Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,663,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Potential doesn't equal use--only about 267,000 people use the bus system, including those coming in from the suburbs....even in Minneapolis and St. Paul the usage is low--why have it at all then--for the rest of us to subsidize and not be able to use....
I think that's why a lot of suburbs pulled out of the Metro Transit system and formed MVTA, SW Transit, Plymouth Metrolink, the BEE Line, and probably others. They wanted to make sure that their dollars serviced their communities they way they wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,108,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I think that's why a lot of suburbs pulled out of the Metro Transit system and formed MVTA, SW Transit, Plymouth Metrolink, the BEE Line, and probably others. They wanted to make sure that their dollars serviced their communities they way they wanted.
Tax dollars still go to the Metro Transit though.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,134,660 times
at 5 bucks a gallon long distance commute will become a thing of the past.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,643,397 times
Quote:
Potential doesn't equal use--only about 267,000 people use the bus system, including those coming in from the suburbs....even in Minneapolis and St. Paul the usage is low--why have it at all then--for the rest of us to subsidize and not be able to use....
who is stopping you from using Metro Transit? Next time you want to go downtown just take the light rail. Or take any number of other routes that go to places that people want to visit. It might not work for your regular commute, but most people can still find some routes that are useful, even if it's just to avoid driving downtown.

We all pay for lots of stuff that we don't use. That's life. I kind of doubt that Rosemount is entirely self-sufficient and pays its way on everything.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
who is stopping you from using Metro Transit? Next time you want to go downtown just take the light rail. Or take any number of other routes that go to places that people want to visit. It might not work for your regular commute, but most people can still find some routes that are useful, even if it's just to avoid driving downtown.

We all pay for lots of stuff that we don't use. That's life. I kind of doubt that Rosemount is entirely self-sufficient and pays its way on everything.
Well, my commute is from my bedroom to my home office so whatever. Again, for me to take the light rail into Minneapolis it adds an hour on to the trip and doesn't even go where I need it to go so if I took it to my dr's office, which is my most common Minneapolis trip, it would add 2 hours each way with bus transfers. Would you take the bus or rail if it added 4 hours to your day? Doubt it. If I could take the light rail and have it come close to the same as driving, I would in a heartbeat but people like you just don't get it. You whine about the traffic and cars but you certainly aren't supportive of any alternatives now are you?? Why do you even care?? You don't go to the suburbs, we have scary intersections here you know. You can stay in your cocoon and to heck with everyone else

Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Well, my commute is from my bedroom to my home office so whatever. Again, for me to take the light rail into Minneapolis it adds an hour on to the trip and doesn't even go where I need it to go so if I took it to my dr's office, which is my most common Minneapolis trip, it would add 2 hours each way with bus transfers. Would you take the bus or rail if it added 4 hours to your day? Doubt it. If I could take the light rail and have it come close to the same as driving, I would in a heartbeat but people like you just don't get it. You whine about the traffic and cars but you certainly aren't supportive of any alternatives now are you?? Why do you even care?? You don't go to the suburbs, we have scary intersections here you know. You can stay in your cocoon and to heck with everyone else
when again have I whined about traffic? I don't care about traffic! Bring it on -- maybe congestion will mean more support for walkable communities and public transportation. And congestion slows down cars making it less likely that I'll get killed if a bad driver runs into me.

And if I never went to the suburbs, how would I know about those intersections? I clearly DO go to those intersections. I also spend a lot of time reading about traffic and safety studies, as well as actually walking around. Luckily there are many people who live and work in the suburbs who do care about these things, and they are working to make improvements DESPITE those who would rather stick their head in the sand and believe that their community has already reached the pinnacle of perfection. When most parents are afraid to let their kids walk or bike to school (as is the case in Rosemount) because of safety concerns -- whether real or perceived -- then I, at least, think you have a problem. According to the city's pedestrian study, in any case, it's not just us "city" people who are concerned about safety.

My point was that if you're complaining that you never use Metro Transit, then you could always use it. Next time you go to a baseball game or catch a show at Cowles Center take light rail and you can enjoy your tax dollars at work. That's all. Or don't use it. Whatever. Just don't complain about traffic or having to pay for public services that many other people do use. And realistically, given that you live in exurban location with low density, it's going to be tough to provide you with any kind of public transportation that will rival the convenience of driving. I find that unfortunate, but it's the reality. And it's not like people who move there don't know that; no one moves to Rosemount because of its stellar public transportation offerings. In locations like Rosemount, better to concentrate on commuter buses to downtown and then focus on walking and biking for the shorter/local trips.

I'm about the biggest public transportation/walking/biking booster there is; I just realize that there's not an unlimited pot of money and building a train just for the sake of building it doesn't do much good if only no one rides it.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:37 PM

and again--if they built the train/rail where people DRIVE they would ride it....

Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 PM

643 posts, read 1,033,868 times
I'm under the impression that metro transit use in the city stayed relatively unchanged while the growth they experienced was for the express and suburban cross-town routes.

I also think it is a little disingenuous to claim there are only 260,000 users. I believe that number represents riders per day? Do you really think the same 260,000 people are using the bus per day?

Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,445,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
I'm still holding out for basically a transit system at all. Downtown White Bear Lake is essentially inaccessible by bus. Highway 65/Central in Blaine including the National Sports Center has no bus service. County 10 from Northtown to 35W has essentially no bus service. The shopping center in Vadnais Heights at County E and 35E has no bus service. Highway 96 through Arden Hills, Shoreview, Vadnais Heights, White Bear Township has essentially no bus service. The new Medtronic buildings and Rice Creek business park along County J are only accessible from downtown Minneapolis(?!?). These are areas with lots of jobs and multiple pay levels. I don't think it makes sense to run a bus every 10 minutes on these routes, but woudln't it make sense to run a bus every hour or two? Or at least once or twice a day?
White Bear Lake gets rush hour service by the 262 line that runs to downtown St Paul. From there, you can get anywhere in the metro. I also know from research about taking a bus to see my doctor at a Vadnais Heights clinic that one terminates in the shopping center north of 96 where it crosses Centerville Rd. Between that bus and 262, I have two ways to get to or close to 96 and Centerville.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
I'm under the impression that metro transit use in the city stayed relatively unchanged while the growth they experienced was for the express and suburban cross-town routes.

I also think it is a little disingenuous to claim there are only 260,000 users. I believe that number represents riders per day? Do you really think the same 260,000 people are using the bus per day?
I assume that a large percentage of the 81 million Metro Transit rides last year were logged by repeat customers, but I think your point is still valid. And that's a LOT of car trips averted!

Interestingly, last year suburb-to-suburb routes did see their ridership increase dramatically last year, to a total of 1.7 million rides. Suburban local buses still only make up 2% of the total, but I would imagine that demand will grow in the future, especially as transit-oriented developments continue to expand in some suburban locations, or as already more "urban" in form areas like Richfield (just as an example that I'm more familiar with) continue to grow along existing transit corridors (like along 66th, which already has what appears to be popular high-frequency bus service). I'm assuming that things will also improve once the Southwest LRT really gets going. After it opens, of course, but even before then as development really gets underway. And I'm not familiar with the current transportation in the northern suburbs, but I'm sure there's room for growth there. And I see that while Northstar's overall numbers are down, the number of commuters (as opposed to the special events crowd) is up quite a bit, which seems promising.

https://www.metrotransit.org/metro-t...ops-81-million
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul