Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 8,423 times

Advertisements

I have been researching the area and am pretty sure I want to live in Minneapolis. I have nothing against suburbs, but while I am still young and single I figure I better make the most of it! I also like the idea of being in the middle of everything and not having a long commute (given my lack of driving experience on snow/ice). I have been researching downtown neighborhoods and really like the Mill District and the North Loop areas. However this could change when I actually get up there and see them in person! Any suggestions?
Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:16 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
Downtown is really taking off; also check out north east/the east part of Marcy-Holmes (right across the Stone Arch Bridge from downtown) - tons of younger people, lots of interesting restaurants and bars, safe, convenient location, beautiful (I love that blend of urban industrial history and nature) and is overall a great place to live. Lots of housing options, too, with really something for almost all tastes (and probably price points). It's right on the river, too, and offers some great skyline views. It's also near the University of Minnesota and all of its offerings (educational, cultural, job possibilities, fun, etc.)
NorthEast Minneapolis Business Association

Visit Uptown, too; it's not downtown but is close, and it offers many of the same benefits.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 AM

27 posts, read 98,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelleinthecity View Post
I have been researching the area and am pretty sure I want to live in Minneapolis. I have nothing against suburbs, but while I am still young and single I figure I better make the most of it! I also like the idea of being in the middle of everything and not having a long commute (given my lack of driving experience on snow/ice). I have been researching downtown neighborhoods and really like the Mill District and the North Loop areas. However this could change when I actually get up there and see them in person! Any suggestions?
Jessica
Warehouse district, north Minneapolis, uptown (uptown is a bit uppity these days but still worth looking at if you can swing it). Getting a loft over in the warehouse district will put you right with all of the weekend bar scene.

They actually do a good job of keeping the road clear and, if it is icy or snowy, your commute will be slow enough that it won't matter how good/bad you are. With that in mind, you could also look at the first ring suburbs.

St. Paul is also really nice, and potentially cheaper.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,340,858 times
Also consider looking at the East Hennepin/St Anthony Main/Riverplace area located across the river from downtown. There's lots of nice shops, restaurants and bars in the vicinity of East Hennepin and University Avenue, plus a full-service Lund's Supermarket. This area is convenient to downtown riverfront and downtown.

If you're into biking, rollar blading, jogging, or simply walking, you'll really appreciate being close to either the river (if you're downtown) or the Lakes (if you're in Uptown or SW Mpls). They're tremendous amenities, especially during "warmer months" (Mid April - Mid October).

Old 02-10-2009, 03:05 PM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelleinthecity View Post
Jessica
I think we see eye to eye on some things. I am single and prefer the city to the suburbs in some cases. I don't live in the city because it costs too much and I am currently looking for a job. Actually, I am waiting for a reply on a position in Mpls so I can move in with my aunt who lives there. I currently live in the exurbs of metro Atlanta(Paulding County specfically).
I don't know alot about the Mill District offhand other than that is where alot of the grain mills were. Many of the former mills have been converted into condminiums. Here is more if you wanted to know. The best thing to do is check it out for yourself, but if that isn't possible at this moment, here is the next best thing:Mills District, Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzter View Post
Warehouse district, north Minneapolis, uptown (uptown is a bit uppity these days but still worth looking at if you can swing it). Getting a loft over in the warehouse district will put you right with all of the weekend bar scene.

They actually do a good job of keeping the road clear and, if it is icy or snowy, your commute will be slow enough that it won't matter how good/bad you are. With that in mind, you could also look at the first ring suburbs.

St. Paul is also really nice, and potentially cheaper.

And compared to many cities of its size, safer as far as violent crime is concerned. Mpls wasn't that bad either last year. I don't know about the first murder being in January could indicate, but the TC area over all tends to be safer than many major metropolitan areas. As far as cost of living, I can't say much other than Mpls tends to be more expensive than other cities(though not to the same magnitude as NYC, Seattle, SF, or LA).

Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 PM

27 posts, read 98,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
And compared to many cities of its size, safer as far as violent crime is concerned. Mpls wasn't that bad either last year. I don't know about the first murder being in January could indicate, but the TC area over all tends to be safer than many major metropolitan areas.
Oh, definitely! There are some unfavorable parts of town, but those are small and well-known. Some areas have a bad rap just because of sensationalizing on the news (case in point, some blocks of norther Minneapolis are best avoided but most of it is a good mix, but the news seems quick to lead off with violence in north Minneapolis).

Still, forewarned is forearmed and people should go in knowing that Minneapolis is a big city and comes with some awesome opportunities and some challenges. With that, one might want to check out:

The shots fired map: (Note, it's week by week and includes reported gunfire as well as shotspotter recordings)

Shots Fired Maps

Also, the violent crime reports: (unfortunately, by precinct so you'll want a city map next to you if you don't know the area. Also, the reports are by week, you can click the dropdown for earlier weeks).

Crime Maps

Oh, and good luck with your job search! Hopefully it goes well and you'll be here in time for our awesome summers (short as they are, we pack as much fun as we can into those months)

Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 21,499 times
No, you're not crazy by moving to Minneapolis. Welcome to Minnesota!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 PM

21 posts, read 67,196 times
I also moved from Georgia to Minneapolis a few years ago. Still don't regret it, despite the winters. Went back a couple of years ago for a visit (Atlanta) and could not believe the difference in the traffic, lifestyle, etc.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymn View Post
I also moved from Georgia to Minneapolis a few years ago. Still don't regret it, despite the winters. Went back a couple of years ago for a visit (Atlanta) and could not believe the difference in the traffic, lifestyle, etc.
If I did the same thing I wouldn't regret it either. Due to the fact that I can't find a job, I won't be moving to Mpls after all. I still wouldn't regret it if I did move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul