Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 05:52 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,342,894 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am currently an accounting student at St. Louis University who has resided in the St. Louis area my whole life. Having relatives in Cleveland, I have been exposed to Upper Midwestern winter as opposed to the part of the Midwest I grew up in and would like to I guess get so much snow I can't move. I've never been to Minneapolis per se but I have skirted the western half of Southern Minnesota along Interstate 90. I guess I wanted to know more about what Minneapolis has to offer me in terms of me being a future CPA/actuary, as well as I guess the attractions of the city, good places to live...which is the better side of the Mississippi to be on? Minneapolis or St. Paul? What is the overall topography of the city? Is it all flat, or are there some rolling hills and forests as well? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 PM

9,675 posts, read 11,039,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Hi there. I am currently an accounting student at St. Louis University who has resided in the St. Louis area my whole life. Having relatives in Cleveland, I have been exposed to Upper Midwestern winter as opposed to the part of the Midwest I grew up in and would like to I guess get so much snow I can't move. I've never been to Minneapolis per se but I have skirted the western half of Southern Minnesota along Interstate 90. I guess I wanted to know more about what Minneapolis has to offer me in terms of me being a future CPA/actuary, as well as I guess the attractions of the city, good places to live...which is the better side of the Mississippi to be on? Minneapolis or St. Paul? What is the overall topography of the city? Is it all flat, or are there some rolling hills and forests as well? Thanks.

The I90 east west run is all farm land and the Twin Cities area looks and feels a lot different. If you come up 35 North it changes around Burnsville. Minnesota has a lot of job diversity. Meaning, you have high tech, insurance, medical devices, fortune 100 companies like Target and Best Buy, 3M, Honeywell, Medtronic, United Health Care etc. So in summary, positively will be actuarial type positions in the state. I'd expect a plethora of them. Needless to say there are thousands of CPA jobs.

Traffic is TERRIBLE! Especially when one snow flake drops and we forget how to drive. So stay close to where you work or go against traffic.

Glaciers mowed down the mountains and melted for our 10,000 lakes (actually they lied as I think it is closer to 13,000 lakes). Generally the best you can get is rolling hills which is the case around the Minnetonka area. Green?????? We are the poster child of green! If you go farther north for vacation (Brainard area) it is green and beautiful. No stunning would be a better word!

So west of the cities is my personal favorite (Plymouth, Minnetonka) but east is also nice Egan, Woodberry etc. Frankly, you cannot go wrong (IMHO) unless you sellect MPLS or St. Paul. I'm not a fan of these areas because of all of the typical big city problems unless you like those trade-offs.
Steve

Old 12-20-2008, 07:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,093,078 times
I have spent a lot of time in the St. Louis area and live in the metro area. I think the big difference you will find is that the traffic here is much less congested (yes, it really is). The topography of the cities is very similar. The downtown areas are more active but not too much so. I think the architecture of the buildings in downtown St. Louis is superior to Minneapolis or St. Paul but that really doesn't make a difference.

I think you will find that people here are better educated. As for CPA/actuary jobs, they are around, getting one will be difficult but not impossible. Have you considered Wisconsin? Several major insurance companies are headquarted in WI and the job market might be better for an actuary. We do have a couple companies here though.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 AM

394 posts, read 1,514,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have spent a lot of time in the St. Louis area and live in the metro area. I think the big difference you will find is that the traffic here is much less congested (yes, it really is). The topography of the cities is very similar. The downtown areas are more active but not too much so. I think the architecture of the buildings in downtown St. Louis is superior to Minneapolis or St. Paul but that really doesn't make a difference.

I think you will find that people here are better educated. As for CPA/actuary jobs, they are around, getting one will be difficult but not impossible. Have you considered Wisconsin? Several major insurance companies are headquarted in WI and the job market might be better for an actuary. We do have a couple companies here though.
MY buddy just graduated from NDSU w/ CPA and Accounting. He got a job the next day for Excel Energy in Becker.

Jobs are easy to find here. WEll, not now, and probably not until Summer 2010, but theyre not as bad as the rest of the nation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul