Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:37 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times

Advertisements

Is there alot of vacant buildings,gangs,drugs,homicides,rapes,robberies,ba d schools,little to no resources for the people.I've just never thought of Minneapolis as a ghetto city.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:48 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
The Northside, I should preface, is the part of the city west of the river, and north of the Olson Highway. It is by far the worst part fo the city, but I think the reputation is worse than reality. There are drugs, violence and the likes. Schools are probably the worst. There aren't urban prairies like Detroit of Cleveland. You can go to the city website to look at crime stats. Some parts are worse than others and neighborhoods have an affinity for changing by the blocks. The far northside is better than the near side. There is a fairly decent area around the Victory Memorial Parkway. My grandfather graduated from North High when the neighborhood was filled with alot of Jewish families who unfortunately moved into the suburbs. Hope this helped.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:59 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,170 times
Nothing at all like Detroit actually. I used to live in Detroit and now I live in Minneapolis. There is no comparison, North Minneapolis is like the garden of Eden compared to Detroit.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Is there alot of vacant buildings,gangs,drugs,homicides,rapes,robberies,ba d schools,little to no resources for the people.
That's actually a pretty accurate description right there.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:49 PM

117 posts, read 377,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That's actually a pretty accurate description right there.
I am just curious if Slig has been anywhere outside of Iowa and Minnesota?

It Seems that Every single post is about murders in Minneapolis. Are you not concerned at all about the fact that all these young men are killing each other over nothing? I am not trying to call you out, but man come on. These victims of crimes may just be numbers to you, but number 5 happened to be an acquaintance of mine and a really close friend to my best friend up here.

As far as your view on North Mpls, have you ever actually walked any of the neighborhoods there, or just simply speed through in your car?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM

The fact that they are killing each other over nothing is another reason why he probably doesn't need to be concerned about it. They are killing "each other" There is nothing he can do about it, it's there choice, if you don't want to die that way, then don't play the game. I think slig. like most people is probably more concerned with not dying in a car accident or of obesity, or one of the myriad of other things that are MUCH more likely to happen to him than getting shot by some punk in Minnesota.

Last edited by golfgal; 02-28-2007 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: removed a racial slur

Old 02-27-2007, 10:46 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurls View Post
I am just curious if Slig has been anywhere outside of Iowa and Minnesota?

It Seems that Every single post is about murders in Minneapolis. Are you not concerned at all about the fact that all these young men are killing each other over nothing? I am not trying to call you out, but man come on. These victims of crimes may just be numbers to you, but number 5 happened to be an acquaintance of mine and a really close friend to my best friend up here.

As far as your view on North Mpls, have you ever actually walked any of the neighborhoods there, or just simply speed through in your car?
If I wasn't concerned about the murders I wouldn't be constantly posting about them. The northside is a wasteland, which is too bad since that is pretty much the only place in the metro area where I'd be able to afford a house. I've looked at several properties there and actually used to work right off the Broadway/94 exit, so I know the area. The sad thing is it doesn't really surprise me at all on the crime in that area. After all, that is typically what happens when 65% of the people living in an area of town are absolute scum. I suppose they have to go somewhere though, right? They can all live in Edina for all I care. I'd be able to buy a house in the city then and not have to worry about vandalism and getting jacked while walking home from the grocery store.

I'm just as sick of the degenerates living there as everyone else. While managing a drugstore in Plymouth I would have to deal with these northside stragglers getting off the bus and robbing the store. They would take things off the shelf and then try to return them without a receipt. Before I started cracking down on it I must've seen the zipcode 55411 written as the person's address 20 times. These people are theives, they pose as homeless people on the highways to get handouts even though they have government paid section 8 housing, they continuously abuse our social programs like social security, welfare, medical assistance. They flood the city with drugs, prostitution, larcency, robberies, rape and assault. North High School is a disaster and even city officials have said the best thing to do would be to burn the place down. North Side is a frickin mess, what else do you want me to say? I have been obsessively studying crime reports from the area for the last two years. I have scoured the newspapers and investigated the area block by block. Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of good citizens in those neighborhoods but I'm sure they are also plenty sick of all the riffraff plaguing the area. My advice to the Minneapolis mayor, kick all those people into St. Paul and rebuild.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:51 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times
Default Denial about Minneapolis amazingly high violent crime epidemic, Rybak in denial most

How many violent crimes were report in Minneapolis in 2006?

I cant find statistics except by quarter and by neighborhood??? Wonder whats going on, why arent there easily available statistics.

Why are they dancing around dividing everything up, instead of showing a city wide compiled report for 2006? Hmmm, strange

It looks Rybak and Minneapolis police are in denial about the sorry state of affairs when it comes to the violent crime rate.

Didnt Rybak say that Minneapolis was turning into a mediocre city, well I guess a quarter of it now is an outright mess thanks to his failed leadership and the failed leadership of the Minneapolis police department. Minneapolis has some good attributes and great areas, but if this continues with the dismissive its not that bad mentality Minneapoolis will be a national laughing stock because of its high violent crime rate.

Its not normal for 6 people to get murdered in a month over a several square block area of a city, especially not for a city of only 375,000 people

Old 03-04-2007, 10:23 AM

MattDen. Minneapolis will never be the laughing stock of the nation because of its violent crime rate. First, a high violent crime rate is not something to laugh at, second, Minneapolis does not really have that high of a violent crime rate. There are many cities that are MUCH MUCH worse than Minneapolis. Minneapolis will never come anywhere close to those cities as far as violent crime rate, so that is not something that we need to worry about. Amazingly high???? Compared to where?? Yes you can find many cities with lower crime rates, but to call Minneapolis' crime rate amazingly high, is kind of an amazing statement.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:05 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
y'know honestly I dont care so much about the numbers or raw data..or even the rationalizations that some people make. Sure, some of the people who end up getting killed were doing something they probably shouldnt have whether its hustling or otherwise but they still got parents and families. Just because you do something dumb doesn't justify someone killing you.

Part of the problem is just that though. People rationalize it. The assumption is that most of the Northside residents who get killed get killed because they did something where another party felt ending their life was justified.

Now, in the worst of the worst areas of the north, its hard to pinpoint exactly what the cause of it all is. If there was a simple explanation, surely there would be a simple solution. Take for example the Harrison neighborhood. Its easily one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city, yet it doesnt see the same crime as the Jordan neighborhood does. Granted, Harrison is far from a "perfect" neighborhood but I would not feel unsafe living or spending time there. Many of the write off explanations are high numbers of rental property, poverty, etc...but in a lot of ways its a combination of many things. Sadly, I think what causes a neighborhood to turn around is when there is an economic desire to invest into the community. Whether its a business or otherwise, someone decides to invest a sizeable amount of capital into a certain area and suddenly the neighborhood begins to turn around. Granted, the only thing that changes is a relocation process. It just disperses poverty and crime to another area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul