U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:20 PM

769 posts, read 2,034,856 times

Advertisements

Is Brooklyn Center really as crime-ridden as people say it is? I've driven around Zane and Brooklyn Blvd. past midnight and all I saw was a cop car at the local Walgreens. Where is Brookdale Mall? I really want to see this crime everyone is talking about. I currently live in Golden Valley and it is driving me nuts! Old people everywhere. They drive too slow. These old people are driving my blood pressure through the roof. Seriously, I'm too young for this kind of aggravation.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 PM

59,467 posts, read 84,311,182 times
Check these communities out:http://www.city-data.com/city/Lakeview-New-York.html , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeview,_New_York

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ladera...alifornia.html , Ladera Heights, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/ar...hale.html?_r=1

View Park-Windsor Hills, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , http://www.city-data.com/city/View-P...alifornia.html

About PG County, MD:America's wealthiest black country | Ebony | Find Articles at BNET

The Homewood/Flossmoor area of suburban Chicago also has plenty of upper middle class Blacks:Homewood, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , Flossmoor, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

another such suburb of Chicago:Olympia Fields, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

another Long Island community:http://www.city-data.com/city/Wheatl...-New-York.html , Wheatley Heights, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like I said, there are others too and many live in other communities as well.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 PM

501 posts, read 1,766,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Is Brooklyn Center really as crime-ridden as people say it is? I've driven around Zane and Brooklyn Blvd. past midnight and all I saw was a cop car at the local Walgreens. Where is Brookdale Mall? I really want to see this crime everyone is talking about. I currently live in Golden Valley and it is driving me nuts! Old people everywhere. They drive too slow. These old people are driving my blood pressure through the roof. Seriously, I'm too young for this kind of aggravation.
FYI: Zane and Brooklyn Blvd...that's Brooklyn Park.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:31 AM

1,669 posts, read 5,673,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
It all depends on your perspective. It is the highest crime suburb in the Twin Cities metro area. If you compare it to Flint, Mi or East St Louis, IL, it might not seem too bad. If you compare it to Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, or almost any other local Twin Cities suburb, the crime rate there might look ridiculously high.

Brookdale is near Highway 100 and 694.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:34 AM

50,735 posts, read 47,106,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
It all depends on your perspective. It is the highest crime suburb in the Twin Cities metro area. If you compare it to Flint, Mi or East St Louis, IL, it might not seem too bad. If you compare it to Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, or almost any other local Twin Cities suburb, the crime rate there might look ridiculously high.

Brookdale is near Highway 100 and 694.
Perspective can have something to do with it.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:16 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,089,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Check these communities out:http://www.city-data.com/city/Lakeview-New-York.html , Lakeview, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ladera...alifornia.html , Ladera Heights, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/ar...hale.html?_r=1

View Park-Windsor Hills, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , http://www.city-data.com/city/View-P...alifornia.html

About PG County, MD:America's wealthiest black country | Ebony | Find Articles at BNET

The Homewood/Flossmoor area of suburban Chicago also has plenty of upper middle class Blacks:Homewood, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , Flossmoor, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

another such suburb of Chicago:Olympia Fields, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

another Long Island community:http://www.city-data.com/city/Wheatl...-New-York.html , Wheatley Heights, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like I said, there are others too and many live in other communities as well.
ck - I wish I would have found you back in the days of my senior project where I had a need to find and match majority black and majority white ZIP codes (on income level, urban/suburban status, crime risk, etc.) in the same metro areas to perform matched-pair testing/ analysis - one flaw in my study was that the samples too heavily consisted of PG county, greater Atlanta, Chicago, and mid-size cities around the great lakes - I had no idea about those cities in California (and I don't think wikipedia was around in those days) so thanks for posting that. You're right that there are many other places in the country, one that was interesting to me were some of the majority black ZIP codes in Shaker Heights, OH. Also, how many people know that Martha's Vineyard historically has been a summer playground for elite/ wealthy black American families?

MSP doesn't really have anything on a large scale; upper-income black families here tend to live sporadically throughout city and suburban neighborhoods. From what I can tell, the only majority black neighborhood in Minneapolis that has a higher median household income than the city's average is the Bryant neighborhood. However, Regina is 46% african-american (65% persons of color) and displays a median household income substantially above the city average. Of the city of Minneapolis' 81 neighborhoods, from '99/'00 stats I could only find 15 neighborhoods that had both a substantial minority population (>20%) AND median household incomes above the city's average of $37,974 in '99 - these were (in no order) Victory, Shingle Creek, Cleveland, North Loop, Downtown East, King Field, Field, Bryant, Regina, Bancroft, Howe, Northrop, Standish, Wenonah, and Windom.

Despite there being only 4 neighborhoods on that list representing the Northside (3 of which are in Camden), there is a pretty substantial population of black families doing very well in several enclaves of North Minneapolis, much of which is concentrated directly adjacent to the Grand Rounds system (Theo Wirth/ Victory Memorial pkwys). These include the far-western blocks of the Willard-Homewood neighborhood in Near North which has a pretty decent concentration of upper-middle class (and/or wealthy) African American families living in beautiful well-maintained older homes, including a few that would qualify as older mansions by most persons' definitions - Homewood used to be the premier Jewish neighborhood in Minneapolis prior to suburban migration to places like St. Louis Park. But the greater neighborhood itself (and ZIP) is a pretty large geographic area, much of which is fairly economically depressed, so you won't see this reflected in its stats - this is the case with families living in restored victorian mansions in "Old Highland" area of Near North as well.

In Camden - the Victory neighborhood, although in 2000 only 15% black (+'2 or more races'=20%) and 29% persons of color which has likely increased quite a bit considering the 285% increase of African American from 1990 - 2000, is also home to a number of solidly middle and upper-middle class black families living throughout the neighborhood and in awesome homes on the parkway. This can somewhat also be seen around the Cleveland neighborhood - 30% African American/ 49% persons of color. Intersestingly, Cleveland is sandwiched between Willard-Homewood and the Victory n'hood so all 3 n'hoods hug the Grand Rounds system on the western edge of the northside (and Shingle Creek, also on the list of median household incomes>city average, is directly to the north of Victory in the far NWern corner of Mpls).

I'm not as up on middle/ upper-middle class black enclaves in South Minneapolis, but judging from the list of neighborhoods above and some of the #s I saw, there must be a pretty substantial population in some select n'hoods there as well.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 12-13-2008 at 12:30 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 02:36 PM

59,467 posts, read 84,311,182 times
Default Interesting......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
ck - I wish I would have found you back in the days of my senior project where I had a need to find and match majority black and majority white ZIP codes (on income level, urban/suburban status, crime risk, etc.) in the same metro areas to perform matched-pair testing/ analysis - one flaw in my study was that the samples too heavily consisted of PG county, greater Atlanta, Chicago, and mid-size cities around the great lakes - I had no idea about those cities in California (and I don't think wikipedia was around in those days) so thanks for posting that. You're right that there are many other places in the country, one that was interesting to me were some of the majority black ZIP codes in Shaker Heights, OH. Also, how many people know that Martha's Vineyard historically has been a summer playground for elite/ wealthy black American families?

MSP doesn't really have anything on a large scale; upper-income black families here tend to live sporadically throughout city and suburban neighborhoods. From what I can tell, the only majority black neighborhood in Minneapolis that has a higher median household income than the city's average is the Bryant neighborhood. However, Regina is 46% african-american (65% persons of color) and displays a median household income substantially above the city average. Of the city of Minneapolis' 81 neighborhoods, from '99/'00 stats I could only find 15 neighborhoods that had both a substantial minority population (>20%) AND median household incomes above the city's average of $37,974 in '99 - these were (in no order) Victory, Shingle Creek, Cleveland, North Loop, Downtown East, King Field, Field, Bryant, Regina, Bancroft, Howe, Northrop, Standish, Wenonah, and Windom.

Despite there being only 4 neighborhoods on that list representing the Northside (3 of which are in Camden), there is a pretty substantial population of black families doing very well in several enclaves of North Minneapolis, much of which is concentrated directly adjacent to the Grand Rounds system (Theo Wirth/ Victory Memorial pkwys). These include the far-western blocks of the Willard-Homewood neighborhood in Near North which has a pretty decent concentration of upper-middle class (and/or wealthy) African American families living in beautiful well-maintained older homes, including a few that would qualify as older mansions by most persons' definitions - Homewood used to be the premier Jewish neighborhood in Minneapolis prior to suburban migration to places like St. Louis Park. But the greater neighborhood itself (and ZIP) is a pretty large geographic area, much of which is fairly economically depressed, so you won't see this reflected in its stats - this is the case with families living in restored victorian mansions in "Old Highland" area of Near North as well.

In Camden - the Victory neighborhood, although in 2000 only 15% black (+'2 or more races'=20%) and 29% persons of color which has likely increased quite a bit considering the 285% increase of African American from 1990 - 2000, is also home to a number of solidly middle and upper-middle class black families living throughout the neighborhood and in awesome homes on the parkway. This can somewhat also be seen around the Cleveland neighborhood - 30% African American/ 49% persons of color. Intersestingly, Cleveland is sandwiched between Willard-Homewood and the Victory n'hood so all 3 n'hoods hug the Grand Rounds system on the western edge of the northside (and Shingle Creek, also on the list of median household incomes>city average, is directly to the north of Victory in the far NWern corner of Mpls).

I'm not as up on middle/ upper-middle class black enclaves in South Minneapolis, but judging from the list of neighborhoods above and some of the #s I saw, there must be a pretty substantial population in some select n'hoods there as well.
I was seriously thinking about moving to Minneapolis after college, but changed my mind by going into the military. I would have thought that the Brooklyns were pretty much where a lot of the Black middle class lived. I thought many went to school in districts like Osseo, Robbinsdale, Brooklyn Center, Richfield, Bloomington, with some in Eden Prairie, Hopkins and in the Dakota County districts close to St. Paul. I know De La Salle has a very substanial Black student population too.

As for Syracuse, where I'm from, it sounds similar to Minneapolis in that our East side iswhere a lot of the upper middle class Blacks live. They seem to follow the Jews as a co-worker of mine says and that does seem to be the case. the adjacent Eastern suburb of DeWitt has quite a few upper middle Class Blacks and Jews, with some starting to move to the second ring suburbs of Fayetteville and Manlius, which is questionably our most affluent suburb. Same with our Northern subrubs, where I live now. Liverpool has a pretty decent Black population comparably speaking, as does the North Syracuse area. Some of that has to do with the many apartments in that part of our county and the former Air Force presence in North Syracuse. Some live our city's South side, which is like Minneapolis' North side. It's our "Blackest" side of town, but even with that, there are some very poor parts and towards the south suburb of Nedrow in the section we called the Valley, there are some upper middle class Blacks there. There are others scattered around the area too.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,219,299 times
Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park are probably where most middle class black families live. The Willard-Homewood (Willard-Hay, whatever) has an interesting mix of upper middle class black families mixed with some of the poorer families. Its probably the most interesting neighborhood in the city, I think.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM

50,735 posts, read 47,106,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park are probably where most middle class black families live. The Willard-Homewood (Willard-Hay, whatever) has an interesting mix of upper middle class black families mixed with some of the poorer families. Its probably the most interesting neighborhood in the city, I think.

What about everywhere else in the Hennepin and Ramsey County areas?

Old 04-02-2010, 01:52 PM

2,698 posts, read 2,144,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I never knew that. I thought BC was more 70% white. Then again, I got the stats from city-data.com.
Brooklyn Center was 70% Caucasian in the year 2000. Caucasians are a minority in Brooklyn Center now. They'll soon be a minority in Brooklyn Park, too. School districts in both of those suburbs have minority-majorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul