Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:15 AM

5 posts, read 17,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Minnesota Niceness.
I grew up in a place where people were to the point.
It's a cultural thing. I just prefer people who are honest with what is on their mind, and are ok with saying so.
I know what you're saying, and it gets to me sometimes, too. I also agree that it's a (mostly) cultural thing. I don't know if I could have admitted that if I hadn't left the state a couple of times, and made friends from other places.

It's a tough thing to get over/change in a person, though. It took me the first 5 years of marriage - to a guy who grew up in a noisy household with 6 kids in Los Angeles - to totally "get" the fact that when he yelled and argued, and then "acted" like it never happened by about an hour later (while I was still quietly stewing), that he really had gotten over it. His family didn't pull any verbal punches, and he was accustomed to having to speak up to be heard ... he also had to learn to protect his lunch money on the way to school. I'm 55 years old now, and still continue to have to work on finding the fine line between making my wants and points of view known, and (as you said) being rude - especially in my own Norwegian/German/Lutheran (with a little Irish thrown in) family.

I also agree that the whole Minnesota-clique thing is hard to break into: there are those people who get to be in their thirtys, or even later, and they're still hanging out with their high school or college friends. I've seen that up-close-and-personal, as one of my sons is living that life ... though he and his family travel quite a bit, including both around the U.S. and across the pond. On the other hand, I know that there have been out-of-state folks added to their group of friends - neighbors, work-buddies, etc. My other son left Minnesota, went to college and lived in several other states, and settled in Colorado ... though he and his wife are mulling over a move to Seattle in a couple of years. I know that they never want to live in Minnesota again (sigh) due to many of the same reasons that others have stated in this thread.

I'm sorry if I've dragged this thread off of the original subject. Oops - was that a Minnesota-nice closing?

P.S. Living near the ocean is the thing that I miss the most about California, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 05:23 PM

200 posts, read 600,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now?

Harrison Neighborhood, Minneapolis

Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why?

Chicago possibly. Its far enough away that its a welcome change, but close enough that if I want to spend a weekend in the city it wont take forever to come back. Other options include Portland or Seattle.

Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota?

It is something I have just recently began debating. I recently went thru a fairly harsh breakup which essentially split my social network in half and its began to make me realize how closed off and cold a lot of people are to introducing new people into their "circles". Im 28 now and I would rather go out and have fun, and I feel like a lot of people around my age are now getting into the "couples hangout" and "settle down" mode.

What will you miss most about minnesota?

If I move? Family, the city, the parks, nature.

What will you miss least?

Cliques, closed off people.

I can relate to this post. I'm 27 and I agree that it seems that there's a lot of people around here my age and younger that are in a rush to get into a relationship and settle down. I find it alienating. Most of my friends are people like myself, people who are not native to Minnesota. Not that I haven't met many friendly Minnesotans, it just takes time to get into someone's circle of friends, especially when you're talking about people who keep the same friends they've had since high school or earlier.

Anyway, here are my answers...

1/ Right now I live in St Paul.

2/I've been thinking about checking out maybe Toronto or Seattle. I haven't devoted a ton of thought or research to it yet. Wherever it may be, ideally it would be a place where there are decent job opportunities in my field of interest, as well as a healthy amount of educational, cultural and dating opportunities to take advantage of.

3/I get restless...I love to travel and check out new places. Even if Minnesota were the best place ever, I would still want to explore and see what else is out there.

4/I will miss the parks, all the civic minded people, the Twin Cities and all that it offers, my friends...there are actually a lot of things I will miss.

5/I will not miss the passive-aggressive nature of many people here, or the winters.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:32 PM

18 posts, read 51,045 times
Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota?

I lived in White Bear Lake/Mahtomedi, and Rochester for a little while.

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why?

I moved to Southern California (Marina del Rey/Los Angeles). I moved for more of a big city experience and because of the excellent year-round weather.

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota?

My friends and family, traffic (lack thereof)

Question 4. What do you miss the least?

Winter - obviously, haha

Old 12-02-2008, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,282 times
Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota? Minneapolis 'burbs.

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why? We moved to Dallas because my husband couldn't get a teaching job in MN. Also, cost of living is much better in Dallas.

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota? The natural beauty of the landscape and the architecture of St Paul and Minneapolis. Also, First Wok chinese restaurant in Minneapolis .

Question 4. What do you miss the least? The bitter cold. I found the people to be pretty arrogant. It was hard to find good mexican food there too.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:00 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeara View Post
Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota? Minneapolis 'burbs.

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why? We moved to Dallas because my husband couldn't get a teaching job in MN. Also, cost of living is much better in Dallas.

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota? The natural beauty of the landscape and the architecture of St Paul and Minneapolis. Also, First Wok chinese restaurant in Minneapolis .

Question 4. What do you miss the least? The bitter cold. I found the people to be pretty arrogant. It was hard to find good mexican food there too.
Little Tijuana's didn't cut it for you?

Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverjet View Post
Not that I haven't met many friendly Minnesotans, it just takes time to get into someone's circle of friends, especially when you're talking about people who keep the same friends they've had since high school or earlier.
Its actually quite maddening when the discussion tends to revolve around "hey remember the time that...." followed with conversation about things that took place amongst the group. Its almost like people set out to ostracize the outsider. I dont think its with malicious intent or anything though.

I have lived in MN my entire life, and most of my friends tend to be transplants as well. Odd.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:36 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Little Tijuana's didn't cut it for you?
I got cussed out by a bitchy waitress there for stiffing her on a tip because she was horribly rude and gave terrible service.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Never been to Little Tijuana, so far my favorite Mexican places in town are La Poblanita and La Hacienda on E Lake St and Las Ranas on Nicollet and 18th.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:30 PM

Little T's makes Taco Bell look like street food in Guadalajara. Figures -- the place has been there since before there were any Mexicans in Minneapolis. It's not bad food, just decidedly not Mexican. Great for lunch, better for the wee hours of the morning.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
I got cussed out by a bitchy waitress there for stiffing her on a tip because she was horribly rude and gave terrible service.
You didn't even leave her a dime, man? You deserved to get cussed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul