Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times

Advertisements

I think the order of "seedy" (note the quotes) areas I would look into would be as follows:

Powderhorn
Camden
Phillips
Near North

I would put Powderhorn over Camden simply because I like hanging out on Lake Street and in Midtown/Longfellow/Seward. If I was looking for a strictly residential setting, I would probably say Camden.

I think the most important thing to do if you are looking is to get a strong feel for the neighborhood. Here's a few things I have done when I have sort of looked about:

1). Research Hennepin County for their property tax records. These are a valuable asset for getting a feel on who lives where. For example, if you're looking on the 36xx block of Newton, also check the 36xx block of Oliver and Morgan so you know who is on both sides of your house. The information provided indicates the date of sale, so you get a feel as far as longevity in the neighborhood. If the tax records are mailed to a secondary address, its a rental. If they have a bank address listed, odds are its foreclosed.

2). Check crime maps for the surrounding blocks going back as far as possible. Obviously this only gives you a picture of the past, but you can get a general feel for if the block is going to be a concern for you. Do not simply search homicides and rapes and say "well, nothing bad has happened here so it shouldnt be a problem!". The block might not be so hot that there is rampant gunfire, but it might have a lot of burglaries that take place.

3). Talk to nearby neighbors. Its best to talk to those who have been around a long time. Get a feel for the area. Older neighbors that have stayed put thru thick and thin are a valuable asset and will keep an eye on the area like hawks. These are the people you want as your next door neighbors.

4). Make a very strong effort to establish relationships with the "good eggs". You'll find you establish a much much stronger bond with neighbors in areas like this than you ever will in most neighborhoods.

5). Get involved in your neighborhood organization, but know your limits. Dont be the guy who is out on the corner shouting at the dealers to get out of their neighborhoods. I would advise against living in a neighborhood thats like an open air drug market in the first place, but dont try to be too much of a hero.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Nick, I take issue with the use of the word "seedy" (even with quotes) and Camden being put together - OK so maybe there are parts where this can be the case, but other parts definitely aren't.

My list would probably read as follows (first choice to last choice):
Camden
Powderhorn
Near North
Phillips

But if I were to break it down by neighborhood, it would probably look something like this (based on some of my own personal preferences re: housing stock):
Victory
tie between areas of Webber Camden/ Cleveland n'hoods
Near North (neighborhood - old Victorian mansions close to downtown)
Willard-Hay - western section
If I were to go South, I would look at Longfellow and Seward, but these would still be behind a few northside/ camden neighborhoods. And there are a lot of Southside n'hoods I admittedly don't know anything about that seem like they might be interesting. Northeast would probably be at the bottom of my list.

I guess one thing I was trying to say in my previous post is that you actually don't need to look in a "rough" neighborhood to find VERY affordable homes that are in safe neighborhoods these days, my own neighborhood is a case in point with this. Actually, here in Victory there are a number of longtime residents that love this neighborhood so much tat they are buying (either individually or in groups with other neighbors) a number of the fixer foreclosures to prevent predatory investors from getting their hands on them (it's coined a new term: "block builders").

Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 PM

54 posts, read 160,223 times
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider
Quote:
And what area of North are you referring to in your generalizations? - please do be more specific - Phillips is a smaller geographic area than all of the northside and you do realize that there are 13 neighborhoods on the northside, correct?
My apologies. Perhaps this is a result of my upbringing. When with my friends, all of whom grew up in the inner city, we have distinct areas mapped out in our heads when we reference South Minneapolis or North Minneapolis. "Southside" Minneapolis means areas close to South High School...near Powderhorn and includes Phillips. Longfellow, Seward, Southwest, Uptown and so on - get referenced in their own right. When referring to "Northside", we are thinking of the parts of North Minneapolis where our friends grew up and bought houses...areas where you can't order delivery because no pizza joints (etc) deliver to your zip code or surrounding area. The other neighborhoods in North Minneapolis, such as the beautifully stunning areas along Victory Memorial or near Theo Wirth, or various other safe and lovely spots...those, like Longfellow and Seward, get referred to by their names. Northside is northside...southside is southside. I've found similar language used by working class folks in East St. Paul and West St. Paul...there are distinct areas/neighborhoods that folks generally understand to be referenced in those titles.

I understand that not everyone grew up with these maps or language, so my apologies for not being more specific. Thanks for calling me out on it.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:30 PM

33 posts, read 78,602 times
theres really no need to overplay the situation.

dont present yourself as a victim and dont show off how nice the interior is. not to say you have to live in a cave. i dont care where you live, leaving the blinds open with a three thousand dollar lap top out on the summer porch is just a bad move.

a friend of mine lives on lake and portland. his only security is the massive malamute he walks around the block (dogs are great). so if you have a garage, good locks, and the luxury of a working security system - you'll be fine.

are you a man? woman? single?

speaking from experience, young fit men are typically not the target when youre looking to get over on someone. even if youre a single woman though - if you can take care of yourself - go for it! just make sure you know what youre doing if youre out at night.

dont let the couch potato news-laden sponges scare you away from the south side. it might just be the best place ive ever been.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM

31 posts, read 167,277 times
Ive said this before and I'll say this again, North Minneapolis is not as bad as the media, and some suburban fools make it seem. People need to actually live here to realize the community here is very strong and very friendly. I'm from West Side Chicago, and I can tell you personally that the BEST day in Chicago's West Side doesn't even compare with the WORST day Ive seen here in North Minneapolis.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfulpup View Post
So let me preface by saying, I'm not trying to start a fight about whether or not areas of town are "ghetto". Nor do I want to get into an economics battle about the housing market or the recession or George Bush or anything. Thank you.

Housing sucks right now, right? Right. That's good for some people though. I'm very fortunate to have a bit of disposable income, and am considering moving into a dirt cheap house in a couple of the "rougher" areas of town. I'd still have a my real place near Apple Valley, I'd just switch between the two. I'd live in it, fix it, sell it in a couple years when things turn around.

Yes, there are muders and shootings in some parts of the area. Rarely (though tragically) are random people killed. Most gang violence stays in gangs. I'm more concerned about burgalry (sp?) and property crime.

So installing some home security system, motion lights outside... those are about it for my ideas for keeping things a bit safer. I'm looking for more ideas or advice. Thanks all!
Carry a gun.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:00 PM

413 posts, read 763,408 times
I have some really good friends who live in Powderhorn, on the southern edge (Bancroft neighborhood). Their street, house and neighborhood is really nice. We hang out there all the time, and they've never had any issues, except for a very short-term issue with a foreclosed house on their block. I wouldn't hesitate to live there, and there are some good deals to be had.

Another good friend of mine lived in Longfellow, just north of Lake (he moved out of state last year). His neighborhood was also pretty nice, with lots of young couples. He did have some car break-in issues, but I didn't have much sympathy for him because he had a garage and never used it. I'd recommend that as well.

I agree with some of the other posters though - if you can find a fixer-upper in Nordeast, and there are some out there - another friend just bought one - that would be the way to go. Same is true for Como in St. Paul, around Hamline University, where another friend just moved. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those neighborhoods.

While the previous poster is correct, nowhere in the Twin Cities is anywhere close to the bad parts of Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Philly etc., I'd stay away from near North just because it will always be hard to make any money flipping a house in some areas. You could be stuck selling contract for deed and ending up with a trashed property, or a bunch of vandalism and bad neighbors.

Just my two cents.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Carmona View Post
Ive said this before and I'll say this again, North Minneapolis is not as bad as the media, and some suburban fools make it seem. People need to actually live here to realize the community here is very strong and very friendly. I'm from West Side Chicago, and I can tell you personally that the BEST day in Chicago's West Side doesn't even compare with the WORST day Ive seen here in North Minneapolis.
I don't disagree that certain parts of Chicago make North Minneapolis look like the Garden of Eden, but I doubt that someone getting robbed at gun point in North Minneapolis are saying to themselves, "glad I don't live in the Chicago's West side, it could be much worse."

North Minneapolis does have a reputation of being crime heavy compared to the rest of the city---and the statistics support that, but if someone want to move into that neighborhood and feels comfortable about it--then I wish them the best of luck

Old 08-11-2011, 06:30 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I don't disagree that certain parts of Chicago make North Minneapolis look like the Garden of Eden, but I doubt that someone getting robbed at gun point in North Minneapolis are saying to themselves, "glad I don't live in the Chicago's West side, it could be much worse."

North Minneapolis does have a reputation of being crime heavy compared to the rest of the city---and the statistics support that, but if someone want to move into that neighborhood and feels comfortable about it--then I wish them the best of luck
Ridiculous. Spoken like yet another TV addicted yahoo that doesn't know what they're talking about. How much time has MNT spent in N Mpls? How many people does the poster know know from there, and how many that have been robbed at gunpoint, there or anywhere else? I live there, know almost everybody on my block, and haven't seen anything of the sort.

I was talking to one of my daughter's pals the other night. She lives in the suburbs, her family's from Ethiopia. Recently one of her suburban neighbors called 911 on her for walking on Neighbor Lady's sidewalk, stepping on the corn that NL had laid down (on said public sidewalk) to feed the squirrels. Suburban Crime Spree - good to see Burnsville's finest earning their donut money! MNT will feel right at home on that block.

Last edited by audadvnc; 08-11-2011 at 06:39 AM..

Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Ridiculous. Spoken like yet another TV addicted yahoo that doesn't know what they're talking about. How much time has MNT spent in N Mpls? How many people does the poster know know from there, and how many that have been robbed at gunpoint, there or anywhere else? I live there, know almost everybody on my block, and haven't seen anything of the sort.

I was talking to one of my daughter's pals the other night. She lives in the suburbs, her family's from Ethiopia. Recently one of her suburban neighbors called 911 on her for walking on Neighbor Lady's sidewalk, stepping on the corn that NL had laid down (on said public sidewalk) to feed the squirrels. Suburban Crime Spree - good to see Burnsville's finest earning their donut money! MNT will feel right at home on that block.
BS-

If your neighborhood is so "safe" why do you have 6 deadbolts on your door???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul