and an ocean always nearby so I think florida sounds perfect! Not to mention, they're finally a blue state.

Anyways, I saw something like this posted on another states forum, and found it interesting. so Here goes...

Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now?

Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why?

Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota?

Question 4. What will you miss most about minnesota?

And a survey for those that already left minnesota...

Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota?

rural central MN
Question 2. Where did you move to? and why?
northern Arkansas ( the Ozarks )
Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota?
Abundance of beautifull dairy farms in central MN and abundance of lakes
Question 4. What do you miss the least?
winters ( especially snow )

Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 AM

833 posts, read 598,884 times
A few other things I don't miss.............

#1-----------a liberal governor who said " no, I would not" as a candidate and then did shut down state government after elected.
#2-----------left leaning newspapers like the Minneapolis Trib and the St Cloud Times

#3-----------high real estate taxes and constant school levy referendums to raise them even higher

Old 08-08-2012, 11:17 PM

Default In Dayton

Quote:
Are you settled in Dayton?
We have been in Dayton a month, and I already do not miss MN. We opteed not to live in Oakwood b/c of high taxes (7k-9k in our price range). Most homes were built. btwn 1920 and 1950 and are on postage stamp lots. We purchased a rambling ranch (2600 ft on main level with a full finished basement) with a brand new kitchen and some updated bathrooms. Newer carpet in basement with hardwood floors in main level. Home was built in 1969 and is on .60 acre. Taxes are 5600 a year. We are still in a very solid school district if we need it. (i do believe MN still has the better public schools, though.) We paid 225,000. Home is located across the street from a country club golf course. We took a bath on the home we bought in Mahtomedi in 2006 so this helps. my son's Catholic school tuition is almost $1000 less and is on the Univ. of Dayton campus. I love the synergy with their School of Education. My husband's salary is going much further already.

I love being closer to home in Indianapolis. I have met so many very welcoming people. A friend of a friend of a friend invited us to dinner in our first week. Her husband gets tix to the Dayton Dragons through his company and has given us tix and a parking pass for two games. The Dragons are the Reds' Class A farm team. The kids are all between 18 and 22, and it is an entertaining and AFFORDABLE evening. The mascots Gem and Heater are awesome! I have met a woman at our apartment complex who kindly invited my sons to her church's Vacation Bible School for the week. I never had an invitation or kindness extended to me by a native Minnesotan so I am not missing MN after experiencing this in my first 4 weeks. I do think it is a upper Midwest/Lower Midwest thing. My personality just does not mesh with the Northerners. I will miss the cold winters, thiugh

That being said, Dayton has really taken it to the chin the past few years. NCR which had been here 125 years left for Atlanta. GM is gone. Wright-Pat Air Force Base and the Univ. of Dayton are the two bright spots along with a couple of hospitals and some medical device. I would never move here withiut a job. That said, city leaders are trying to attract business to the area. Your money goes a lot fuether, and you are close to Indy, Columbus and Cincy if you need something to do. I have young kids so Bar hopping is not big on my list. This seems to be a good move for our family so far, and admittedly, it has not been that long.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:03 AM

240 posts, read 297,799 times
I would actually like to stay here, but its increasingly likely I'll be getting an offer out-of-state.

Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now? - Crystal

Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why? - Anywhere that will offer a good paying job for a recent law grad.

Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota? - Four law schools in an area that can really only support one.

Question 4. What will you miss most about minnesota? - Walleye, "Minnesota Nice," big metro amenities.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 PM

4,077 posts, read 2,550,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish40 View Post
We have been in Dayton a month, and I already do not miss MN. We opteed not to live in Oakwood b/c of high taxes (7k-9k in our price range). Most homes were built. btwn 1920 and 1950 and are on postage stamp lots. We purchased a rambling ranch (2600 ft on main level with a full finished basement) with a brand new kitchen and some updated bathrooms. Newer carpet in basement with hardwood floors in main level. Home was built in 1969 and is on .60 acre. Taxes are 5600 a year. We are still in a very solid school district if we need it. (i do believe MN still has the better public schools, though.) We paid 225,000. Home is located across the street from a country club golf course. We took a bath on the home we bought in Mahtomedi in 2006 so this helps. my son's Catholic school tuition is almost $1000 less and is on the Univ. of Dayton campus. I love the synergy with their School of Education. My husband's salary is going much further already.

I love being closer to home in Indianapolis. I have met so many very welcoming people. A friend of a friend of a friend invited us to dinner in our first week. Her husband gets tix to the Dayton Dragons through his company and has given us tix and a parking pass for two games. The Dragons are the Reds' Class A farm team. The kids are all between 18 and 22, and it is an entertaining and AFFORDABLE evening. The mascots Gem and Heater are awesome! I have met a woman at our apartment complex who kindly invited my sons to her church's Vacation Bible School for the week. I never had an invitation or kindness extended to me by a native Minnesotan so I am not missing MN after experiencing this in my first 4 weeks. I do think it is a upper Midwest/Lower Midwest thing. My personality just does not mesh with the Northerners. I will miss the cold winters, thiugh

That being said, Dayton has really taken it to the chin the past few years. NCR which had been here 125 years left for Atlanta. GM is gone. Wright-Pat Air Force Base and the Univ. of Dayton are the two bright spots along with a couple of hospitals and some medical device. I would never move here withiut a job. That said, city leaders are trying to attract business to the area. Your money goes a lot fuether, and you are close to Indy, Columbus and Cincy if you need something to do. I have young kids so Bar hopping is not big on my list. This seems to be a good move for our family so far, and admittedly, it has not been that long.

Another big Dayton employer, Mead Paper, also moved out several years ago.

What would the property taxes be on your new house in Dayton if it were located back in Minnesota?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Another big Dayton employer, Mead Paper, also moved out several years ago.

What would the property taxes be on your new house in Dayton if it were located back in Minnesota?
It is hard to say . . . I checked and we are living on .70 acre not .60, so more than double the acreage of our home in MN. We also lived in Mahtomedi which I understand is a little pricier. With over 4000 square feet, an older home (1969), and twice the land - I would estimate around 7,000. However, instead of costing us $225,000, we probably would have paid in the low 400's for a similar home in our area. Our mortgage will probably be about $100 or so less than MN.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 AM

1,991 posts, read 2,148,893 times
What in the world is Minnesota Nice?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 PM

9,913 posts, read 13,515,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
What in the world is Minnesota Nice?
Search the forum. It's been discussed many times.

Oh...

Minnesota nice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul