Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:14 PM

98 posts, read 510,848 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm missing something, but the U of M definitely has both an M.A. and PhD in Economics.

Graduate School Catalog : University Catalogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:45 PM

394 posts, read 1,518,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak11 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but the U of M definitely has both an M.A. and PhD in Economics.

Graduate School Catalog : University Catalogs

I dont think that was the issue. The issue is the UofM's tough, very tough Graduate admissions standards, as well as VERY expensive tuition. Of course the education is top tier, but very difficult nonetheless. Thats why its such a great school.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
I believe that the U only offers entrance into the PhD program, with an M.A. presumably earned along the way. That said, many of programs of that type (including at the U of MN) will help with funding, whether it's fellowships or work programs (teaching, researching, etc.). Of course that does add to the competitive factor, as top programs of that nature have a very limited number of spots and a very large pool of applicants.

There might be other, similar programs (not technically Economics) that might offer a terminal M.A. in the Twin Cities. I would assume that there must be something closer than St. Cloud?

If you're not thinking of starting a graduate program right away I'd move to Minneapolis first, see how things go, and then - should you decide to go with the St. Cloud program - make the move up there at that point.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,081 times
I'd try and get into the U if I could. Some things cannot be valued monetarily. Even if the money saved at St. Cloud during those five years of grad school were to somehow grow to a million bucks by the time you're sixty, you cannot replicate the recreational opportunities available here in MPLS.

And remember, in St. Cloud, ketchup is still a spice.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,622 times
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate everyone’s advice!!I have found that with a number of grad schools... accepting only applicants for a PhD program and offering the M.A. as optional to only those students. It’s difficult to find a school that offers only a masters program.And yes, I plan on starting a program next fall (2010). I think that just getting to Minneapolis first is the best move. Looking forward to checking out Minnesota

Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,572,574 times
I agree with previous posters, I think you'll do well in Mpls in spite of the reserved nature of many MN'ns. For one thing, at UM there will be people from all over the world, so you'll get to know many people who may be more open to making new friends. I moved here several years ago and at first was dismayed at the aloofness of MN'ns. My first friends were from other states, but gradually I made friendships with MN natives too. Also, in a city neighborhood like Uptown or Dinkytown, you'd be living among people from many different places, in the same situation you are in.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,529 times
Uptown or Dinkytown would both be your best options. I live in Uptown and there are many duplexes and brownstone apt's for rent. When you find a place that you are considering to rent, contact the Minneapolis Police Department and ask for the community safe officer for that particular neighborhood. They will let you know if the apt. building is safe and has had complaints. Uptown is in the fifth precinct and I think Dinkytown would be the third precinct. Uptown is close to the lakes, awesome restaurants, and generally a safe place to live. I've live in Uptown since 1992. Best of luck in your search.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 AM

29 posts, read 56,535 times
I moved from Philly area to MN a couple of years ago. I am in a different phase of life than you are but I will tell you that it's REALLY cold here in the winter!! For a couple of weeks (at least) you will have below zero temps. It can be pretty windy here at times too. If that does not bother you, then you'll be fine! What is really nice about Minneapolis is that many of the buildings are connected by walkways. So, you don't have to go outside! St. Paul is very nice too. They are both pretty clean areas... Unlike Philly!! Less crime too!!

You will love the blue skies here. That's one of the first things I noticed. Less smog. You'll have to get used to tornado sirens. Some of the storms can be fierce.

Don't know anything about the U of M...or where a single person should reside near there. (Sorry)

I will tell you thought that I miss PA. I am located south of the Twin Cities. I think there is more to do along the East Coast. (Philly, NY, beaches...)

Mall of America is very nice. I like it better than King of Prussia Mall.

People are nice, but hard to get to know.

Hope that's a little helpful!

Biblegal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul